Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 14:55   #1

Boat: Hunter, 33, 33ft
My Mom's name of course... TS Karen

About to go through my first Tropical Storm with my boat here in East Pensacola Bay and was hoping for advice. Anyone gone though a storm in NW FL before. Where should I be taking my boat. Boat US had some recommendations for anchoring. Anything would help at this point. Currently my plan is to leave her where she is as the waters are protected and usually flatter during storms like this than the intracoastal...
MarcTheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:40   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195
Most marinas will recommend evacuation as a matter of prudence AND liability. That being said, if you are up in a bayou or really well sheltered, Karen (for the time being) should not be a threat. Double up the lines, ensure that your lines will not ride off the pilings, remove Bimini and dodger, disconnect ground power, remove sails from main and jib, and seal your fuel tank fill port with aluminized tape or equivalent, check that the bilge pump is operational with batteries topped off. I am sure there are plenty of members that will offer good input on anchoring out, but I have no experience in that field.
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:34   #3

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: My Mom's name of course... TS Karen

Hello MarcTheShark. I was in Pensacola for Tropical Storm Isaac last year and anchored in Bayou Chico. At the far end of her just past Pensacola Shipyards (keep it to your starboard but don't go too close as there's a shallow bank there you will see ahead of a you a small cove. Between the shore and the first stick in the water is an area about 20+ feet wide with 4-5' of depth. Stay close to the stick but keep that stick on your PORT SIDE.

In the cove you'll find five feet of water and it's calm. Safe. Etc
Now with Seaweed I was able to go under that bridge and up (took the right side where the bayou splits) but it wasn't necessary. The cove should work for you -- provided you can get into it that is.

DO NOT anchor in the Bayou (depths of 17+ feet and a nasty fetch)
At least that's my advice.

I'm not familiar with where you are at present but if there is a way to get into one of the tributaries, that's where I'd head. Good luck. BIG ANCHOR and plenty of chain helps.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcTheShark View Post
About to go through my first Tropical Storm with my boat here in East Pensacola Bay and was hoping for advice. Anyone gone though a storm in NW FL before. Where should I be taking my boat. Boat US had some recommendations for anchoring. Anything would help at this point. Currently my plan is to leave her where she is as the waters are protected and usually flatter during storms like this than the intracoastal...
Can't help you with the location/boat/storm, but I'm married to Katrina and her mother is Sandy. Don't talk about weather for a couple of months afterward. Don't EVER introduce her as "you know, like the storm...". If the topic comes up, make sure she laughs before you do. If it's a big one, at least there's a bright side--they won't name another one after her!

Seriously, though, good luck with the boat.
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:14   #5

Boat: Gulf Star 36'

I guess we will be going through this storm together. We are in Shalimar Yacht Basin not to far from you in the Morning Star, a 36" trawler we just purchased a couple of weeks ago. We are going to try to ride it out here in the marina. We are in a slip under a shed roof. Hopefully the storm will continue to weaken. If the ride gets too wild I guess we will head to a hotel inland and pray for the boat to make it safely through the storm. We sure do love her.
Wishing you well.

Marsha on the Morning Star
Morning Star36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:18   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sorry for your mom, but this bitch was named after me. i have been advised so by my knownada brother who knows all.

makesure all is removedd from deck. tie furling securely or remo9ve
tarps''off. nature will take what she will.

worst dangers are from surge and current from runoff and from things blowing in the wind, you know--buicks,fridges, coconuts, trees, the like--oh, yes and roofs and houses and window frames an doors..everything ...DUCK.
find a mangrove location protected from surge and wind and hunker down well. do not be in a running current as it will bring things to you, like , bodies, buicks, dogs, fridges,what have you that was drowned an d swept off by runoff....mebbe even a chevy....
ç
çoh yes and anchor like an oil rig or find a mangrove situation out of flow of rivers or other currents,and well protected from rising water and wind
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:37   #7

Boat: Hunter, 33, 33ft
Well it looks like it will be weak if not gone by the time it actually comes close enough. I have everything secured and ready. Hoping this will be the only storm to head my way. The "savings" account I set up for boat emergencies seems to have a hole in it.
MarcTheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:23   #8

Boat: Gulf Star 36'

We are all prepared and tied up well here in Shalimar too. Glad to see Karen wimp out. Much prefer preparing for nothing than getting blown to bits.

Are you planning on staying on board?

Marsha
Morning Star36 is offline   Reply With Quote