Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 13:32   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Born at North Shore, raised in Carol City and Long Key, now live in Hollywood. The area has changed over the past 50 years. Depending on who you ask some changes are for the good, some not. The days of dropping anchor just about anywhere you wanted are long gone. A bit too over regulated for me but that comes with the huge population that migrated from up north and the immigration issues since Castro took over. The waters from Ft.Lauderdale to the Keys are no where near as clear as they used to be years ago and Alabamy Jacks is a tourist trap no longer the place it once was. But then what a great place to jump off to the Bahamas and the Carib. There is always SoBe where some of the most beautiful women in the world come to strut up and down the beach, some of em ain't really women so ya gotta be careful. The fishin ain't no good. At least that's what we tell the outta towners. Get to know a few of those under educated fellers spoken about a few posts up and we'll take you to the best places. It'll probably only cost you a bit of southern politeness and a six pack. There's condo canyon eyesores but you can find anything you want for your boat or have anything done to it your little heart desires. Crime is an issue in some areas more than others, but it has gone down. Perhaps it's because the evil doers don't know which of the potential victims are among Floridas 1,871,589 holders of a CWP. Living aboard full time??? Good Luck. As stated before there are plenty of places behind private homes to tie your boat up to. If you can find the space you can pay through the nose for live aboard marinas or docks that are live aboard allowed. But unless your southern friendly to some of the old timers we're not too likely to reveal the home owners that will let you stay on board for great rates. There are more places to eat than you can shake a stick at. LeTubs the best Cheeseburgers you'll find anywhere, but then again if you're in a NY hurry they'll show you the door. Shipping parts to the Islands costs. Again, get to know the real locals who know what private planes head back and forth to the private island strips all week long. My best advice with the real estate situation as it is that you look for a condo that has dock space. There are some good deals where a mortgage and condo fees would be about the same cost as a live aboard space would be. But then I don't live-a-board full time in south Florida so who cares what I think.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 14:22   #32

Boat: private yacht always moving
After living 14 plus years in Fort Lauderdale the only thing I can say is

What Tellie says is right on,,
Dock space has gone through the roof in the past couple of years, they have cracked down on anchoring and liveaboards, sold out the marinas to condo developers because marinas could not afford the taxes any more, I know three marinas that sold out 5 years ago and still have not built anything on the ground or the construction was stopped part way through the project,

might take a serious look at the west coast or stuart florida and above,,, it should be cheaper, do your homework on a marina,, cheaper is not always better,,, lock the boat when you leave, crime rate has gone up
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 14:56   #33
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Dock space has gone through the roof in the past couple of years,
What does this mean really? Dock space in my area for summer only is $145/ft.

I'm a mooring person, that's $1750/season for me.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 15:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

in 2000 liveaboard I found a liveaboard dock for 300 per month, this went up to 800 per month in 2005 and was going to go up again. liveaboard in fort lauderdale is at a premium, you can find dockspace behind peoples houses cheaper but no liveaboard,,,, they have been cracking down on this,,,moorings in fort lauderdale are very few, and for a limited time by sunrise and the icw,,also the draft of your vessel has lots to say were you can dock, some of the canals are only 3 feet at MLW, up by las olas and Hendricks Isle there are several places to liveaboard but you are rafted together, not the way i would want to live, fort lauderdale is considered to be the yachting capital of the world because of ll the mega yachts,,,, lots of marinas have found it more profitable to get rid of the smaller boats and convert to mega yacht dockage,
Old 08-01-2011, 15:12   #35

might want to check out this thread

Liveaboard Sailboat Questions - SailNet Community
Old 09-01-2011, 13:39   #36

I just don't understand where these ideas about Florida come from! We cruise all summer, this year we did the east coast from the Keys up to Titusville. Anchored every night, no marinas. Never hasseled by water nazis. Anchor in gorgeous places. Visited great little towns AND even Fart Lauderdale!

In the winter we pay $295 per month for a mooring in the Keys and are part of a great cruising community!!

Marina prices are now only 40% to 50% of what they were a few years ago. Marinas are looking for customers, yes even liveaboards, and are competing for their business!!
Downtothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 13:59   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

We cruise up to New England in the summers and realize that the prices there far exceed the most expensive rates in Florida. We did take a mooring in Salem for two days for the cost of a week at the most expensive moorings we've found in Florida.
Old 09-01-2011, 14:07   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtothesea View Post
I just don't understand where these ideas about Florida come from! We cruise all summer, this year we did the east coast from the Keys up to Titusville. Anchored every night, no marinas. Never hasseled by water nazis. Anchor in gorgeous places. Visited great little towns AND even Fart Lauderdale!

In the winter we pay $295 per month for a mooring in the Keys and are part of a great cruising community!!

Marina prices are now only 40% to 50% of what they were a few years ago. Marinas are looking for customers, yes even liveaboards, and are competing for their business!!
Look around! We must be your neighbor! We anchored in Fort Lauderdale for a week last year without comment from anyone. We've also stayed at Cooley's Landing in Fort Lauderdale for less than the cost of a mooring in Salem, Ma.,as mentioned above, (ca $50 for 41').
Old 09-01-2011, 16:02   #39

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Man, I don't get the hate for this state in this thread. I've lived in Fort Lauderdale for 7 years, Orlando for 3 and now in Ft Pierce on my boat since Sept.

