Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 23:15   #16
cruiser

Re: Newbs Leaving Everything to Sail the World..

Sounds like a wonderful pipe dream.
Attached Images

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 23:24   #17
cruiser

Re: Newbs leaving everything to sail the world..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureWorld View Post
thanks for the replies..

Anyone have advice for avoiding a life of bribes and the glares of locals?
Do you really think you're going to be able to just drop in on areas and steal the charter business from the local people without consequences?

My good friend in Southern California ended up getting kidnapped in Mexico and ransomed for $100,000 because his fishing charter business was getting a little too successful in the eyes of the locals.

Here in Italy, the local authorities routinely stop all vessels they suspect of being unlicensed pirate charter boats.

You're going to be getting much more than "the glares of the locals."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 01:39   #18

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american
Re: Newbs leaving everything to sail the world..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here in Italy, the local authorities routinely stop all vessels they suspect of being unlicensed pirate charter boats.

You're going to be getting much more than "the glares of the locals."
I sail around Thailand (Phuket side) and can confirm that the same is true in those waters. The moment the local dive, speedboat, or other charter companies think you're running an unlicensed business they will report you to the Thai government. And if the government doesn't take care of you quickly enough, the locals have a reputation of handling things on their own... in a not-so pleasant way.

Lots of stories of "attacks on yachties" around the area... which, when you dig into the details, amount to a private boat competing for business against the locals and violence being the result.

Due to massive pressure from Chinese tourists (and shady/unlicensed Chinese tour operators) scrutiny around this subject has increased to truly paranoid levels in recent years.

Recent case in point: A crafty Chinese businessman built a dive center on Racha Island; no license, no work permits for his (illegal) employees, no PADI affiliation (though he happily hung fake PADI signs), etc. Catered 100% to Chinese tourists, stealing tons of business from the locals. He ran the business for a while until he was run off the island by the locals. Wasn't a pleasant ending for anyone involved.

Here's news coverage of that story.

If you want to run a charter business in Thailand, find a local partner.

Or you could just stay home and throw your money into a wood chipper. That would be cheaper and less frustrating.
Old 24-08-2015, 09:24   #19

hah... you guys really don't like people asking questions on this forum huh?

again if anyone has real advice, countries with nice ex pat laws etc..

you're link seems to be broken.. Thailand doesn't like negative news
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 09:39   #20

Quote:

What you really want to hear is, everything is going to be easy and you will not have a hard time anywhere...

So here is it... "you are going to have an easy time everywhere"

Everyone has just given you good advice... take it... it is not easy at all! I am 43, just finished up 3 year circumnavigation West to East, I met a lot of cruisers all living on their bones of their A$$, why, because things break... A LOT. We thought we would supplement our income along the way... what a joke...

My advice... when you start a business, you dont use the lower estimate, what you are doing right now is thinking about starting a business using the low estimate...

I have owned 5 yachts, none was a sailaway... My advice is to take a diesel mechanic with you, he will be your bread winner...

Sorry to put a damper on your dream, but you really do need to be a bit more realistic. When you out there in some "hot ideal spot" with a tight budget, life can get a bit ugly...

Hope you find a dirt cheap boat and it all works out for you though!
Smourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 09:46   #21

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
The plan is to leave everything behind come April 2016..

Three high school friends (30 yrs old now)all pooling our money together to purchase a live aboard cruiser, which will eventually be used to create income through guided trips.

Out of the Three of us.. Two are total beginners and one has over 5+ years experience and his Captains License..

Our budget looks to be around 130k

Depending on if we want to do over night trips with guests or not will depend on how many berths we need..

if we just did day trips.. we would still want at least 3 cabins and 2 heads to to live comfortably enough.. we can rough it,, but this will be our home..

we want to explore and see the whole world.. but mostly we prefer warm tropical weather.. we love Thailand!

I want.. a Catamaran.. 40'+
for the safety, speed, shallow draft, living space, privacy, no heel, etc etc..

please point me in the right direction ...

our plan is to fly to Florida Area and look for a yacht in April...

what can i be doing to prepare?

i know opening a business in foreign countries can be difficult..

does our vessels flag matter? etc

tips/advice/direction anything helpful is appreciated..

thanks

-ADVENTURE WORLD!!!
Gosh that is brave… not the sailing the world bit so much as the "pooling money with friends" bit, particularly considering the "total beginners" aspect. I take it that the 5 year one is the driving force in this venture? I hope you are VERY good friends! I look to weather and see a series of line squalls...
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 09:55   #22

Quote:
oh and PortCyldeMe

the internet has nothing to do with this dream..

i helped my friend (captain) out as he did booze cruise party boats for over 4 years in Thailand..

and i even did a few with another friend.. renting a speed boat/driver and filling it up with young backpackers..
Well… I do know one or two who have made it round the world by sharing their boat with strangers (mostly young boathitchers) for cash and help with the boat. It can work… but these examples are with single people. I am also friends with the crew of a catamaran (Blue Marble) which was co owned by many young Norwegians who indeed are wonderful people and great friends, whose friendship even survived their shipwreck!

So it can be done…

Their plan was not open ended however. It was: buy a boat, sail across the Pacific, have a fantastic time, sell the boat… The last bit didn't work out but the insurance ended up being almost as good I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOC...ulGgkv9JCOUWfw
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 24-08-2015, 10:39   #23

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

I am sorry you are not getting the answers you are looking for. I am still in the dreaming phase so cannot give the firsthand experience that you seek but have found a couple of online resources with some of the information you seek. International Living does an e newsletter and magazine and markets to the expat or expat wannabe market. Lot of we will tell you more if you buy more but still a lot of good reading. I take their info with a grain of salt since their interest is in trying to make it sound good so you will buy more info. The other source is an e newsletter about overseas investment by Kathleen Peddicord. I do not remember the exact name of the publication but Google her and I am sure you can find it. I hope this is useful.
Jimmy4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 10:51   #24

Quote:
The plan is to leave everything behind come April 2016..

Three high school friends (30 yrs old now)all pooling our money together to purchase a live aboard cruiser, which will eventually be used to create income through guided trips.

Out of the Three of us.. Two are total beginners and one has over 5+ years experience and his Captains License..

Our budget looks to be around 130k

Depending on if we want to do over night trips with guests or not will depend on how many berths we need..

if we just did day trips.. we would still want at least 3 cabins and 2 heads to to live comfortably enough.. we can rough it,, but this will be our home..

we want to explore and see the whole world.. but mostly we prefer warm tropical weather.. we love Thailand!

I want.. a Catamaran.. 40'+
for the safety, speed, shallow draft, living space, privacy, no heel, etc etc..

please point me in the right direction ...

our plan is to fly to Florida Area and look for a yacht in April...

what can i be doing to prepare?

i know opening a business in foreign countries can be difficult..

does our vessels flag matter? etc

tips/advice/direction anything helpful is appreciated..

thanks

-ADVENTURE WORLD!!!
Well you should certainly sail to Thailand. If you do buy in Florida, then it would make sense to spend a year or two cruising the Caribbean, then head through the canal and across the South Pacific, to the antipodes, and then up through Indonesia. Or else you could of course start in Thailand. There are numerous ex cruising boats, often fully loaded with superb kit, available in SE Asia as many end up there and feel that they do not wish to continue through the Indian Ocean. Indeed a catamaran is not, IMHO as well suited to the likes of the Aghulas on a bad day as is a monohull (please try and avoid the usual cat vs. mono nonsense CF chaps! I am not an advocate per se of either, as they each have their differing strengths and applications), but does make a great deal of sense for your particular general floatplan, as can be a more spacious and "shareable" environment between friends, and may afford more space for paying guests. There is enough in SE Asia to keep you amused for a decade if you like the feel of the area in general, and while Thailand has visa issues, Malaysia does not at all, and you can repeatedly hop back and renew if you prefer the former. Have you considered purchasing there? Do indeed consider that a well kitted out ex long range cruising cat just in from a circumnav or similar could be a great option, as you will get all manner of useful kit and value already on her… Oh, and avoid ex charter and try not to be tempted by the "part owned" charter deals.

Anyhow it will be interesting to see how you go. Keep us informed!
Old 24-08-2015, 10:55   #25

Boat: Mauritius 43.4

why you don't think to start from med. sea you can have experience about sailing then you can cross to atlantic ocean to Caribbean
stadiatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:07   #26

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Trav you wouldn't believe some of the yachts here people pay to charter on. Sure they're not paying 500/day but there is a market for all shapes and sizes. Lots of budget travelers are happy to pay 50 to 150/day. Theres even an old mono anchored next to us now that charges 60/night to stay aboard at anchor through airbnb. So for some young guys that want to have fun and attract like minded people, theres a huge market. Especially if they blog their travels in a fun and interesting way. The privilege 42 on the link above looks suitable. A cabin each and share a cabin if they have 4 guests.
Cool.. This is why its good to get input from people that are actually there!

I have seen a similar thing where my boat is. People pay $150-$200 for a "Sunset Cruise". That usually includes 5 people and a bottle of champagne or wine. Unfortunately, these are all offered by the locals and I have never seen a foreigner doing it. Unless you became pretty well known in the area, I don't think you will be treated kindly.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:40   #27
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I hope you are VERY good friends! I look to weather and see a series of line squalls
with maybe a few lawyers and ex wives thrown in
Old 24-08-2015, 16:37   #28

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

Quote:

I'm certainly trying to be as straight and honest about my response as possible. Liking your idea has nothing to do with it. In fact, I *love* your idea, the same way I'd love it if I inserted me and my friends into the same dream.

At least in my case, you're getting a response from someone who has years of local experience in Thailand with the charter/dive companies, and who keeps his own sailboat in Krabi for recreational use.

If you don't want to hear that the locals don't want you running an illegal charter business in their neighborhood, perhaps don't ask.

Here's are some working links to stories on the topic:
Illegal dive shop shut down
Unlicensed Russian tour guide jailed
Boom in Chinese tourists creates problem with illegal tour guides
Thai tour guides strike to protest illegal tour guides
Tourism police vow to deport illegal tour guides

When you're done with those links, you might consider opening another tab on your browser and asking Google some of the questions you're asking us. Most countries (including Thailand) have government websites containing answers to all your questions regarding Expats and starting businesses.

If, after reading the official information (which won't point out that your dream is going to contain a lot of ) you still want to move forward, I would highly recommend you get in touch with people who already operate charter companies in your locations of interest.

Again, I am giving you advice from a good, well-intentioned place. For the past 9 years I've run my own business in Shanghai, China and learned a lot about Expat/business regulations around the region. Because I'd love to move my company to Thailand I've actually invested weeks of research into the topic - even traveling from Bangkok to Phuket, meeting with local business owners and Expats in my same industry there. What they told me about corruption (police and government), the cost of work visas (insane - think bribes), requirements on staffing ratios (can't hire an expat for a job that could be done by a local), and other serious issues... I've decided to stay in China, at least until I am ready to take a sabbatical or retire.

Anyway, I know none of this is what you want to hear... So, in closing:

Yeah, great dream! Nothing's going to stop you. It'll be (literal) easy sailing! Go for it! And please, share your adventures with us along the way. We love to be proven wrong
Old 24-08-2015, 16:53   #29

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
I'm certainly trying to be as straight and honest about my response as possible. Liking your idea has nothing to do Yeah, great dream! Nothing's going to stop you. It'll be (literal) easy sailing! Go for it! And please, share your adventures with us along the way. We love to be proven wrong
A guy I know in California who has a lot of experience out at sea has some really good advice he routinely dispenses to the many many people who come to him and say "we want to sail the world".

His response is always: "Go sail around the Channel Islands first and then decide if you really want to sail around the world".

You laugh but it's no joke. Sure sailing around the Channel Islands isn't exactly like rounding the horn and that's the point. Better make sure you can do that and still be willing to come back for more before getting any more committed to the venture.

"It's Southern California for gosh sakes how rough and windy can it get? We're not even going to need foul weather gear doing that".

Those are famous last words that were never uttered again by that particular boat owner.
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 17:12   #30

Boat: Vancouver 27

It sounds like you won't get hung up in the details. Maybe the charter business doesn't pan out. If it's something you really want to do with good buddies, well damn. Sounds like this wouldn't be your first adventure.

I went cruising on a 40' mono with 4 other buddies 6 years ago. Ended up getting into web dev to try and sustain a permanent cruising lifestyle.

The digital world is godless, but don't write it off so quickly. It can be a great way to make a living remotely.

Good luck.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail