Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 15:11   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
No Tether Ashore ?

Who is living aboard with no tether ashore? No real estate, no car, no land job, no dockuminium, no land storage unit, nothing....nada....zilch! How long have you found this to be suiting you? I'm not saying that such cruisers wouldn't be renting a slip at a marina at times, but when they cruise away ALL they own is aboard. This is the freedom from ownership that has been working for us,-.....you too? Who are my compatriots with nothing they own off their boats except their bank accounts? Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:46   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Everything we own, except for a small box of old photos, is on our boat. Don't know if that small box keeps us out of the "Nada/Zilch" catagory. Getting rid of all our "stuff" was the most liberating thing we ever did.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:52   #3

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Give me about a month and I'll be Zip, Nada, Zilch...In the process of selling house, and all that it contains. Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty I'm free at last.....
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:02   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
House and stuff were sold in Oct 2008 when I started the journey in the car to live on the boat. Kept a storage unit when the boat was torn up, emptied that a year ago. We sold the car in Jan and have been aboard cruising since then, with all we own shoehorned into the "spare" cabin and head.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49   #5

Boat: Ericson 29
We lived and sailed California and Mexico for six years with nothing shore side but the kids. We've landed back onshore to help them out a bit. But next spring we'll be headed east looking for another boat and we will be packing everything we own. The kids will just have to manage.
Thanks
Funsail29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:21   #6

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Of course we're still living aboard at a marina with a car and shore side jobs -- which falls in to your definition of "tether". But we've never had shore side storage or a house rented out or anything like that. Even with 1 now almost 2 kids we manage to keep everything we own on board (and still take the boat out too )

cheers
(Cindy, schoonerdog's wife)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
'sounds to me like all of you are pretty much untethered. Yes, I do have the "kids" ashore, but they're in their thirties. We gave them our box of photos,- I don;t think the box of photos is a limitation to freedom. ...and Schoonerdog! We lived aboard for thirty years with the style you describe before we were able to cut the final cord in 2002! You're probably way ahead of our pace, but we also, like you, were careful not to keep a dock box and we kept a easy out for afternoon sails. I agree, you need to keep enjoying the sailing while aboard! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 13:35   #8

Boat: Brewer 44
my husband and i are *going* to be untethered....we are preparing for our circumnavigation right now (leaving this september! whoo hoo!)....we rent an apartment here in chicago so don't have a home or mortgage to worry about, and we are quitting our jobs and selling ALL of our belongings (including our one car) to beef up our cruising kitty...we might have nothing whenever we return, but we're thinking we'll be just fine with that . we are looking forward to 'getting back to the basics'.
Old 02-08-2010, 16:22   #9

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. Fortunately, we still have a bank account, cruising kitty, left (at the moment). We have a cheap car on each side of the equator (States & N.Z.) and a few boxes of mementos at the parents home. Everything else is on the boat. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:21   #10

just the 3 of us

We have been livingon our ketch now for 4 years,everything we own is with us Just us and a poodle we did have a collie but unfortunately she passed away last year whilst we were in Turkey. We have no income, but we clean the bottom of boats do some day chartering teach scuba and my wife who used to be a singer does a bit of singing.We love our life and after being in Egypt for 10 months are leaving in 2 weeks for India and then on and on and on..... No regrets ok we'll never be rich and can't remember when we bought clothes last, but have great friends great life and just wished we'd done it earlier
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote