Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2006, 21:49   #16

Hey Patrick.

I own a 1973 Catalina 27. Very good boats. I paid $3,500 for mine. Plus it comes with a trailer. And extras. Plus a project boat. Not a bad deal for $3,500 dollars!!

Yes. You need to stay focused on a bigger boat. You can find a project boat. You could buy a used ferro-cement boat? There are alot of nice ferro's out there. Have you considered that kind of boat?

Just keep hitting the wanted ads. And the internet. You'll find something, eventually?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 04:46   #17

Boat: C&C 27
Hooligan,
You may have a who you know not what you know situation. Patience, meeting the harbor masters and walking the dock may be your best solutions. There are a lot of older boats out there for free or near it. The catch is they are rarely advertised. In the past year I know of a Pacific Seacraft that went for under $2000 because the owner was ill and just wanted out. Another guy pretty much gave away an Islander 36. There is a Cape Dory across the fairway from me that I'm guessing will be sold at fire sale prices soon. The harbormasters and marina managers will know of these boats because they are often behind on their slip payments. I waited for three years before I found the boat I wanted to rebuild in the price I wanted to pay. I'm guessing that you have read Cruising on a Small Income since you refer to the Benford. Anne Hill makes some good arguments about buying and restoring vs building. If you have enough time to build you also have the time to wait for the right buy. Best of luck.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:47   #18

You should have got the 27. How could you not live in a 27 footer for $1500. Me and my girlfriend could both live in a 27. I would prefer to spend 1500 on a 27 than 10g on a 32. You'll find some good deals just keep hunting. I do cabinets also, these ones http://www.monticellocabinets.com/

I just wish I lived on the coast as you do...
WishIHadABoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:26   #19
Eternal Member

Patrick,

What you're looking for....a 30-40' sailboat in fixer upper condition for $10K... is certainly doable.

You will need 3 things: time, perserverance, and luck.

Recently a classic Sparkman & Stevens design, a 38-footer, which had been for sale for as much as $30K went for only $5,000. The boat was in pretty fair mechanical shape, including a newish diesel engine and roller-furling genoa, but needed a LOT of TLC to bring her back to the condition she deserves to be in. She's a truly lovely boat, and we figured it would take several years and about $30-40K to put her in very good overall condition, after which she'd only be worth about $30-40K. But, the buyer got a very good boat, very solid, very liveable, sailable, seaworthy boat for way under $10K. He intends to take his time and upgrade the vessel the right way, which was one of the reasons the owner was willing to let the boat go for such a ridiculously low price.

So, it IS possible. You've just gotta keep looking far and wide, let others know what you're looking for, don't jump at the first thing you see, and do everything possible so that Lady Luck may come a-callin'.

Good luck,

Bill
S/V Born Free
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 17:35   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Have no real input in to a bout for $10 k and personaly I could not go back to a mono, but saying that I reckon talbots comment on the footpath [ferro] is a goody.

One of my more memorable mono experiences [good] was sailing a 45ft footpath out of Southport seaway with around 30 to 35 kn on the nose. This thing just sucked up that heavy air. Don't think she'd be to flash in the light though. But gee, great fun that day, and a comfortable liveabord as well.

Good luck with your hunt,

Dave
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 18:37   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Patrick,
Welcome aboard!! Keep checking eBay. Look under ebay motors and then do a search for sailboat (one word), when you get done with that do sail boat (two words). It is surprising how many folks don't know how to spell sailboat. What I do is start with the highest price first and then page through to the bargain boats. There is no reason why you won't be able to get a 30 - 32 foot boat in your area with 6'4" headroom for 10K. The Mariner 32 mentioned before is a great liveaboard seaworthy boat. Good luck and Happy Halloween.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 14:03   #22

Boat: Columbia, Sloop, 45
Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser6003
New to the list here so hope I don't step on any toes.
Sorry for your loss but glad you are moving forward. I too have a dream to cruise someday but still have to work so went a little different path.

But, to address your question. I would advise you to search in all the unconventional areas. After I bought my boat and moved aboard I started talking to all the marina rats and found that some of the best buys are not advertised. In fact, right in my marina, an Irwin 37 is very respectable condition (hull and standing rigging excellent) sold for 10k. This was not a distress sale either but just someone done with their use of it after 20 years ownership.

Now at 6-4 an Irwin may not be the ticket for you but then again you may have to duck on most boats. My boat which is very old but quite large has only 6-2 headroom in many places.

In summary, look everywhere and talk to locals. I think something will turn up for you. Beware of the salvage and/or hurricane boats as they have hidden issues. There are some good buys in them too though.

Hope to see you out there soon,
m/s Miss Magoo, Columbia 45, #98
cruiser6003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 14:26   #23

a source

You might check out www.yachtSalvage.com

best wishes on your hunt

randy
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote