Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2022, 06:40   #31

Boat: O'Day 30 and O'Day 34
Re: My Journey towards full time liveaboard.

We setup a dog rescue system, with a
Dog Life Jacket
A Grommet
The boom shifted to one side

Not sure if this is workable for boarding your doggies but its seems a cheap option to use existing hardware.
Rob19321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:54   #32

Boat: 1983 34' Irwin Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Sounds like a plan, if you don’t get kicked out of the store it might even work haha [emoji12][emoji12]

Fair winds!
In all honesty, I am going to just order a Mantus Bridal Snubber system. I have found that engineers are often smarter than me, and I am not a fan of reinventing the wheel.

I will do my experimentation with the back up and light duty snubbers.
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_MO View Post
Good luck Dave, I know Patagonia well and have swam in the lake when we made a day trip from Bisbee where I grew up. Good luck with your new yacht!
Thank you! One of the funnerest things about this whole adventure, is that the Coast Guard let me use "Patagonia AZ" as the hailing port. Cannot wait to put that on the back of the boat!
Old 08-04-2022, 07:02   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
Note to self. A swim platform would make dog boat transfer infinitly easier. The next boat must have one. Research installing one after market, or possibly using the davits / cranes for one on this boat. That might interfere with the ladder.

Further research necessary.
I think Defender sells an inflatable dog ramp. Imagine a u-shaped inflatable section with some kind of non inflatable section in the middle that is slightly below the waterline. The dogs climb on this then in to the boat.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
omg that's hillarious!

I use 5/8" double braid dock line. Its anchor hitched to a suncor chain hook. I attach it to the chain as I veer it out and the hook is typically at the surface of the water, which means at least 10' is out. It is hitched to the cleat in the chain locker which is large, through the deck, and well backed. I veer out 3-4' extra chain when the snubber is taught.

I'm probably going to die.

Also, I made up a short strop of 5/16" amsteel blue (which has a breaking strength slightly more than the chain apparently). Its around 6' long and is brummel lock spliced to a more traditional chain hook. This goes on after the snubber is set, hooked up between the windlass and bow roller with a little slack in the chain between the hook and windlass, hitched to the same cleat as the snubber. This is to take the strain off the windlass (primarily any jerking loads) in case the snubber lets go for any reason. Its also useful for securing the anchor when its not deployed.
I am going to use a pre engineered system for my primary (Mantus Bridal Snubber), and do the experimentation with the light line and back up systems. I like your strop plan, I was considering something similar. I will try to attach phots to what I am doing now). The system came with teh boat. It is a.... 20' to 30' line that is about 1" thick. Tied to the chain mid line, to make a sort of bridal, then both ends attach to cleats on the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	276143663_1157035621505175_1466564709015811117_n.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	255650   Click image for larger version

Name:	277216714_501497445040500_8959581750887430451_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	255651  

Old 08-04-2022, 07:10   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob19321 View Post
We setup a dog rescue system, with a
Dog Life Jacket
A Grommet
The boom shifted to one side

Not sure if this is workable for boarding your doggies but its seems a cheap option to use existing hardware.
Thank you! I was running through all sorts of scenarios like that in my head. In the mean time, we loaded and unloaded twice a day, and we are all so used to it, there is no trouble, even in choppy seas. Both dogs have life jackets with suitcase handles. I come in close to the ladder (tie off), put my weight on the ladder with one foot, steady the boat with the other. The dogs que up, I grab the handle, they push off a little, and load in the boat.

It has been established the Vaqa has to go first, and Ares showed off that he can jump from the kayak to the boat with no help from me. Other than that, they have had no issues.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
I think Defender sells an inflatable dog ramp. Imagine a u-shaped inflatable section with some kind of non inflatable section in the middle that is slightly below the waterline. The dogs climb on this then in to the boat.

Cool, I will look into it. I envision that being perfect if I am at anchorage in some cove and snorkeling with the dogs. It would give them a place to rest, or board back in at will. I need to put some sort of heavy duty non stick on the fiberglass at the top of the ladder. Us going in and out multiple times a day is going to war it out. I also need some new ladder feet rubber thingies.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:34   #38

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We have, and are very happy with , the mantus bridle. And yes, there are a lot of different opinions on the "right" system, on pretty much everything on a boat.
On that note, I saw your cleat hitches on your current bridle. I recomend trying the way linked below. It's easy, holds strong, and is cleaner looking. It also comes undone much easier. In my opinion of course[emoji56].
You seem to be approaching life aboard in a very open minded fashion, and picking things up well. Good on you! This thread has been a good read, thanks. And keep it up!
https://images.app.goo.gl/GxenA2TMUtyhAV9p6Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220408-102516_Chrome.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	255652
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:41   #39

Boat: Dufour 385

Dave,
Couple of bare-metal comments
1. Always wear cargo pants. Places for misc crap you find and #2.
2. 3x5 notebook and pen. I open from the front for deck log info, and from the back for chief engineer notes. Handy to log movements and timing. "4/8 0900 ran engine 30 mins. Engine hours at end 450." Keep track of all engine hours, boat speed and time. To build your spreadsheet on fuel usage rate.As you move about you will see things to do. Note them in the back with info you need for parts. "Shackle 1" opening with 2" clear for snubber adjuster." Invaluable for the trip to the chandler.
3. Leave cell phone below. If anyone finds one in the Sea of Marmaras, it's mine.
4. If you use this blog as a log, check out log data requirements. You will need that down the road for license upgrades. E.g. hours/miles at helm in tidal waters.
5. We got doggie pee pads. Soaked up a pee ashore. Placed on boat. Dog knew where to pee and they soak it up.
Luck and Laughter!
Bob
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:45   #40

Thanks for opening up and sharing what you have learned. It might save me from making the same mistakes, and I can point to it every time my wife gets mad about me always buying shorts with so many pockets.
nmcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We have, and are very happy with , the mantus bridle. And yes, there are a lot of different opinions on the "right" system, on pretty much everything on a boat.
On that note, I saw your cleat hitches on your current bridle. I recomend trying the way linked below. It's easy, holds strong, and is cleaner looking. It also comes undone much easier. In my opinion of course[emoji56].
You seem to be approaching life aboard in a very open minded fashion, and picking things up well. Good on you! This thread has been a good read, thanks. And keep it up!
https://images.app.goo.gl/GxenA2TMUtyhAV9p6Attachment 255652
Thanks for the link! I feel a deep dive on knots coming up soon. I actually did not tie those cleats, the person who helped me anchor did. I am guessing my attempt would have looked worse.

I'll take an afternoon and your diagram one day, and just tie off a rope a couple of hundred times until it becomes muscle memory.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:56   #42

Boat: 2004 Hunter 44ac

This is a great read, and I love your open minded and hard working approach to learning.
Ltfdrebbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:00   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
Dave,
Couple of bare-metal comments
1. Always wear cargo pants. Places for misc crap you find and #2.
2. 3x5 notebook and pen. I open from the front for deck log info, and from the back for chief engineer notes. Handy to log movements and timing. "4/8 0900 ran engine 30 mins. Engine hours at end 450." Keep track of all engine hours, boat speed and time. To build your spreadsheet on fuel usage rate.As you move about you will see things to do. Note them in the back with info you need for parts. "Shackle 1" opening with 2" clear for snubber adjuster." Invaluable for the trip to the chandler.
3. Leave cell phone below. If anyone finds one in the Sea of Marmaras, it's mine.
4. If you use this blog as a log, check out log data requirements. You will need that down the road for license upgrades. E.g. hours/miles at helm in tidal waters.
5. We got doggie pee pads. Soaked up a pee ashore. Placed on boat. Dog knew where to pee and they soak it up.
Luck and Laughter!
Bob
Awesome! thanks for the tips. I have a hot pink (supposedly waterproof) holder for the phone that hangs around my neck when I need to take photos.

Still have not wrapped my head around logs, this is more just a brain dump for me to look back on if necessary. I officially gave myself a month of from maintenance worries after buying the boat so I could focus on getting some sailing lessons. That being said, I think I am going to see what hull cleaning at anchor is all about this weekend.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:01   #44

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42

Sir, what is the sailing course booklet you are studying?

Thank you for posting your experience. I'm following along!

All the best,

/mark
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1MGY View Post
Sir, what is the sailing course booklet you are studying?

Thank you for posting your experience. I'm following along!

All the best,

/mark
I have started with a couple of ASA training books. One is the basic Keelboat, the other combines that with the Cruisers lessons. I thought the first parts would be redundant, but it was really helpful to re-read. The illustrations were different, and even the wording. I'll be moving on to some other books after that. I don't have the titles with me now, they are all on the boat, but I will attach a photo of some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	275598625_922944995067673_2767529418381201108_n.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	255655  

Tags
liveaboard