Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 19:10   #46

Re: My live aboard plans..

Glad to see you're figuring things out. What boat you want is largely dependent on where you plan to sail it. Or should be. A lot of people move north and south on the intracoastal waterway from NY to Texas with the seasons. Some really neat places to explore. And you certainly don't need a pedigreed offshore blue water classic for that.

The purists love to bash modern production "Chlorox bottles." And I do, too! But for motor sailing up and down the ditch, they can be just the ticket. Lots of room and features.

I much prefer a tiller. Easy tiller pilot attachment, instant feed back and can usually be swiveled up and clipped to the backstay to be completely out of the cockpit at anchor. A big plus on a small boat. The tiller will tell you if you're sailing out of trim, thus teaching you to be a better sailor. But you won't see them on much over 30 feet. People like wheel steering because it gives them that big boat feel. And truly, some boats just can't be steered otherwise. But it adds considerable complexity compared to a stick bolted to a shaft.

If you plan on mostly coastal, intracoastal and near shore sailing, consider shallow draft to be a major asset. It will be more useful than a full keel. And that provides a great opportunity to segue into the multi-mono hull argument!

I watched an older couple motor into a completely full anchorage right at dusk. Too late, i thought. What poor planning I thought. Must be newbies. Morons. tsk tsk. What were they thinking. Then they motored their 30 ft cat right through the whole fleet and another couple hundred yards further in to set the hook in two feet of water. All by themselves. No one else even close. Ohhhh... OK.

Lots of decent Geminis in your price range. Iroquois', too. You might want to get on one to see if you might actually be a, a, well, a you-know-what.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:22   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post

If you plan on mostly coastal, intracoastal and near shore sailing, consider shallow draft to be a major asset. It will be more useful than a full keel .....................
'just a little puzzlement here,- Did you mean "more useful" than a deep keel or a fin keel? A full keel or a longer keel is often a design to allow for less draft.

Thanks for the great post,- just asking for some clarity on this point.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:35   #48

1990 Pacific Seacraft - - Crealock design Sail Boat For Sale -

1990 Pacific Seacraft 31 Crealock Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 14:33   #49

Thanks Sailpower....

I am still stuck on the Nor'Sea right now....I think it will be the best fit because of it's size and characteristics.

I like the Cape Dory full keel and of course the Bristol and the like...but the more I read up on this Nor'sea the more impressed I become.
Also reading The Capable Cruiser right now which is offering some great insight. Not too mention the lineage of the NS27 and the Pardey's.

But who knows, I may step foot on her and say no way...we shall see.

I took the dimensions and marked them off here in the garage/driveway today. Kind of trying to wrap my head around it's size. That helped visualize things.
Plus I have been watching a Cruiser Forum member's videos which are very informative. Even the things I have been considering (like compost terlet) have been addressed.

Gotta luv the information age.

Not sure how often they come up, I see a few here and there.

I would want to find a factory finished not kit model.

I have revised my boat budget to 40K or less.

Here is one I have seen on the usual sale sights...

1978 model for 42k

EVERGREEN, my much-loved Nor'Sea 27 - that I've owned and sailed since 1994 - is being offered FOR SALE BY OWNER. Both my wife and I have age and health concerns that highly motivate this sale; we are seeking a knowledgeable and caring new owner to give Evergreen a new home.

ASKING : $42,500.00

1978 NOR'SEA 27 CUTTER, "Go-Anywhere Heavy Weather Long Distance Blue Water Pocket Cruiser" - presently winterized and covered - READY FOR TRANSPORT on her 1994 custom-built tri-axle Pacific trailer - parked near Jordan, NY 13080, close to the NYS THRUWAY and the NYS ERIE/BARGE CANAL.

Evergreen is a 1978 Heritage Marine Factory-Completed Ship, Hull Number HLK001251278. She is a Federally Documented Vessel, USCG Documentation Number 603273, outfitted with the factory-upgraded two cylinder Yanmar 2QM15 Diesel, serial number 82578.

This aft-cabin model Nor'Sea has a well-protected center cockpit with a large comfortable cabin just aft. She was rigged with the personal approval of Lyle Hess as a CUTTER, with a self-tending (thus easy to tack) staysail, 130 % genoa on a Harken Roller-Furler, a fully-battened mainsail -with 3 reefing points - in lazyjacks (for easy furling), and a lightweight "flyer" (small, simple spinnaker). All sails are TANBARK - in excellent condition, new in 1994 - made by North Sails. All sail-covers are emerald green SUNBRELLA cloth, new in '94, also in excellent condition. Evergreen is a compact, but very seaworthy vessel. It's a real dream ship that can take you anywhere you want to go.

Sheesh...I sure hope this house sells quickly and I make a little something off of it.

M
BlueMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 15:14   #50

This should give you an idea.

sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 16:00   #51

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
This should give you an idea.

She's the reason I even heard of a Nor'sea in the first place. I really enjoyed watching her videos on Daphne.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 16:34   #52

Hudson Force, that is what I was thinking, alright. And to be honest, I had kinda forgotten about the long shallow keel underbody you mentioned. But you are quite right. The Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30 comes to mind....

What got me thinking about the right or wrong tool for the job was a recollection of a conversation I had several years back in Stuart, Fl. A very nice gentleman I met there was complaining about his 70 foot air draft forcing him outside to get around the new fixed bridges on the ICW. He went on to complain about poorly maintained areas of the channel that were shallower than his 8 foot keel...

The boat, a one off custom offshore race job drawn by his famous designer, had been his dreamboat for years. And he was as excited as an 8 year old at Christmas to have been able to buy it.
With unusual, but not quite enough restraint I replied, "Sounds like a great boat for long, fast offshore passage making!"

I felt bad about it afterward. He was such a nice guy. But I just couldn't help myself.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 17:20   #53

I just found her blog today and am devouring it..

Heres a very cool video of a NS27 and a nuclear submarine.....I kid you not

Old 11-06-2015, 08:49   #54

Well things continue to move at a brisk pace.
Still de-housing myself....I stuck a bunch of books and stuff on Craigslist & ebay and it is a PITA ....probably should have just donated them but tried to make a few bucks.
I have a feeling after all the fees are done Ill make enough for a six pack.

Having some simple things done to the house to see if I can get this sold fairly quick (crosses fingers).

Boat searching has been a real education.
After some time reading, studying and listening I have a very good idea of what I want, can afford and is up to snuff.

I love that little NS27....but little is the key word. At 49 I just dont think I wanna feel like I am camping all the time...but I still love the idea of the little guy. Just not sure if I would be comfortable...and that aint happening.

At least I have it narrowed down...

30' Baba
31' Southern Cross
32' Fuji Cutter
33' Halberg-Rassy Mistral
31' Dutch Flyer (this is an oddball one, but it looks stout and clean)

And of course the little Nor'sea NS27....

Got great news from the Doc yesterday, and have lost some needed weight...216lb's and dropping post heart attack...and am being weaned off some meds.... WooHoo! way to go heart!

Other than that business as usual and how can I make oatmeal palatable?

Ill probably keep this thread going more for myself than anything...will be interesting to look back on it in a year or so.

Everyone have a GREAT day!

M
Old 11-06-2015, 09:40   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi M - did you ever consider a Nonsuch? Such a fantastic boat for its size and so easy to sail.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:31   #56

You know I have seen them for sale but have not delved into them much.

When I get home I will give them a looksie.

M
Old 11-06-2015, 10:46   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

There are reviews of them available on line - a great liveaboard. You can see one guy on YouTube who raves about his (I think 26ft from memory) especially that it has a workable galley and a 'proper' head compartment. Good luck with what ever you select.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:15   #58

That brings up a point...
Small sailboats and showers...I'm not opposed to a sailor bath...had 'nuff of that in the Corps.
Bathing in the cockpit may be appealing if I am out by myself but nobody wants to see that otherwise.

And I'm not even that uptight about showering in the head.
But I think I may be willing to up my boat length to accomodate some sense of a shower. A pressure water system may be another thing to break, but there has to be some compromises.

I noticed a Moody boat and the Halberg-Rassy seems to have a better bathing set up.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
There are reviews of them available on line - a great liveaboard. You can see one guy on YouTube who raves about his (I think 26ft from memory) especially that it has a workable galley and a 'proper' head compartment. Good luck with what ever you select.
Ok, that is some pretty funky rigging they have...the insides look very good just not to sure about the rigging\sail plan.
Old 11-06-2015, 14:14   #60

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMaxx View Post
Ill probably keep this thread going more for myself than anything...will be interesting to look back on it in a year or so.
If you feel like writing about your adventures, why not establish a sailing blog.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote