Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2009, 06:28   #1

Boat: WILL BUY SOON
My Situation - I'LL Try to 'Summerize'

Thanks for reading and any help or criticism is appreciated. In keeping with my title I will be as brief as possible. I am 52 years old engaged to a 32 year old gal that has agreed to accompany me on my liveaboard lifestyle that will hopefully be a reality soon. I have just sold 2 businesses, and 1000 acreas of Mississippi delta land. I am in the process of selling my home and a building, that one of the businesses was located in. Currently I am doing the downsizing thing (getting rid of everything in the house). Thanks for this thread "How did you Downsize before moving Aboard". Unfortunatly,that is not working well, sooner or later a large fire will be in order, to get rid of the crap that did not get sold,donated, or destroyed in frustation. I have no love of sailboats,yet, however I do have a keen interest in living on the water. I am probably wrong, but I feel I can live cheaper on a sailboat and also enjoy life more .

My summary
1.Budget for sailboat $150,000.00, a broker told me I would come out better buying an older boat (10 YEARS) and getting a refit,not sure comments please.

2.After some research I am leaning toward a 35ft to 40 ft Island Packet.

3.Sailing school seems to be a must, how long will it take before I can leave Ocean Springs Ms.( I have family there) for the USVI and cruise the Lesser Antilles or any other such destination?

4.Monthly income from investments $3500.00, is this enough,will I starve?

5.I am no diesel mechanic, I don't know a wall socket from a extension cord. No electrical knowledge. No sailing knowledge,No weather knowledge.

6.I am having a hard time creating a orderly plan for all this, I am overwelmed but very determined.

Without directing me to the search engine could you comment on my adventure or misadventure. I am starting to become paralyzed by analyzation of all this.I guess I need some direction and order in this plan. For example buy the boat and then go to sailing school,or go to sailing school and then buy the boat. A "things to do list" would help. No matter what; I am doing this; if it hairlips the Pope..Any help would be great,including stay on land and forgetaboutit...

ps, anybody want to buy a 2002 Harley Davidson V-ROD, MY COST $20,000.00, will exchange for a high output watermaker, wind generator and solar panels...JUST KIDDING, BUT IT is FOR SELL
RELEASEME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 06:58   #2

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
As Captain Ron would say . . . "you dog, you".

I personally would like a boat that's comfortable and safe to traverse. I like wide sidedecks and real/useable steps into the cabin. High gunnels are nice too(keeps a lot of "dropped" things on-board.

Try to become energy efficient and self-sufficient(solar, wind and maybe a trailing generator).

ALWAYS travel without a destination in mind, even if you take side-trips along the way, the "destination", keeps the sense of aimlessly "wandering" at bay.

Sailing school should be a given, but also learn how to eat, drink and sleep on a boat.

Also . . . it would be nice if two people can pass one another without "touching", for those "moments" of discontent.

Just a few of the things I'd consider
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:01   #3

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Might I add . . . spend a summer or more in a sailing-friendly marina before you sojourn to parts unknown.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:07   #4

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
You'll get plenty of great advice from those far more qualified than me. However, I suggest that part of the fun is learning everything related to your goal of living aboard and chosing a boat. There is a lot to learn, but there are many great resources available, with this forum being one of the best. Additionally, in your situation, I'd consider a captained charter in the BVI's for a week or two to experience a bit of the lifestyle and learn from the captain and crew. A good BVI sailing/charter related website/forum is www.traveltalkonline.com. Go to the British Virgin Islands forum. BTW, is Fat Jack's on Stateline still in business? They used to have the best oyster and beer deals. Good Luck.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:07   #5

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
No matter what; I am doing this; if it hairlips the Pope..Any help would be great,including stay on land and forgetaboutit...
You may want to charter first, if you haven't done so already. If you haven't sailed before, you may find that you could be prone to seasickness with a severity that would make (ocean) sailing untenable. You may find yourself in a houseboat or trawler on a lake or river instead. I would do a charter before you go too much further.

