Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2024, 07:56   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: ... of no fixed abode (aboard!) ... what is my address?!

By the way, you'll find visiting the USA that you will occasionally need actual cash to pay for things, and many small banks in the places you'll be cruising will look cross-eyed at you pulling out some European card to try and get cash. I used to hire quite a few European students each summer and they had to get a USA bank account in order to receive their pay and to be able to access their pay. For example, lots of small boatyards will only accept cash or checks for payment of services. In New England you'll find lots of small shops and restaurants that only take cash.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:08   #17

Residency is much more than just a mailing address.

There are MANY hugely important attributes associated with establishing a residency and the rules and regulations apply very specifically to each.

A useful guide for the UK:

https://adamfayed.com/expats-guide-t...elpful-points/
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Ray View Post
As we embark on his new life, one in which an address and phone number are required for transactions, especially and including online banking... WHAT do you do?! What solutions are there for receiving the odd letter and especially, with SIMs changing from country to country, online payment and banking verification issues?!
:thankx:
We have a mailbox in a UPS store

My Name
XXXX Lakeshore Rd. XXXXXX
Suite 210 ... (actually box 210 )

They will store and/or forward as we desire.

Works for Revenue Canada, Drivers license, banking ect.
Been using it for about 30 years with no problems.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:47   #19

no fixed abode challenges:

A big one - Health care and insurance [and other social benefits].

Example:

If you are a UK national living outside the UK, you will not generally be able to use NHS services for free when visiting the UK. You will need to take out travel insurance cover when visiting the UK, as you would when visiting any other country. Any treatment you may have to pay for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.

https://expatnetwork.com/health-insu...living-abroad/

Will Your United Kingdom Health Insurance Cover You Abroad?
If you are moving abroad permanently, you will no longer automatically be entitled to medical treatment under standard NHS rules. (The NHS is a residence-based healthcare system). In short, if you are not contributing to the taxation system that funds the NHS, you are not eligible for NHS coverage. It would be best to look for reliable health insurance for Brits living abroad that will make medical services more accessible and affordable.

Before you move abroad, you will have to notify your GP, so you and your family are removed from the NHS register. Talk with the staff about how you can access your file if needed for overseas transactions.

Access to UK Health Insurance in EU Countries
There used to be no problem in national healthcare accessibility for UK expats visiting or living in the EU. If UK residents decided to live permanently in another EU country, they were eligible for the healthcare service offered in that area, provided they remained legal residents there. UK residents living abroad could also get treatment on their return to their homeland.

However, this is no longer applicable after the UK exit from the EU. This has affected UK expats abroad, as they will no longer have access to the NHS when they visit the country. They will no longer be able to enjoy the medical benefits they used to before December 31, 2020.

New healthcare agreements have been made between the UK and the EU, affecting UK expats abroad. Read more about the new Global Health Insurance Card - GHIC card.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/

UK Healthcare Agreements With Other Countries
The United Kingdom has reciprocal healthcare agreements with several non-EU countries and jurisdictions. They include Anguilla, Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, British Virgin Islands, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Israel, Jersey, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Montserrat, New Zealand, St Helena, Serbia, and Turks and Caicos Islands.

In most cases, these agreements only cover emergency healthcare at public hospitals. As such, expats from the UK should not consider them a substitute for comprehensive health coverage. It is still advisable to get comprehensive health insurance for peace of mind.

How To Access Healthcare Abroad
Before leaving for your new destination, it is essential to check what health services are available to you in that country. Many countries have based their healthcare systems partially on the NHS model. However, that does not mean that they will include all the same services and benefits that the NHS provides.

In most cases, you will have to register with the relevant authorities in your new country. Once you can legally work and contribute to payroll deductions or other national insurance programs, you will be entitled to register for public healthcare services.

The process for registering into the local healthcare system varies widely amongst different countries. Some countries may deem you eligible for public insurance coverage as soon as you start working, while some will require you to stay in the country for several years before being granted access to the healthcare system.

Government Recommendations For UK Expats Abroad
The UK government has extensive resources for British citizens living abroad. You can use the gov.uk healthcare guides to determine what rules apply in the country you are moving to.

Additionally, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) also provides valuable information for UK expats abroad, including information on healthcare in foreign countries. You may also find tips on how to select a reliable and legitimate provider of health insurance for Brits living abroad.
Old 03-02-2024, 13:41   #20

So Lo-Ray, you stated in your PM that pursuing US Citizenship was not on the bucket list. Admittedly our bucket seems to have some holes in it, that even good ole Henry and Liza can't seem to fix.

If you do apply for a B1/B2 address, y'all going to need to list a permanent address; the one that you can prove you have ties to and clear strong motivation to return to. Do not state the rhetorical question of "What is my address?! to the immigration and border control personnel. That will be a non-starter. Instead of receiving a B1/B2 visa, you will receive a Bye / Bye.
Your response needs to be definitive and immediate, not hesitant or vague. Should have similar clarity when discussing with border control personnel of all countries.

I am amazed that someone did not take the humorous opportunity to hijack this thread when I earlier posted:
Florida.

You may be considered a resident of Florida when you:
This was just begging for replies like those that follow:
You may be a redneck, if:
Come on now there must be some Jeff Foxworthy fans in the CF.
I left the door open; it was Florid'uh.

Okay, I have a go. Redneck pictures are worth a thousand words.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=you+might+be+a+redneck+if+boating&form=HD RSC4&first=1

Lo-Ray, y'all being from Germany and Britain, thus may not be familiar with American Redneck jokes. No abode, that is definitely an excellent topic for such.

I will now show myself out the door.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:24   #21

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

St Brennan's is a good alternative or close family and friends.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:07   #22

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Recently Wells Fargo told me that my SBI address was not an acceptable residence address. My SBI address has been my residence and mailing address with Wells Fargo for almost 20 years.

I tried to change the address at Wells Fargo to my boat documentation number at Key Largo that is on my driver license but that address does not verify with the USPS as a valid postal address so they refused it also. Wells Fargo does not care what the address is as long as the USPS likes it.

I gave Wells Fargo a marina address that I stay at every few years, closed one account, and moved all but minimal funds to an online bank from a checking account that is just used to cover credit card auto-payments.

++ on SBI for a mailing service.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:11   #23

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I gave Wells Fargo a marina address that I stay at every few years, closed one account, and moved all but minimal funds to an online bank from a checking account that is just used to cover credit card auto-payments.
As I wrote upthread, I would be wary of using a marina address unless you are there regularly. I have had banks do things like randomly send me credit card offers, new checks, a new debit card, etc. I wouldn't want those things arriving at an address I rarely ever use. I've seen mailboxes at marinas that were completely open to the public to just rifle through if they wanted to. What does your marina do with your mail when you are not there?
Old 09-02-2024, 09:05   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Canadian vessel off for 5 years - we used St Brendan’s too, did the job. They are very familiar with a cruiser’s needs, inexpensive, and it was incredibly rare that they actually had to send us a physical piece of mail.
Much done paperless online, New Bank cards picked up at bank, driver’s license renewed when we visited home, 10 year passports.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 09:27   #25

SBI and other mail forwarding companies can provide for your mail correspondence, but don't kid yourself that using such will provide for domicile or residency for driver's license, voting, tax, legal jurisdiction, insurance, banking, estate, social benefits, contract law, etc.

Clay County, Florida has cleaned up their voting registration removing person that do not have legal residency.
https://www.claytodayonline.com/stor...-in-clay,12234
Old 09-02-2024, 16:13   #26

It really helps if you can find a mail service near your home port.
Ours opens our mail, scans it and then forwards it to us.
I’ve been using their service for a little over 10 years.
Having an address solves lots of problems.
Also for a small fee they can deposit checks.
gregfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 06:04   #27

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
What does your marina do with your mail when you are not there?
Any mail sent there would be junk mail as it is not my mailing address.

There are few options if you do not own or rent a house.
Old 10-02-2024, 07:42   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
There are few options if you do not own or rent a house.

Friends? Family? That's what works for us. These days, with most important mail having gone electronic, it's really not much of a task. And it gives you a real address, and actual home -- at least it does in our case.
Old 12-02-2024, 14:19   #29

Boat: currently boatless and looking

I moved permanently to Mexico in 2018. I use my son's address as my US residence. The ONE thing I wished I had done was to "port" my US phone number. This can easily be done thru Magic Jack or Google. This said...I do get security text messages to my Mxn phone number and both Schwab and Chase have mailed replacement cards to Mexico. Dealing with SSA however has been a nightmare.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 13:13   #30

Boat: Jeanneau SO43DS

I lived in France for 6 years and used St. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs. They are used by boaters, people who work internationally or with no fixed abode, and others who need a mailing address that is not a PO Box, in the US. It allowed us to get Fl Drivers licenses (just across the street), and financial institutions accepted that address for ownership of securities that required a US mailing address that is not a PO Box. We also registered to vote up there. You need a US mailing address for boat documentation, and SBI serves that purpose. The CG is very familiar with them.

Highly recommended, for the price (~$15/month, I think).
rxcsailnet is offline   Reply With Quote