Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 18:01   #1

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
No Customs Far Flung Islands

I had a stray thought today, as my third attempt at a vacation during Covid times may end up like the previous two attempts....all in vain, with cancelling this, that, and the other thing.
Are there islands out there with no customs enforcement? I'm just imagining there have to be. Maybe Henderson or Oeno Island near Pitcairn....maybe some uninhabited atoll in the Tuamotus, etc?
Maybe there's an official protocol, but with the reality being that nobody would bother you, if you happened to toss an anchor and hang out for a week.
Any thoughts?
Old 14-11-2020, 18:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: No Customs Far Flung Islands

Greenland

It used to be they had immigration, but you had to run them down to stamp your passport.
Old 14-11-2020, 18:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

A few places in the Caribbean: Vivorillos and other spots along the Nicaraguan Rise; There's the Roncador bank (mostly awash, but it'll give you a lee). Any place on the Honduran coast that's not a port (there's lots of crime there these days, I hear).
Old 16-11-2020, 06:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Maybe there's an official protocol, but with the reality being that PROBABLY nobody would bother you...
Fixed it for you.

The places listed so far are places where the odds of anyone from customs bothering you are very small. Maybe even very, VERY small. But the odds are NOT absolutely zero.

I only mention this because, if you happen to hit the jackpot, and end up being the one in a million who DOES get caught, the customs folks are not going to be impressed by the argument that, "everyone on the internet told me that it would be okay!"

Good luck to you.
Old 16-11-2020, 06:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Methinks you’re dreaming.
Henderson, Oeno, and Ducie Islands are all part of the Pitcairn Islands (British) overseas territory (BOT), with a local administration. The UN Committee on Decolonization includes the Pitcairn Islands on the United Nations list of Non-Self-Governing Territories.
Normally, visitors wishing to stay on Pitcairn, for under two weeks, do not require a visa or licence, prior to arrival. The Immigration Officer assesses applications, for short-term visitors to Pitcairn, upon arrival.

However, in response to coronavirus (COVID-19):
Pitcairn has closed its borders. No vessels apart from the Islands supply vessel are permitted to land.

See ➥ https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
And ➥ Pitcairn Islands

Old 16-11-2020, 06:47   #6

Boat: Bali 4.0

I guess the question is WHY?

When most island/chains will now allow you with either a covid test or a quarantine, why not just check in with proper protocols and do what we've been doing... enjoying that fact that you can sit and wait all this out off an island with zero (or often zero) cases.

Highly recommend it!!
Old 16-11-2020, 10:05   #7

Boat: Pearson 10M

your request appears to be quite selfish, can you explain why it isn't?
Old 16-11-2020, 10:16   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
your request appears to be quite selfish, can you explain why it isn't?
You have it backwards. You are accusing or suggesting that he is being selfish. You need to state why you think it is being selfish. Why should he justify what he wants to do?
Old 16-11-2020, 10:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
You have it backwards. You are accusing or suggesting that he is being selfish. You need to state why you think it is being selfish. Why should he justify what he wants to do?
The original poster asked for locations where it is possible to circumvent customs rules in order to gain entry where he otherwise wouldn't be able to visit.
Old 16-11-2020, 10:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
How else would you describe this?

In the middle of a global pandemic - someone is asking about how they can travel to a "far flung" island to enjoy a vacation undetected and without having to go through the trouble of that country's customs/immigration/covid protocols.

That means they are willing to put an entire island/nation at risk of infection simply for the reward or convenience of not having to check-in or not go through the standard protocol when many islands are actively open and willing to accept cruisers (as long as they follow the simple rules of testing and/or quarantine to protect the people of their island/nation).

Let's be clear, most of these "far flung" island nations also have a very limited set of resources and facilities to deal with an outbreak IF one should occur, meaning they are without question putting any number of people's lives at risk simply for their own enjoyments and/or ease.

I'm pretty sure that sums up the word "selfish".
Old 16-11-2020, 10:55   #11

Mind readers abound, don't they.
Okay, how about, which islands can be visited without having to go through formal procedures, or overly hassle with government?
This is a question about musing where in the world can one go now that doesn't involve the hassle of red tape, all too prevalent nowadays.
Maybe I'm harking back to centuries ago.
But, take it in the spirit of wondering about places with less or no restrictive policies.
Old 16-11-2020, 11:12   #12

Quote:
Okay, how about, which islands can be visited without having to go through formal procedures, or overly hassle with government?
This is a question about musing where in the world can one go now that doesn't involve the hassle of red tape, all too prevalent nowadays.
But, take it in the spirit of wondering about places with less or no restrictive policies.
I think the issue might be that you prefaced the original question with your frustration of red tape specifically due to covid interrupting your travel plans.

Obviously, the idea of "sneaking in" anywhere during a pandemic is risky.
A bit to you, but a LOT for the people who live at whatever island you're looking to sneak into.

Regardless... I would assume (even outside of a pandemic) that any time someone asks how to travel internationally but avoid the "red tape" of customs and immigration, clearly a pretty universal standard these days... the typical or correct response from anyone not actively trying to hide something would be "WHY?".
Old 16-11-2020, 12:00   #13

Let's try again. Let's leave out "sneaking in", "circumventing laws", etc...
I'll start calling you Karens. How would you like that?
Old 16-11-2020, 12:05   #14

Quote:
Let's try again. Let's leave out "sneaking in", "circumventing laws", etc...
I'll start calling you Karens. How would you like that?
Karen is a pejorative term for someone perceived as entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others.

Hmm what would you call someone who wishes to enter a country without having to bother with the rules? Selfish or maybe Karen?
Old 16-11-2020, 12:12   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
No Customs Far Flung Islands

Quote:

These days most short stay places have relatively simple clearances processes. Tourist traffic is near universal etc. What exactly are you trying to avoid. What do you regard as “ hassle with governments “ ie “
Your passport sir , stamp stamp , welcome to xxxx, enjoy your stay.

Centuries ago , you just got thrown into the slave pens. These days it’s just a bit of being subjected to duty free shops !!

Tags
customs