Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 15:37   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: New sailing movie out on youtube

It seems not all that bad.

The story is a bit boring to me, but it may appeal to people who have had less exposure to the sailing / boating / vagabonding life.

The voice-over sounds a bit shaky and melodramatic too at times but this may be because the narrator is an amateur and simply just starting in this field. But its not too bad - I got used to him after the first 5 minutes or so. It is good to chose as voices people who are natural born story tellers. But any story teller needs to learn somewhere and then why not in a video story.

Their camera work is a bit off, with too much unintentional blur and out of focus but I put it on their equipment back then not quite what we have around today.

There is nearly no post processing work done. So next time guys charm a graphic artist into the team.

Music is good. Light is good. Storyline is very good.

Overall a good first try. Say 2.5/5 in my book. Great news you have given it a try. Each next one will be better.

Never listen to naysayers. Go get it, do it, try it.

Thanks for sharing!
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:53   #32

Nice to see these guys connecting with a few locals.

Some of my greatest and most rewarding experiences have been had by getting out there and making friends with those who live in the places I visit. That's how you get to go to the places and see the things that aren't in the cruising guides, the experiences that are most worth traveling for in my opinion. Have made lifetime friends that way.

Seems like I run across too many cruisers who are all too happy to have​ sundowners in the cockpit with their own kind rather than make the effort to meet different people on their own terms. Personally I don't understand this mentality but to each his own.

One thing I know, you're not going to get invited to visit private islands or have dinner at someone's house by tooling around the anchorage in your dink and chit chatting with other cruisers.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:32   #33

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Thanks for sharing this. I am 3 weeks into my pirate life.It is awesome.
honey badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 23:26   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

I enjoyed it a lot. Chesapeake pirate up here. Working on my boat slowly hoping to be ready in 2 years (budget and time restrictions) recently left my job managing restaurants to sell boats, have more freedom and work remotely in the winter and some summer.

Did you guys keep a blog? Would be nice to know more backstory. How much you saved to start, what your backgrounds are (you guys seemed handy) how you budgeted.

Money and time slowing me down from more serious cruising (fighting with my motor ATM) long time buoy rounder looking to do some miles. Cruising the Chesapeake during the refit. My goal is to only have the boat on the hard less than 1 month for my cabin refit.

I enjoyed the fact that you spent a lot of time talking about the repairs

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 05:41   #35

I'm sorry . I was the original poster and to be honest must have had my notifications off . Only come on after a very nice PM of a member .
I'm actually the bearded English guy that joins the boat in torrential rain as Alamar set sail to the Bahamas .
The movie does not have fit scantily clad ladies on it as one comment says . It didn't have a budget . All the tunes are original . It is what it is .
Half the people on here are never ever going to own a boat , never make a passage or never going to be happy with any film that does not either star you , someone dies , a boat sinks or a guy hits a container at sea and gets saved just as he's about to give up and die .

These guys ( my friends ) ! your right do like a smoke although not one bit of smoke has ever passed my lips .

But they are trying to follow there dreams .
This " you tube " video is better then half the ***** that's on tv for sure.

As far as "cricky" ! yes it's used in real life in oz and uk and if by trying to put down posters by there choice of vocabulary ? Come on ? No chuffing need ? It's a bit cold ! Or as we say in Barnsley Yorkshire " nesh " and yes we actually use that word .
Thank you for all the kind words by the way and the PM .
Sorry for the non direct link too . That link takes you through my Facebook page sailing scintilla . We've a brand new baby " Mabel rose " and aim to go live full Time on Scintilla (our 1976 david westphal sailboat currently moored in Freeport .
If any people would like to like the page Sailing scintilla you are more then welcome .

Thanks again and keep the comments coming in good of bad . I don't think a movie like " hold fast " ( with 100k views comes close to this movie but that's only me .
X woody , Rach and Mabel Rose
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 05:52   #36

Well observed . I think Kayne made it but I'm looking at making one too lol .
Old 21-05-2017, 06:08   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureStories View Post
I enjoyed it a lot. Chesapeake pirate up here. Working on my boat slowly hoping to be ready in 2 years (budget and time restrictions) recently left my job managing restaurants to sell boats, have more freedom and work remotely in the winter and some summer.

Did you guys keep a blog? Would be nice to know more backstory. How much you saved to start, what your backgrounds are (you guys seemed handy) how you budgeted.

Money and time slowing me down from more serious cruising (fighting with my motor ATM) long time buoy rounder looking to do some miles. Cruising the Chesapeake during the refit. My goal is to only have the boat on the hard less than 1 month for my cabin refit.

I enjoyed the fact that you spent a lot of time talking about the repairs
Working my way down the comments in between feeding the baby and getting ready to go for my Yorkshire puddings . I'll do you a proper reply later with all the follow up story and updates . Links ect . Thanks for the interest .
Woody
Old 21-05-2017, 08:03   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Woody,

I watched the entire video. I enjoyed it.
Your friends made a good video of their journey.
I liked the narration.

Some aspects or segments I liked seeing:
1. The work they put into the boat.
2. Their fun in water holes and diving
3. Their obvious comradeship with you and other friends
4. Their helping with the sailboat models for the children of cruisers

I also liked the music. Nice mix of unknowns, with some authentic sounding "friends playing for friends" tunes.

Overall I enjoyed this more than some more "polished" and promoted sailing videos. It was not as "slick" as some, but I think that is part of its appeal. Also, the end message the narrator gives is a good one.

Fair winds!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 17:48   #39

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

i associate "crikey" predominantly with the Australian continent.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, sail, sailing