Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 09:59   #1
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl
North Carolina summer bugs

This may sound odd, but we have several weeks in the summer that we can potentially duck down to NC and cruise the Abelmare and Neuse areas. Our problem is not heat, but bugs. The Chesepeake has enough flies to be a pia. But, can anyone on this forum give some solid advice on whether NC is a no go with midges, mosquitos, and horse flies etc. this time of year.We can put the trip off til Sept if that seems a better bug situation.

Thanks to all in advance of a rather trivial, but serious question
mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 15:17   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: north carolina summer bugs

mnh,

Sorry, can't answer the specific question, but can offer a solution that would allow you to go whenever you want, and as long as it is peaceful time at anchor that is the crux of the issue. Mosquito netting, as for beds. Make, or have made, a net enclosure for the cockpit. Soak same in Permethrin solution, and let dry. The bugs will come to the outside, if they land on your net, they die. This worked very well for us in the Solomon Is., where malaria is a real concern. If you're interested, PM me, and I'll tell you how we constructed it.

Ann
Old 26-06-2016, 16:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Permethrin is great stuff. You don't use it like DEET; you treat your clothes or your netting with it, let the solvent (which is not good for carbon-based life forms) dry, and your clothes shed ticks and insects through five or six washings. No one has found a health problem with contact with the dry stuff.

The insect problem is dependent on the amount of stagnant fresh water available in your area about three weeks before your visit, so no one can predict it for you. Anywhere in the southeast, summer conditions may produce insects big enough, and organized into gangs sufficiently, to steal your lunch. We also have a very rude saying about the size of our mosquitoes and their attraction to chickens.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 16:42   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20

Welcome! We got the bugs. Although in my experience eastern shore mosquitos (Maryland and Va) are in a class by themselves. Have screens and netting available and you will be fine. Wind on the other hand is not so predictable or supportive for sailboats this time of year, Sept would be much better. Keep your eye on the sky for squalls and enjoy.
There are great cruising locations in the areas you mentioned. It is a long way between Albemarle and the Neuse River with lots to see in between. Enjoy

I like permethrin products.
CarolinaCalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 17:28   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We just came up through the icw in that area and the green head flies were out in force. In a week we killed (and I am NOT exaggerating) about 1000. I was driving the boat and killing about 1 every 15 seconds from sun up to sun down. We killed so many we used the swatter as a shovel at the end of the day. They "go to bed" at night. Only the females bite but if you don't keep knocking them down you just end up with a swarm.

Premetherin and other chemicals had no effect. We treated the inside of our bimini and they just laughed at us.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 18:20   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Premetherin and other chemicals had no effect. We treated the inside of our bimini and they just laughed at us.
That's interesting, zboss. In the Solomons, flies that hit our net would fall off, dead. Maybe none of the ones you had were contacting the underneath of the bimini? Maybe a full cockpit enclosure would have given you more pleasant results. Incidentally, if you're motoring, you can see out just fine with such a net in place, but sailing, means using the sheets, and may allow some bug ingress.

Ann
Old 27-06-2016, 08:48   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnh View Post
This may sound odd, but we have several weeks in the summer that we can potentially duck down to NC and cruise the Abelmare and Neuse areas. Our problem is not heat, but bugs. The Chesepeake has enough flies to be a pia. But, can anyone on this forum give some solid advice on whether NC is a no go with midges, mosquitos, and horse flies etc. this time of year.We can put the trip off til Sept if that seems a better bug situation.

Thanks to all in advance of a rather trivial, but serious question
mnh
Hi MNH,

I cannot answer your question about your biting bugs in NC- but I can commiserate as we have the same classes of pests where we play too.

Last month there was a discussion on this forum where many of us shared what works for us. [Some of those strategies have also been presented here...]

In case that other post is of interest...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 27-06-2016, 08:53   #8

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

Given the choice, Sept is much better for breeze, the run between Alligator River and the Neuse, and sailing on the Neuse (to Ocracoke with lighter crowds, etc.) We much prefer Sept/Oct for the Neuse.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:16   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: North Carolina summer bugs

I'll add this note. If you're using the ICW to get to the Albemarle in June or July I would choose the Virginia Cut over the Dismal Swamp route due to the biting flies. 'Not that they won't be everywhere,- I'm just considering the fly density! If I had the choice, then it would be September for me!
Old 27-06-2016, 10:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Permethrin is great stuff. You don't use it like DEET; you treat your clothes or your netting with it, let the solvent (which is not good for carbon-based life forms) dry, and your clothes shed ticks and insects through five or six washings. No one has found a health problem with contact with the dry stuff.

The insect problem is dependent on the amount of stagnant fresh water available in your area about three weeks before your visit, so no one can predict it for you. Anywhere in the southeast, summer conditions may produce insects big enough, and organized into gangs sufficiently, to steal your lunch. We also have a very rude saying about the size of our mosquitoes and their attraction to chickens.
Lol. In Texas, they require an aircraft carrier to land and have the same attraction to Turkeys.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 12:01   #11
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl
Re: North Carolina summer bugs

Thanks for all the responses folks. It's not the heat, but the bugs that do us the wife and I in.We had our boat in Maine for 15 years, and sunrise/sunset were a total PIA.
Looks like Sept. Oct then. Much appreciated!
mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina