Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 08:33   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Need Advice on Buying a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
..................as they are a bit wide for their length and the deck is raised.......................
I'll accept all these valid comments about the mediocre performance and compromises of the Morgan OI 41 except the "deck is raised". I do know that the Catalina built "Classic" Morgan 41's have a higher deck than my 1973 Morgan, but I step 24" from the low point of my sheer on deck to the average floating dock. Even the Morgan Classics don't come near the high freeboard (raised deck) of most boats on today's market. In the early seventies the design did give such an appearance and may have been higher than many, but compared to most of today's boats, it's deck is low.
Old 24-07-2011, 09:29   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchaser View Post
get out on as many boats as possible & see what works for you
How?

Quote:
One word of advise. Do not think you can find a fixer-upper & come out ahead of the game.
I don't exactly know what you mean by "fixer-upper". I assume most old boats have something to fix. I don't know what types of problems are expensive for boats.

Quote:
Replacement equipment, etc is quite expensive. However, also do not be fooled into paying a premium for existing components on a seemingly well equiped boat if more than a few years old.
My main goal is to buy a boat that I can liveaboard w/o problems that would prevent me from doing so. My secondary goal is to eventually get it in sailing condition without requiring an unacceptable amount of money to do so.

Quote:
We two have lived aboard at anchor from Florida to Trinidad very reasonably since 2003 aboard a 36' monohull.
How do you make a living? I ask because I don't quite understand the implications of one who lives at anchor.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 09:52   #33

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'll accept all these valid comments about the mediocre performance and compromises of the Morgan OI 41 except the "deck is raised". I do know that the Catalina built "Classic" Morgan 41's have a higher deck than my 1973 Morgan, but I step 24" from the low point of my sheer on deck to the average floating dock. Even the Morgan Classics don't come near the high freeboard (raised deck) of most boats on today's market. In the early seventies the design did give such an appearance and may have been higher than many, but compared to most of today's boats, it's deck is low.
My answer was in regards to the OutIsland models, all of which had raised decks. You are correct that the Classic model had a much lower freeboard.

Classic: MORGAN 41 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Out Island: MORGAN 41 O/I sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:36   #34

30-32 is a great size boat for one or two people. What do you get when you go to 40 feet? Two of everything! Two heads, two sleeping cabins etc. A 30 foot boat is easy to maintain, a few pulls and the mainsail is up. Economical engine etc. I'm not sure living hand to mouth is a reasonable expectation though. You need some "kitty". There have been some amazing deals on 30 footers in the last year or so. Some very well equipped for $7-15k. But, as always, there are a lot of dogs out there with issues. You need to take the time to find the right one..
Key high dollar components: Hull, engine, sails and rigging. when buying, assume everything else, especially electronics, is not working unless proven otherwise! Have fun...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 12:01   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"what the hell is their problem? I'm not fitting to make a profit from a ton of fish."
Easy. You're a foreigner, alien, boat bum, tourist, and a PROBLEM comsuming their local resources, which BELONG TO THEM NOT YOU.

That's the way it is in most of the world. Want a job? Not without a work permit, sorry, not for you, there are limited jobs and they belong to the folks who live and vote there. Want to biuy land? Oh, come on, who lets foreigners buy land, except those dumb 'mericans. Want to overstay your visa? There's a nice, well, maybe not so nice by Western standards, cement cell you can stay in while that's being discussed.

Pretty much most of the world belongs to someone already, and very few of them want you to sully their horizon unless you've got someone to give in return. Like bucks, or skills, or a real good comedy routine.

Nothing personal. That's just the way it is, and if I lived in paradise? Yeah, I wouldn't want shiftless boat bums coming down to eat all my fish either.

Keeping a low profile, keeping out of sight, just hanging out, is a great deal harder than it was 50 years ago.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 12:32   #36

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Capt Lulz - where do you live?
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 14:03   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
My answer was in regards to the OutIsland models, all of which had raised decks. You are correct that the Classic model had a much lower freeboard.
Unfortunately, there's much confusion with the term "classic". The Classic Morgan made before the Out Island series has a fairly low freeboard. The original Morgan OI has a 41" height from waterline to deck. The Morgan "Classic", modified from the Out Island by Catalina has a still higher freeboard. Many newer vessels of similar length (Hunter, Beneteau, Island Packet, etc.....) have a far higher freeboard.
Old 24-07-2011, 15:44   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
Capt Lulz - where do you live?
No location mentioned on CF usually means............center of the universe

Lots of good advice already given - the only problem is that OP is not yet in a position to understand what he doesn't know Probably a couple of thousand similar threads already (and most have something of use - even if only as re-inforcement)..........gotta get wayyyy more hooky to kick off another longish one
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 19:06   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"what the hell is their problem? I'm not fitting to make a profit from a ton of fish."
Easy. You're a foreigner, alien, boat bum, tourist, and a PROBLEM comsuming their local resources, which BELONG TO THEM NOT YOU.

That's the way it is in most of the world. Want a job? Not without a work permit, sorry, not for you, there are limited jobs and they belong to the folks who live and vote there. Want to biuy land? Oh, come on, who lets foreigners buy land, except those dumb 'mericans. Want to overstay your visa? There's a nice, well, maybe not so nice by Western standards, cement cell you can stay in while that's being discussed.

Pretty much most of the world belongs to someone already, and very few of them want you to sully their horizon unless you've got someone to give in return. Like bucks, or skills, or a real good comedy routine.

Nothing personal. That's just the way it is, and if I lived in paradise? Yeah, I wouldn't want shiftless boat bums coming down to eat all my fish either.

Keeping a low profile, keeping out of sight, just hanging out, is a great deal harder than it was 50 years ago.
Old Man you got that right i got an Irei feeling about you.dvc cool runnings!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 07:19   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz View Post
I don't know what types of problems are expensive for boats.
You might want to go back and read my answer to you on post #5 where I list the expensive things to fix in an old boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 08:12   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchaser View Post
Do not think you can find a fixer-upper & come out ahead of the game. Replacement equipment, etc is quite expensive. .
I disagree. It can be done IF you know what you are doing. Generally this means, have been sailing and fooling with boats for many many years. In my case over 40 years. Using my experience with electrical, plumbing, fiberglassing, etc. I was able to find a fixer-upper and fix it up and make it worth more than my total investment (not counting my time). I could definitely sell my boat for more than I have in it in actual cash outlay at this point.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 08:33   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
I disagree. It can be done IF you know what you are doing. Generally this means, have been sailing and fooling with boats for many many years. In my case over 40 years. Using my experience with electrical, plumbing, fiberglassing, etc. I was able to find a fixer-upper and fix it up and make it worth more than my total investment (not counting my time). I could definitely sell my boat for more than I have in it in actual cash outlay at this point.
It's sure been true for me; that is, comming out ahead with a "fixer-upper". I've been on my "fixed-up" boat for twenty-six years after having my formerly new boat for twelve years. Despite this, I couldn't say that I would come out ahead since I've been putting money into my boat for so long. I don't always know what I'm doing, but I can usually do it for less money!
Old 25-07-2011, 09:21   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac

You might want to go back and read my answer to you on post #5 where I list the expensive things to fix in an old boat.
I've read your post, and I value the information presented.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 11:26   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
Correct from my experience but then I don't add in the cost of my time.

Current fixer upper, when done I expect to be cash out of pocket about what the same boat in good condition would have cost me, but I will have new sails, new roler furling, mostly new electronics, pumps, etc. So when compared a better boat I feel like I'm ahead since all that equipment, even if in good condition would not be new.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 11:34   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, Skipmac, I agree. There are huge differences in what people are willing to pay for things. On another recent thread there was a mention of spending $4,000 for a genaker and $7,000 for a main sail on a boat of similar size as mine. I bought both these sails, one excellent used and one new for a total of $3,700. Admittedly, they weren't kevlar or fancy sails, but they've functioned well for me.

Tags
buying