Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 17:35   #16
cruiser

Re: New Boat Purchase Questions

How do I get a title for the boat I built in the garage, then?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 17:54   #17

You might want to reread Smitty's post #7 on page one.

By asking this question, it appears to me that you may not be familiar with boating. I simply don't know, 'cuz you didn't say if this was your first boat, or first new boat. Maybe I missed it.

But, if you're new, you should get a survey. Or, you should check every SINGLE thru hull and hose connection. Why? 'Cuz in many cases, Paco at the factory was in a hurry to get home on Friday afternoon and the hose clamps were ALL left loose.

I've heard more "Damn new boat and things don't work right" stories than I care to share.

Get the message?

Most of the good advice you've gotten here are from skippers who KNOW boats. They, and I, wouldn't bother with a survey, since we KNOW what we're dealing with. I've been boating for more than 35 years and have owned boats since 1983.

You may not. I dunno.

As far as $$ is concerned, do a search on this or any other boating forum for the word ESCROW.

It works. And should for you.

Keep some $$ back, and don't complete payment until EVERYTHING works. If you don't know what that means, then either find a surveyor who can be trusted, or a good friend who knows boats. In fact, if you're close to any of the skippers answering this question, find them and they'll most likely give you a hand. I would if you were here. [My wife is originally from Toronto. )

Good luck.

PS Don't you have a CONTRACT with the dealer? You can't be doing this on a handshake, can you? GET IT IN WRITING...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 18:07   #18

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I had a friend who home built a 35 footer once, Jammer... there was a provision at the State DMV for home built boats, trailers, cars, etc. Once it was state registered with the engine serial number it was pretty easy to Coast Guard Document the boat. Hope that helps! Your State DMV may vary from State to State, though... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 18:46   #19

You can find an old boat in a field, no mfg name, no vin and get it registered. I still think this is low on the list of the problems noted above...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:34   #20

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Does anyone know a lawyer and surveyor in Rhode Island?
sailingirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase