Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2021, 02:10   #76

Re: Non NZ cyclone season options

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Before you call people morons who will not take the vaccine, you should first learn to source and read published scientific papers on the subject, before you make an urban myth general comment as you have. Otherwise, you come across foolishly.

I agree completely KRYG.

The OP asked a specific question and then goes off a rant based on the NYT information. And then begins to call people morons and idiots and disparage anyone who doesn't hold his views. I wish posters would stay on subject.
Old 16-07-2021, 13:41   #77

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Anyway, I'm on my winter cruise to the balmy north, will wander south again before the cyclones get me and am not relying on the media for my covid facts - I am keeping a very close eye on the toilet paper shelf at the local supermarket.
Good morning Raymond, good to hear that you are enjoying some sailing. I'm busy learning why the grass in NZ is so green and why they call Wellington 'Windy'.

You should be back in NSW just in time for what shall be known forever onwards as 'The Great Cull of Unvaccinated Aged'. Good luck!

I've just found out what the Blue Murder state is - in Victoria they are probably just as corrupt but better at hiding and getting away with it. Bashing grannies and pregnant sheilas is a clever distraction.

Meanwhile back on topic - just to take the curse off the off topic bits - Tasmania is said to be a good summer hangout but a bit chilly in the winter.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 14:15   #78

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Tasmania is said to be a good summer hangout but a bit chilly in the winter.
A bit chilly, Ping? What has given you that fake news idea? Bloody freezing it is...

Hope you are enjoying the long white cloud... the Comedy net misses you!

Jim
Old 16-07-2021, 16:54   #79

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Meanwhile back on topic - just to take the curse off the off topic bits - Tasmania is said to be a good summer hangout but a bit chilly in the winter.
When we sailed down to Tasmania the locals told us it was Summer. Pretty hard to tell.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 22:16   #80

'Code Rud' weather warnings across most of NZ just now https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...pics-and-video
esp the South Island.

I'm heading back muy pronto to balmy Patagonia... I wish.
Old 17-07-2021, 00:49   #81

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm having a terrible time here at Airlie Beach in Queensland. It's 27 degrees C (about 81 degrees F), hardly a cloud in the sky and about 4 knots SE breeze. Just finished a pizza and thinking about going up into the cockpit with a beer to enjoy the sunset in my shorts and T shirt. Probably be worse tomorrow.
Old 17-07-2021, 08:53   #82

It's obviously possible to sail to NZ in spite of the pandemic.... I wonder what the quarantine rules are. The one Utuber Old Seadog seems have made it to Wangerrai, though this would seem to be the wrong season..... who knows how many months behind his videos are.... presumably he's moved on by now. I'm curious as to his planned route from here.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 12:52   #83

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
It's obviously possible to sail to NZ in spite of the pandemic.... I wonder what the quarantine rules are. The one Utuber Old Seadog seems have made it to Wangerrai, though this would seem to be the wrong season..... who knows how many months behind his videos are.... presumably he's moved on by now. I'm curious as to his planned route from here.

Gone with the Wynn’s arrived about a month ago and their current videos are of the passage here from Tonga. Not the ideal time as the low followed by high cycle is faster and has fewer big highs in the winter.

Checking in is generally as per usual, except now you leave your boat on a Quarantine dock and are taken to a MIQ (managed isolation and quarantine) facility. They were taken to Auckland and ended up in one of the 5-star hotels. One video shot I saw had them celebrating a wedding anniversary in a jacuzzi tub in their suite (lemonade out of lemons?). I’m guessing they’re also using the two weeks to decompress from the passage and to produce the videos of their last weeks in Tonga and of their passage.

I’m not sure if you have to pay for the berthing on the Q dock, but if you’re not a New Zealander then you’re paying for the 2 weeks in MIQ.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 15:14   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Gone with the Wynn’s arrived about a month ago and their current videos are of the passage here from Tonga. Not the ideal time as the low followed by high cycle is faster and has fewer big highs in the winter.

Checking in is generally as per usual, except now you leave your boat on a Quarantine dock and are taken to a MIQ (managed isolation and quarantine) facility. They were taken to Auckland and ended up in one of the 5-star hotels. One video shot I saw had them celebrating a wedding anniversary in a jacuzzi tub in their suite (lemonade out of lemons?). I’m guessing they’re also using the two weeks to decompress from the passage and to produce the videos of their last weeks in Tonga and of their passage.

I’m not sure if you have to pay for the berthing on the Q dock, but if you’re not a New Zealander then you’re paying for the 2 weeks in MIQ.

Does anyone have knowledge of the actual official situation re entry of non NZ cits?

Nothing on Noonsite - which is still refering to the 2021 America's Cup in the future tense.
Last I heard was that a german boat had turned up ( last year?) - the boat was impounded and the crew put on the next flight out.

Australia did let a few boats with foreign nationals in from Fiji at the end of last year on 'humanitarian grounds' but that may have stopped after one boat crew made real dicks of themselves.

So - any official info?
Old 17-07-2021, 15:31   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Non NZ cyclone season options

Well this is from 29/6/2021..

https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19...d-small-craft/

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 19:50   #86

I just watched a bit of the Wynns on Youtube.

Just after 2 minutes - it seems that they were let in for 'essential maintenance'.
Old 17-07-2021, 20:44   #87

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Does anyone have knowledge of the actual official situation re entry of non NZ cits?

Nothing on Noonsite - which is still refering to the 2021 America's Cup in the future tense.
Last I heard was that a german boat had turned up ( last year?) - the boat was impounded and the crew put on the next flight out.

Australia did let a few boats with foreign nationals in from Fiji at the end of last year on 'humanitarian grounds' but that may have stopped after one boat crew made real dicks of themselves.

So - any official info?
You need to apply for permission using one of the compelling reasons:
Compelling need to arrive in NZ:
To reprovision or refuel
To deliver the vessel to a business
To carry out refit, refurbishment, or repair.
(that is more than minor in all cases)
For humanitarian reasons
https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19...d-small-craft/
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 21:57   #88

Quote:
I just watched a bit of the Wynns on Youtube.

Just after 2 minutes - it seems that they were let in for 'essential maintenance'.

Correct, they had an agent help them with an exemption application based on major refit. Based on their work list they’ll easily spend over NZD 50K. Heck, just new sails would be at least half of that, if they buy them in NZ.
Old 17-07-2021, 21:58   #89

So no change to the regs then.
Old 17-07-2021, 22:12   #90

Quote:
So no change to the regs then.

Yup, same as for the past 18 months.

Just saw an Outremer 49 named Kalea arrive at the Opua quarantine dock flying a Q flag this afternoon. A quick Google search showed that they had been in Australia as at June 2020, so I’m not sure if they arrived from Australia or from Fiji.