Florida is very very diverse and you have to pick your poison. Stuart on down the east coast is very costly and packed tight with people. It's a bit of a rat race. Orlando can be touristy if you live on the west side of town, otherwise it's a good family community.

But I think the real gems of the state are the places in between the "big cities". They're very laid back areas, not much traffic, a lot of spots are very very nice to live in and don't cost a lot. The only problem is that jobs in those areas can be tough to get depending on your field. It seems like a lot of the quiet areas of the state are where the low key retirees end up.

The keys can be the same. Parts are very touristy and busy, other parts are dead quiet and seem almost backwards. Actually, I think that kind of defines the state. Some parts are tourist, some parts a rat race, other parts are Hicksville.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 22:12   #40

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+
You can have it!

I liveaboard in Fort Lauderdale and between needing AC 24/7 for 8months out of the year and the damn lightning....you can have it! Also the hurricane scares are enough to drive you to drink! I am back in CA and our weather is the best! FL is a swamp and it gets HOT and HUMID, unlike any tropical area I have enjoyed.....
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 23:47   #41

Boat: Baba 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicyachty View Post
I liveaboard in Fort Lauderdale and between needing AC 24/7 for 8months out of the year and the damn lightning....you can have it! Also the hurricane scares are enough to drive you to drink! I am back in CA and our weather is the best! FL is a swamp and it gets HOT and HUMID, unlike any tropical area I have enjoyed.....
To each his own.

Being in Chicago, which is not only seasonal, but very very expensive in terms of dockage, Florida seems like a god send.

The closest thing that comes to mind is Sweden, where you have to put your newborn child in the Apartment Lottery so by the time they reach their 20s they have a chance to buy. I have heard of people being on the "Waiting list" for the premium Chicago slips for years and years.

As for the Heat, I agree can get a bit on the humid side, but I welcome my move to Florida in 2 months after enduring my damn last winter here. It is horrible.

Great thread. I have been worried about the live aboard situation in SouthWest Florida near Sarasota. As someone else stated it looks like they are really cracking down on the public moorings and liveaboard slips. I have yet to settle on where I will land once I find my perfect cruiser. I was thinking either Charlotte Harbor or Sarasota.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 05:11   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
To each his own.

Being in Chicago, which is not only seasonal, but very very expensive in terms of dockage, Florida seems like a god send.

The closest thing that comes to mind is Sweden, where you have to put your newborn child in the Apartment Lottery so by the time they reach their 20s they have a chance to buy. I have heard of people being on the "Waiting list" for the premium Chicago slips for years and years.

As for the Heat, I agree can get a bit on the humid side, but I welcome my move to Florida in 2 months after enduring my damn last winter here. It is horrible.

Great thread. I have been worried about the live aboard situation in SouthWest Florida near Sarasota. As someone else stated it looks like they are really cracking down on the public moorings and liveaboard slips. I have yet to settle on where I will land once I find my perfect cruiser. I was thinking either Charlotte Harbor or Sarasota.
I know Charlotte and Sarasota very well... When you get ready, look me up; I'll give you the down-lo on each
Old 17-01-2011, 06:25   #43
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
As the OP said, "Full time live aboard" There is a world of difference between visiting S.Fla., anchoring here and there for a few days/weeks at a time up and down the coast and full time year round live aboard status. The heat is oppressive during the summer on a boat, wind scoops just won't cut it for the majority since the summer winds at night can be non-existent so you are tied to a dock for A/C. Running A/C full time in high nitrogen enriched water brings a whole new set of issues. Speaking of high nitrogen water which you will certainly have if you dock more than a mile from the inlets. Bottom cleaning becomes a new task that you get to do at the very minimum once a month. Further back in and it can become a twice a month job. I don't care what bottom paint you have. As Tropicyachty stated, this is the lighting capitol of the US. Hundreds of S. Fla. boats are hit every year. Electronics get expensive. Hurricanes are a real factor, not as bad as the TV news doom and gloomers would have you believe but they do come through every now and then. The best holes will be taken up fast and the locals guard the best of them early and fiercely. Many insurance companies won't even cover you down here during the blow season, especially those bargin insurance companies, so if you are financing your boat you had better check with them. This is not a hate the state post because I don't, I live here, have all my life. But many times the reality is less attractive than the dream. I stated earlier, real estate is a bargin right now. Many condo properties come with dockage space and are a real bargin right now. This is the direction I'd be thinking. When added up the costs are about the same and you might even build some equity over time while you have the comforts of home and your boat within sight of your living room window. Oh, and if you think you can just anchor out in some tiny out of the way secluded area for free all year and not get hassled. LOL
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:15   #44

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicyachty View Post
C'mon down looks like room for one more opened up.
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:39   #45

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
We're t Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove in Miami -- 225 mooring balls, $295/ month, they have a pump out boat that will come to you on the mooring, shuttle service to and from shore between 7am and 5pm, a great bar on the water, little islands with picnic tables overlooking biscayne bay, great sailing wind everyday (US, Canada and Great Britain Olympic sailing teams are training here daily) and I can see the bottom from the cockpit.

Key Largo is a about 30 miles south and Bimini in the Bahamas is 50 miles east......you can do worse
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida