Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 12:20   #16

Boat: 1972 ERICSON 29
Re: North Carolina liveaboard Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Not true everywhere. I believe all the marinas in the New Bern area allow you to stay. I know for a fact the two in downtown had plenty of boats for the last hurricane, Bridge Point took a real beating and now closed.

+1 for Northwest Creek - the staff has a well deserved reputation for taking very good care of boats during hurricanes, is liveaboard friendly and I think has the amenities you asked for. We had very little damage during last year's storms and nothing for the last hurricane.

New Bern is a long trip to open ocean but has some great sailing in the Neuse River, Pamlico Sound out to Oracoke Island. And Cape Lookout is truly a gem.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
GraysonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
1. Are you a live aboard full time on a boat that does not move?

OR

2. Are you crewing a boat and staying aboard in a marina to manage and maintain the boat between passages?

Never had a "liveaboard" problem in any marina under 2. Have stayed in "no live aboard" Marina's up to 6 months at a time without problem or complaint.

My experience is the "no live aboard" is meant to keep poorly maintained vessel that do not move and may not run out of Marina's. I am sure you have seen many vessels converted to houseboats through neglect. What Marina would want this?

I own a boat that is able to move. I have a new engine, with good sails. Im glad you mentioned this because I never thought of it before. You are right, no marina would want that. I guess as long as you are well put together and your boat is too you should be fine? Thanks for the reply.
Old 30-10-2019, 13:17   #18

Boat: Marlow Hunter 40

Sea Harbour (Oriental, NC) allows vessels to remain in slips during hurricanes.
Jim Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 14:23   #19

Boat: Hunter, Passage 420, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Most marinas in Oriental allow live aboards.

Having had my Hunter in Oriental since 2012 very few will allow liveaboards. There are several marinas so check each one you are interested in. There are some on Smith Creek if you can get under a 45 foot bridge, DK about liveaboards though. There are a few more up in Broad Creek 18 or so miles farther down the Neuse River. Again DK if they allow liveaboards. It is a beautiful sailing area and I can't think of anywhere else in NC I would want to be.
onewadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 15:38   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Lambs Marina at Elizabeth City is inexpensive; open to liveaboards, far from "upscale", but a friendly place; excellent storm protection with boats remaining during tropical storms.

Belhaven, on the Pungo River, has Dowery Creek Marina. This used to be a major cruiser's stop with a few liveaboards. I thinks it's changed ownership. I'm not aware of their present policies.

Up the Pamlico River near "Little" Washington there's a nice place on the north shore. Look at the Active Captain charts online to find these specific marinas and their information.

Continuing south there are the excellent places,- Oriental, New Bern, and Beaufort/Morehead City marinas that those above have mentioned. Look at the Active Captain site or another chart source to view the Core Creek connecting Oriental to Beaufort. There is a Marina in a small cut on the west side of Core Creek just north of the bridge that could do you well.

Of course, you know the Swansboro area, but continuing south you'll find some opportunities at Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach.

Southport has a good location just east of the fixed bridge near Dutch Creek.

CAUTION: Remember, you're always more likely to be received as a "full time cruiser" showing up with a well found boat and payment than asking about living aboard over the phone!

My favorite would be Lambs with easy day sailing in the Poquoson River and a day's trip through Deep Creek Lock leading to the Chesapeake.
Old 31-10-2019, 04:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Lambs Marina at Elizabeth City is inexpensive; open to liveaboards, far from "upscale", but a friendly place; excellent storm protection with boats remaining during tropical storms.

Belhaven, on the Pungo River, has Dowery Creek Marina. This used to be a major cruiser's stop with a few liveaboards. I thinks it's changed ownership. I'm not aware of their present policies.

Up the Pamlico River near "Little" Washington there's a nice place on the north shore. Look at the Active Captain charts online to find these specific marinas and their information.

Continuing south there are the excellent places,- Oriental, New Bern, and Beaufort/Morehead City marinas that those above have mentioned. Look at the Active Captain site or another chart source to view the Core Creek connecting Oriental to Beaufort. There is a Marina in a small cut on the west side of Core Creek just north of the bridge that could do you well.

Of course, you know the Swansboro area, but continuing south you'll find some opportunities at Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach.

Southport has a good location just east of the fixed bridge near Dutch Creek.

CAUTION: Remember, you're always more likely to be received as a "full time cruiser" showing up with a well found boat and payment than asking about living aboard over the phone!

My favorite would be Lambs with easy day sailing in the Poquoson River and a day's trip through Deep Creek Lock leading to the Chesapeake.

Awesome, thanks for the info, this helps alot.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:29   #22

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

People that are recommending Northwest Creek have to know that the wi-fi there (still) sucks. It works... but barely and rarely.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 15:05   #23

Boat: Watkins 27

Dowery Creek Marina, Belhaven. New owners are a family who are on site daily. Great folks, spent Sept and Nov there this year. Showers, lounge, free WIFI, small store with usual stuff. Free laundry, courtesy car and real good at loaning tools. Cost me $250 USD per month for my Watkins 27, and included 30 amp electric and water. Yes, had to leave the dock for Dorian. No drama, they helped everyone move their boats to two protected creeks near by. Registered 100 mph winds and no boats lost or damaged. Cannot say enough good about the place. Be safe!
DaLuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 16:00   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLuz View Post
Dowery Creek Marina, Belhaven. New owners are a family who are on site daily. Great folks, spent Sept and Nov there this year. Showers, lounge, free WIFI, small store with usual stuff. Free laundry, courtesy car and real good at loaning tools. Cost me $250 USD per month for my Watkins 27, and included 30 amp electric and water. Yes, had to leave the dock for Dorian. No drama, they helped everyone move their boats to two protected creeks near by. Registered 100 mph winds and no boats lost or damaged. Cannot say enough good about the place. Be safe!
This is great news. Nancie and I always enjoyed this place. I'm glad to hear that it remains with the same amenities and friendly management that it had in the past.
Old 18-02-2022, 14:34   #25

Boat: 1982 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
1. Are you a live aboard full time on a boat that does not move?

OR

2. Are you crewing a boat and staying aboard in a marina to manage and maintain the boat between passages?

Never had a "liveaboard" problem in any marina under 2. Have stayed in "no live aboard" Marina's up to 6 months at a time without problem or complaint.

My experience is the "no live aboard" is meant to keep poorly maintained vessel that do not move and may not run out of Marina's. I am sure you have seen many vessels converted to houseboats through neglect. What Marina would want this?

I've never thought of it this way, and it makes total sense. When I had my last boat at the Washington waterfront docks, officially I couldn't live aboard it, but once they knew me, and saw I was maintaining the boat, keeping it running, upgrading, etc..they turned a blind eye. I never thought about it that way though, the transients that are passing through but staying a few months they had no issue with, but no liveaboards. If it's a non running, floating shack, yes i can see why they'd say no to that, but welcome a stranger with a running clean boat to live there for a while. Thank you very much for that bit if insight, because the reasoning had escaped me for all this time.
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, marinas, north carolina