Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 10:04   #16

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Need advice on boat buying in Florida

I hope Boat Poker will forgive my saying so, but I didn't find his self-inspection list exhaustive. I also drew on two other sites, and filled the gaps in one with information from the other. The three sites are:
Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey
Adrift at Sea ยป Boat Inspection Trip Tips
Inspecting and Surveying a Used Sailboat

I can write up my survey list and post it - I just have to find it since I did it on paper
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 10:09   #17

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Hi Cabin Fever,

I'm going to be putting up my 1980 Catalina 27. Standard rig with 4'10" draft. Points well and can handle sea. This boat is well equipped from original factory purchase. Double lifelines, Dinette version, Edson wheel steering and emergency tiller, Atomic 4 ( gas ) very dependable, Split backstay and rail w/ boarding ladder. Harken roller furling... Lots more stuff can send you a list. Shows age and would need bottom job, and that can be done on trailer. It's been used in the lake at Elephant Butte NM for the past 20 years. I booked it out ( NADA) at well over $22000-over $25000 which is insane but the books are nuts and I wish I could get even close to that amount. Any way my wife has gone through cancer twice now and recently a pulmonary embolism so I'm selling my boat. If this interests you at all I guess just reply to this post with a way to contact you and I'll send some pics and list of equipment. I'm wanting around $11,000 but I think we can put it together. It's in Elephant Butte NM if you're passing this way to Fl. I came out of Fl. in 2002 to take on the captains seat on the lake Powell ferry. BORING JOB to say the least. But I studied for my captains license and lived aboard on the East coast of Fl. for most my career. 100 ton sail, power, tow...She's still winterized and I have a video of her running when I hauled her last year. Hope this helps. If not good luck and stay strong brother. There's nothing like sailing!!! Ps. A trailerable boat gives you a great advantage for storms and yard work. Saves a lot of money which is why I went with this size boat. Again good luck.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 10:20   #18

I just finished reading the first link and am about to read the others.The first time I bought it was a case of "the best of whats available",from what I have been learning I'm surprised half of the yachts in the V.I's havent sank already,
and mine was a floating coffin.
I'm gonna weasel out and blame it on $3 a bottle rum
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 11:26   #19

Boat: Hunter 33.5

A few things:
I live in Sun City Center across from Tampa and have some local knowledge.
I'm a member of the Tampa Sailing Sqd, many retirees from the Military in the club, myself included.Legion and VFW posts abound
There are several marinas in the area for liveabords.
There are many rvparks in the area of Apollo Beach and Ruskin to live on the cheap.
Contact me at 813 613 4767 if I can help.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 12:23   #20

Hi,
My name is Kelly and I am the founder of My Warrior's Place in Ruskin, FL. We offer cottages for Veterans, Military Service Members, First Responders and their Families. These cottages are fully furnished and rent for $45 per night or $225 per week. They are one bed/on bath with full kitchens and living room. Cable TV and Wifi are provided and we are pet friendly as well. We are located on the water of the Little Manatee River 1 mile from two marinas and Tampa Bay. It would be a good option for you as you look for a boat. If interested you can go to our website for more information Home or call me at (813) 321-0880. - Kelly (Proud Gold Star Mother of Spc. Corey Kowall KIA 9/20/09)
Old 17-05-2015, 12:25   #21

Tom, my email is pjn33@hotmail.com

Patrick
Old 17-05-2015, 13:30   #22

Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"

My wife and I are in the Orlando area, and our boat is in Titusville. If you find anything in our area, we'd be happy to give it a first look to save you some driving - just PM me.

I'm sure others on here would do the same in other areas...
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 14:18   #23

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

Cabin Fever,

I'm a broker and I have a 27 C&C available that is in great condition. She looks like she may be 10 years old. She is quite spacious for a 27 footer. C%Cs are very good quality and this one has been well cared for. She is in a slip in St. Petersburg Fl that is a live aboard slip. You don't have to have insurance to keep the boat here. Sales tax would be 5$00-$600 depending on final price. see below:

Year: 1973
Current Price: US $10,900.00
Located in St Petersburg, FL
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
"Reveille" is in good condition and comes with a slip in the St. Petersburg Municipal Marina. The Yanmar diesel was installed in 1997 and has only 90 hours, it was just serviced with new fuel and oil filters.She was painted in Jade Mist Green Awlgrip in 1997, Furlex roller furling was added in 1998 along with a new main and genoa. In 2006 improvements were a new bimini top, mainsail cover, interior counter top and head, 30 amp shore power, VHF radio, lazy jacks, battery charger, refrigeration, and basic safety package. She is a great pocket cruiser with 6' headroom.

PM me or email dfoster6011@gmail.com and Ill give my ph. number.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 16:43   #24

As promised, my expenses for the last three-ish months (bought the boat Feb 22).

Category Amount
Purchase, Commissioning, Insurance $10,053
Boat Gear $2,129
Groceries $2,008
Food Out $810
Dockage $842
Medical $749
Boat Repair $828
Tools $421
Phone $142
Diesel $87
Other $131
Total $18,199

Purchase/Comms etc. also includes my flight and rental cars of about ~$800 while looking at boats (there's a lot of trash in Florida so I covered a lot of ground).
A little over $1,000 of boat gear were spent on new ground tackle and my SPOT. A large bit of boat repair was buying a new $300 water pump for the engine. I still have a bunch of groceries since I bought for a few months when I thought I'd be in the Bahamas for the majority of this cruise.
The majority of dockage and tools have all been incurred in Boot Key as I attempted to fix my engine. That, plus about $1,000 spent going to the Bahamas by air rather than by boat - would have already had an outboard on the back of it!
Food Out is relatively high for me, but I don't have refrigeration or a great galley, and at some point I just figured going out for a dinner and beer was preferable to hanging out on the boat - especially when I'm in port working on the engine!

As an aside, there are a lot of young cruisers I've met in Florida cruising without any kind of insurance. They are all very competent sailors, but it's in everyone's interest if every sailor carries liability insurance, similar to the requirement to drive a car. Also, since cruisers make up a very small number of boaters, while we use our boats much more than the average boat owner, our costs of insurance are probably largely borne by the 12-days-a-year boat owner, so it's fairly silly, IMHO, not to carry insurance. My liability was $390, my comprehensive and collision was $260. I assume you'd see similar rates. Best of luck with this new adventure,
Dan

p.s. I also bought my boat at Tampa Sailing Squadron, everyone I met there is awesome and they all took great pride in maintaining and using their boats. You could probably do much worse than buying a boat from a member there.
Old 17-05-2015, 23:44   #25

Location: Tampa Bay area, Tarpon Springs, and Clearwater Beach
Boat: MacGregor 26M

I live in the Tampa area and I'm looking for a sailboat in the same price range. Contact me and we can swap info or maybe check some boats out at the same time, 2 heads are better than one. I just returned from a 3 month sail in the Bahamas. I'm hooked for sure! Amazing!
irenepsyhogios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 05:24   #26

Recently purchased a boat from Massey Yachts in Palmetto at Regatta Point Marina. Ed Massey is wonderful.

Regatta Pointe Marina
1005 Riverside Dr,
Palmetto, FL 34221
941-723-1610
Talisman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 05:57   #27

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

Talisman II,

All true about Ed Massey. However, the OP is looking at 8-10K for a boat. Ed nor any of his salespeople will talk to anyone for less than a $50,000 sale.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 07:32   #28

Boat: Scout 30

For a live aboard anything under 30' is really on the small side. There are plenty available but you have to look at them in person. Pictures on the internet will get you started but they can be very deceiving. The more boats you look at the better informed you will be. Also, if you are going to live aboard at a marina in Florida you will need air conditioning & at least liability insurance. Unless you really love sailing a trawler is a much more functional live aboard.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 08:11   #29

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Only about $300 of that commissioning number was my $300k of liability insurance, FYI, and that's $300 for a whole 12 months. I went through USAA as I imagine you will (asthma kept me from serving but my dad did) and they farm out their marine insurance to progressive. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I only added comprehensive, collision, and towing after a particularly frightening night dragging anchor through much of garrison bight.
USAA does not write new business for recreational vehicles or boats anymore. They are an agent for Progressive.

Before getting a quote, decide where you want to be. Going from Alaska to Florida and living on a boat on the cheap is great, but you will have to get used to the weather in a hurry.

If I were making the change from Alaska, my first choice would be San Diego. Very mild weather all year long and easy to get to the VA via public transportation. Inexpensive small liveaboard boats are not difficult to find and mooring balls available - and still some friendly liveaboard marinas.

All of Florida is still cruiser friendly, but they are cracking down and closing anchorages and putting in mooring fields.

Insurance Agents can only talk insurance with you if they are licensed in the State you live. Liability insurance for a boat is really close to the bottom of expenses. Make sure to get polution and salvage included, especially in Florida.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 08:32   #30

Yes-I mentioned that USAA farmed this to progressive.
When I insured the boat I bought in Florida, progressive didn't bat an eye that I was cruising in Florida and up the east coast but had a home address in MD. They charged me the Florida rates and told me to call back when I was back north. I've had a chance to use the towing part of the package and it's paid for two-thirds of all my boat insurance already.
My Progressive liability covers pollution and salvage in the event that one is legally required to move the boat or clean up after it if it's sunk. Probably worth checking that for yourself when/if you buy.
A further note, progressive will only cover you up to 125 miles off the coast of the U.S. This puts most of the Bahamas out of your reach. So, figure out if that's somewhere you will want to go your first year.
Call up the usaa number and get connected to progressive, I'm sure they will be willing to walk you through your options.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
buying, florida