Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2009, 12:36   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Occasional liveaboard in London, St. Katharine's Docks?

I live in Europe far from the sea, and hope to buy a yacht in the next month or so. Since I am frequently in the U.K. on business (once or twice a month), I am thinking about leaving it on the South Coast of England during the summer, where I will be able to get to it easily before or after my meetings in London, and wintering the boat in London at some place like St. Katharine's Docks or Galleon's Point.

Keeping her in London over the winter, I will be able to sleep on her and save the horrendous cost of London hotels (5 to 10 nights a month), which will more than pay for the slip fees, even at the posh St. Katharine's. Or will the marinas frown on such a practice? It's not exactly living aboard, or least not on any permanent basis, just a few nights at a time.

What do you guys think? Will I be able to sleep in peace? Have guests? My prospective purchase has decent-size holding tanks for both heads plus a grey water tank for the kitchen.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 12:46   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Dockhead, I can not answer any of your questions but I think your plan is fabulous. I wish you the best in formalizing your plan.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 18:24   #3

Boat: s/v Annapurna (Contessa 26)
I imagine every marina is different. But with my marina, I can stay up to 9 days aboard per month as a non-liveaboard. That isn't totally helpful, but it at least lets you know it can be done. If this marina doesn't allow it, I'd look for another one. They're out there.
Philosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 00:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosail View Post
I imagine every marina is different. But with my marina, I can stay up to 9 days aboard per month as a non-liveaboard. That isn't totally helpful, but it at least lets you know it can be done. If this marina doesn't allow it, I'd look for another one. They're out there.
There are a few marinas in London, but they don't exactly compete much for business so pretty much dictate their own conditions. But we'll see. 9 days a month would be plenty for me I think.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41   #5

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
St Katharine Docks
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:31   #6

Boat: Jenneau SO 47
St. Kats

If you can get a slip you will be fine. There is a big demand for space in the winter in London as the marinas are right in the city centre and much cheaper than hotel or Apartment costs. From time to time many do exactly what you suggest. As long as you comply with the Marina Bylaws (mainly no discharge in to the marina) you will be fine. St. Kats frown on ‘permanently’ occupied boats but if your boat looks like it is seaworthy and perhaps even puts to sea occasionally they turn a blind eye.

I'm going to be 'based' in St. Kats this August/Spet - if you are around come over and say hello

Kevin

Temptress of Down
Southsea
Portsmouth
UK
Temptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptress View Post
If you can get a slip you will be fine. There is a big demand for space in the winter in London as the marinas are right in the city centre and much cheaper than hotel or Apartment costs. From time to time many do exactly what you suggest. As long as you comply with the Marina Bylaws (mainly no discharge in to the marina) you will be fine. St. Kats frown on ‘permanently’ occupied boats but if your boat looks like it is seaworthy and perhaps even puts to sea occasionally they turn a blind eye.

I'm going to be 'based' in St. Kats this August/Spet - if you are around come over and say hello

Kevin

Temptress of Down
Southsea
Portsmouth
UK
Great; thanks for the tip, Kevin!

I have written to St. Kats to see if there are any slips available. I'll look you up for sure if it works out.

By the way, I will be trying to decide where to base my (prospective -- I'm just in the process of negotiating a price) boat this summer as well. One thing I have decided is to be somewhere convenient from London -- since I spend a week every month there on business anyway this will make it possible to sail much more often. But I have never sailed in the U.K. (and I have actual nightmares about sailing in the Channel) and don't know the south coast marinas. I started a list just based on transportation -- Brighton and Chatham come out on top from that point of view. Portsmouth is probably acceptable in terms of time to get there from London also, but less convenient. But what I can't evaluate at all, lacking all experience, is -- where is the better sailing on the south coast? Can you give me any tips on that subject?

Regards, Dockhead
Old 03-04-2009, 06:46   #8

Boat: Jenneau SO 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Great; thanks for the tip, Kevin!
......-- where is the better sailing on the south coast? Can you give me any tips on that subject?....
Depends. There is nowhere to go from Brighton and the marina there is a bit dull. Most of the sailing in the South coast is in the Solent. Portsmouth, Southampton, Hamble, Lymington area but space is expensive. All these are an easy drive from London although the roads can get very busy Friday and Sunder Evenings with folks escaping for the weekend. London has something like 24 Million residents and none of them seem to like living there.

If you like MUD and drying tidal rivers you could try the east coast also easily accessible from London.

Personally I don't like Chatham on the River Medway or the East Coast (keep going aground there) but lots of folks do - try asking this question on the UK Yachting & Boating World home | sailing news, boats for sale, sailing forums, marine companies forums and you will get all sorts of recommendations some of which may well be true....
Temptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:17   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Kevin. I guess I need to get a pilot book and start figuring out the area. Thanks for the tip on forum. See you in St. Kats in the fall, I hope. Cheers, Dockhead.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:49   #10

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
i'm on chichester marina and that's nice as you have some kind of inland sea to sail when bad weather. easy by train from waterloo to havant then with taxi. but marina cost lots of £££

google maps is your friend
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:10   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where do you usually go from there for weekends or 4-5 day cruises? Are there good anchorages, interesting places to go?

Tags
liveaboard