Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 15:23   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Nothing Like a Kick in the Butt to Overcome Inertia

When I was a kid, they explained inertia to me thusly: An object at rest will stay at rest until acted upon by an outside force

With my job looking like it's a lost cause, I've put my townhouse up for sale on Monday, and I'll be getting Sabre Dance operational for launch in October. In the mean time I have to get rid of Espina, and figure out what to do with the contents of said townhouse. But the die is cast. At least the broker sez things round here are hot, hot, hot and he expects a bidding war. So once the place is gone, its into a small bachelor for the next year, and get rid of all the stuff. I expect if it all goes as planned, Sabre Dance will be water borne by the end of October and I shall be officially in residence then. The bachelor will continue as a shore base as long as my job holds out, so I can warehouse and package stuff off as I go. Once the job is gone, the bachelor goes, the stuff goes, and I am 100% liveaboard.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 16:06   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
So....Uh....your gonna be homeless....like on that other thread?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Congratulations (sort of)!
Where are you intending to berth Sabre Dance?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Watch out! There's more to inertia. It's also the tendency of an object in motion to remain in motion until acted upon by an outside force. Your "Sabre Dance" moves could be terminal! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 17:32   #5

For the time being she will live at Lakeshore Yacht Club where I am a member. If things go to plan then hopefully sometime in 2011 or 2012 I should cast off, head down the St Lawrence, and on to Europe. From there it will be down the coast of France, Spain, Portugal, the Azores and back across to the Windward Islands, and then the Panama to the Pacific. Destination Costa Rica or the Soloman Islands. Who knows. I may yack up my breakfast on the gulf of St Lawrence and become a mountain man instead. But I'll give it my best shot.

Todays the first day of viewings, 3 brokers so far, maybe more. My broker seems happy with the way its going.

Sabre
Old 13-04-2010, 05:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
For the time being she will live at Lakeshore Yacht Club ...
Sabre
Cool!
I was qualified for residence at the former LPH, and my father supervised the building of the nearby water intake tunnel for the Water Treatment Plant.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 05:25   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post

Todays the first day of viewings, 3 brokers so far, maybe more. My broker seems happy with the way its going.

Sabre
What does this mean? Does it mean three other agents appeared to offer to sell yours or acting on buyers behalf?

Things seem very different to how it happens here and I am quite curious.

Simon
Kordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 18:17   #8

My broker lists the house and trys to sell it. Other brokers see the listing and bring customers. If they like it and buy the other broker gets 2% of the sale price. My broker would get 1%. If my broker does it himself he gets 1% and I save that other 2%. But the problem is most people don't like this sort of thing where the broker is acting on my behalf and their behalf. But he did bring one customer around today by himself so we will see what happens. The offers are to be in by 1pm tomorrow and I'll see them at 1pm on tuesday. Then I have to choose which if any I will accept and we go from there.

Anyway, Im getting sick of living out of my truck. Im an inverterate bachelor, and my place is comfortably messy. I can honestly tell you that my bed has been made up more times in the last week than in the last 15 years. And now I have to face........ Packing.

No wonder I stayed in the same bachelor apartment for 23 years before buying a house. But the times are a changing so its time to give up one lifestyle and go back to the best lifestyle.

Sabre
Old 18-04-2010, 19:27   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It's like a rock. If the rock tumbles in the current it keeps clean but when the rock stops the barnacles gather... or something. I rent a studio to keep the stuff that shouldn't and can't go on the boat. My truck is a lot closer so it gets the stuff that I need but not always. I'm bringing my trailer here from Alberta and undoubtedly it will get more stuff (extra tools?). Crap. I working on having a lot less. Good luck with your transition.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 11:29   #10

Two offers so far, one below asking price by $3K and one at asking price. I've rejected the first offer out of hand. Some people are just too cheap for their own good.

Sabre
Old 21-04-2010, 16:14   #11

Well. Stage one is concluded. The broker came over yesterday bouncing up n down like a puppy with a huge grin in his face. 5 offers to look at not counting the one I booted a few days earlier.

New lowest offer was $1900 below asking. Boot

Next offer was $5100 over. Hmmm

Next one was $11200 over. MMMMMM

Next offer was $15,000 over. MMMMMmmmmmmmm

Final offer he presented was $25200 over. Yowza!

So the offer was accepted, the deposit made and the house is gone at $25200 over a very reasonable asking price. My cruising kitty is now a nice chunk of dollars, with an unexpected $25k to spend on making her ever more seaworthy. I think this pretty much settles the engine problem. As soon as the matter is settled I think its time to decide between the Nanni and the BetaMarine.

I also have 62 days to sort out and toss a lot of stuff into the trash. Much as I hate it I'm going to be pitching books in a bin. No one wants them. Salvation army is about the only option besides the bin.

Anyway, more to come.

Sabre
Old 22-04-2010, 17:21   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Congrats on getting the TH sold. That would be quite a feat down here in Florida -- the market is abysmal down here.
Old 22-04-2010, 19:14   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Sabre - Try a used book store in your area. You still won't get any money for them but they stand a chance of staying in circulation...

Also for boat books try your local sailing club. Ours has a library and we've taken donations.

PS - Housing crisis? What housing crisis? Congratulations on your offer.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 17:56   #14

Well, the move is over, and I'm now in a 1 bdrm apartment, completely filled with boxes. I honestly tried to get rid of stuff, sent 65 cubic feet of trash to the dump but in all honesty i should have got a 2 bdrm.

Anyway, I'm now working on getting rid of stuff, and getting Espina ready. I probably missed a good chance to sell her yesterday but due to the pressures of moving I never got to finish getting her sailable and the fellow wanted to do so. I'll be getting her ready finally this weekend, so who knows. If not, I'll be sailing her till fall.

However, the one year plan to be a liveaboard is well underway, and seemingly on track for the end of june next year. So far, so good.

Sabre
Old 29-06-2010, 19:09   #15

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
<< Much as I hate it I'm going to be pitching books in a bin>>

I'm with ex-Calif. Find a used bookstore or two. They won't give you much, but that's what I do with used books (and my house is chock-a-block). And the guys I use (in the Beaches) will get rid of the ones they don't want.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote