Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 09:44   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40
New Semi-Liveaboard

Well, I’ve been in the process of identifying a boat and location for roughly two years. During that time, I’ve looked at a dozen boats or so... and an equal number of marinas. All this prep seems to have finally culminated in a boat and location over the past week or two (finalizing in the next 7-10 days). Now the stress really begins... childproofing, hurricane plans, insurance, security, learning to drive the beast etc... I a, very much looking forward to it. I’ll likely be in the boat 10-15 days a month, if logistics cooperate. I’m far from retired, but luckily I get to pick where I work to some degree. I’m normally a very private person but I’ve decided to be more sharing and engaging in this particular aspect of my life. I will continue to post as I finalize the purchase process and the move aboard.

Paul
PM2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 13:21   #2

Re: New Semi-Liveaboard

I’ll be keeping the boat at Loggerhead Marina in Hollywood, FL. Does anyone have any experience with this Marina?
PM2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 04:40   #3

Hi, in my small liveaboard I have precisely same issues with port above my head dripping on me in bed I guess my breath adding to the local humidity. I have chosen a simple small heater fan in the bow on the grounds that incoming air is by nature on the water, moist. I consider that a dehumidifier would never stop working due to the constant air replacement as the ventilation must be constant in a small space and heating is required mostly at the same times. Is currently working well but not really tested as it is not very cold yet.
Bigger boat might have different situation I guess. Good luck with it.
MrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 06:24   #4

Boat: Spindrift 43

Congratulations on the acquisition! You’re getting your family started on a great lifestyle. You can’t beat the part-time live aboard routine; marina life can be a great change of pace.

The next steps aren’t even all that stressful- well maybe with the exception of learning to dock something like that! (Pro tip: don’t bump into anything. If you do, do it as slowly as possible). Security isn’t really any more of an issue that it is for your house or your car. Loggerhead Marina is perfectly safe. I recommend enlisting the services of a broker for insurance rather than shopping around on your own- you’ll be more likely to get better rates and conditions that way.

Enjoy it, and congratulations again!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 13:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Congratulations on the acquisition! You’re getting your family started on a great lifestyle. You can’t beat the part-time live aboard routine; marina life can be a great change of pace.

The next steps aren’t even all that stressful- well maybe with the exception of learning to dock something like that! (Pro tip: don’t bump into anything. If you do, do it as slowly as possible). Security isn’t really any more of an issue that it is for your house or your car. Loggerhead Marina is perfectly safe. I recommend enlisting the services of a broker for insurance rather than shopping around on your own- you’ll be more likely to get better rates and conditions that way.

Enjoy it, and congratulations again!

Thank you!
Old 26-09-2020, 13:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
Hi, in my small liveaboard I have precisely same issues with port above my head dripping on me in bed I guess my breath adding to the local humidity. I have chosen a simple small heater fan in the bow on the grounds that incoming air is by nature on the water, moist. I consider that a dehumidifier would never stop working due to the constant air replacement as the ventilation must be constant in a small space and heating is required mostly at the same times. Is currently working well but not really tested as it is not very cold yet.
Bigger boat might have different situation I guess. Good luck with it.

I believe you meant to answer a different post.

Tags
liveaboard