Just my .02c
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:09   #6

Also . . . it would be nice if two people can pass one another without "touching", for those "moments" of discontent.

How much boat does that take? 35ft,40ft, or maybe buy a ticket on the "Oasis of the Sea"..google it
Old 18-12-2009, 07:12   #7

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
ResidenSea. LOL
Old 18-12-2009, 07:12   #8

FatJack's is alive and kickin. I know him personally and he is a good guy. He is just getting fatter, but who ain't?
Old 18-12-2009, 07:14   #9

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Tie a 30ft rope to you and your girlfriend and see if you can live with each other for a month.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:26   #10

Something to look at....
Welcome to Ashoreschool.com
Old 18-12-2009, 07:31   #11
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
You may want to charter first, if you haven't done so already. If you haven't sailed before, you may find that you could be prone to seasickness with a severity that would make (ocean) sailing untenable. You may find yourself in a houseboat or trawler on a lake or river instead. I would do a charter before you go too much further.

Just my .02c
This is the best advice yet make sure you spend atleast 10 full days and nights onboard to get a feel for it all- then decide?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:50   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Your getting all sorts of good advice here. I would listen and recommend following it.

I personally wouldn't follow it. I would just find a boat I like and buy it. Find a marina I like and move there. Learn to sail the boat for as long as it takes. Once you feel good about it and have learned as much as you feel you need to know then leave and go someplace fun.
You have plenty of resources to make a mistake. You can think about it and plan for months or years and the likelihood of making a mistake will be slightly lower or you can just do it and if you find you made a mistake then fix it later.

It is incredibly hard to really learn about sailing and living on a boat unless you are doing it. You can tell from this forum that everybody has a different way of doing it. Some like lots of gear, other hardly anything but the basics. You will never know what works for you until you try it out and make up your own mind.

I just wanted you to know there were less sensible people out here too.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 08:05   #13

Ok RELEASEME, everything you need to get started LOCALLY is right here...
OSYC Home :: Ocean Springs Yacht Club :: Sailing and Social Yacht Club on the Mississippi Gulf Coast

You could find lessons in many places including online but you need the hands-on. This place isn't cheap but it IS local.

On the other hand...across the bridge in Biloxi....
http://www.northstarsailingcharters.com/
ASA Lessons and prices.
http://www.northstarsailingcharters....115&Itemid=133
Old 18-12-2009, 08:40   #14

Boat: Island Packet 349
1. Within this budget you can get either an "entry level" new mass production boat at a lower range of your targeted size, or a larger and better built used one. Matter of personal preferences, but with an older boat you will be learning more quickly how to service and maintain it.

2. Island Packets are nice. Personally, I would buy an SP Cruiser (a motorsailer) in your situation, but you will need to at least double your budget, or triple it if you want a new one. Also, I would not buy a 40-footer as a first boat; I would get a "pocket cruiser" in a 20-26 foot range, learn to sail it, cruise in it for a while in different places 1-2-3 weeks at a time, and then either dismiss the idea or scale up after a couple of years.

3. I never went to a sailing school, so I can't comment here.

4. Should suffice if you don't have bills to pay.

5. Unless you want to cruise around a marina with a Tow Boat plan, you need to be able to fix every single item that you will need. In other words, if you can not fix (or replace by yourself with available spare part) something on the boat, be prepared to live without it.

6. Try to find someone to take you out in a sailboat. If you don't know anybody who owns one, just go to a marina and talk to people with sailboats, you may find someone who can take you sailing for a day (bring a cooler of beer with you). Do it more than once. If you get excited, sign up for a sailing school and/or charter a boat for a week or two. At that point, you'll have a better idea what to do next. Until then, don't sell your house.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 08:56   #15

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I'd take my 32 year old girlfriend to the BVI for 10 days....learn how to sail on a liveaboard class...make sure the instructor is older than you and losing his hair...
( I'm available) Then if you still want to sail and live on a boat...go shopping!

I'll take the motorcycle...in exchange for the lessons..!