Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 16:01   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Oh No! I'm in retrograde,- Help Me I'm Falling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
An early Toyota pickup would be more like it.

If you can find one that isn't a rust bucket, they want a fortune for it. Those things are sought after almost as much as Land Cruisers and old Bronco's
They are sought after, cause you have to kill them, they won't die on their own, they will run forever.
You can pick up a decent little Miata, mid to late 90's for three grand or so, enjoy it for six of eight months and sell it for three grand or so. You make money buying one in winter and selling in spring.
Jeeps same way, just the buy in is a lot more than three grand, but you'll sell it for more in spring, I guarantee.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 16:10   #17

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We were out cruising for 3 years. We kept a car, an older Honda CRV. Instead of letting it sit we loaned it to our nieces with the understanding that they would cover the expenses including insurance while we were away. When we came back it had some more miles on than when we left and a few dings one would expect with new drivers. Nothing that mattered to is. And it's great to have a car now that we need it again.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 16:16   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

We have now bought two 'cheaper than a rental car' giveaways, and are on our third which due to circumstance it appears we'll have for years.

A minivan is ideal; you can haul people, or parts, or furniture,or engines, or whatever, in it; in FL you mostly will get flat-road high-milers with another several hundred miles on them.

The first two we gave away after our extensive refits; this one we've kept because we're NOT cruising more than we are, and have put on about 35K in the 30 months we've had it.

Costs in order were $500, 1000 and 2000, the last only because it was a used car dealer; his junk fees that he had to pay netted him only ~1350. All three had minimal, though a couple of 'expensive' (relative to the cost of the car) repairs.

Go for it; as long as you've made it this far, wait for the right deal. Craigslist works very well in populated areas...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 16:19   #19

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
We were out cruising for 3 years. We kept a car, an older Honda CRV. Instead of letting it sit we loaned it to our nieces with the understanding that they would cover the expenses including insurance while we were away. When we came back it had some more miles on than when we left and a few dings one would expect with new drivers. Nothing that mattered to is. And it's great to have a car now that we need it again.

S/V B'Shert
That had actually been our plan on the second one, and it turned out not to suit the use intended, so they got another, and we gave it away in a "Queen for a Day" giveaway. This one was intended the same way, and would have worked, except we've been using it constantly other than the three 6-week periods in the Bahamas since we landed at Vero Beach Christmas Day 2013...

So, that works well, too, and you are a borrower of the car; we are that, now, not having had insurance in our names since we went aboard 10 years ago; the car's actually my son-in-law's and we pay the insurance...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:10   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We bought a 2003 Toyota Camry today. I followed Nancie for the 12 miles back to the marina and nothing fell from the car, so things are looking good. Now, since 2002 owning nothing that's not on our boat, we've expanded,- up-sizing!
.....but not a trend!
Old 11-08-2016, 16:37   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

2003? Why heck, thats practicaly new. : )
Old 12-08-2016, 02:50   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
2003? Why heck, thats practicaly new. : )
True! It's the first car I've owned that has a button on the key fob for locking and unlocking the doors!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:43   #23

Boat: Freedom 38

Lyft (better company) or Uber. Do the math per trip versus a beater/gas/insurance/maintenance. Get the App on your phone, you see them coming on GPS, fast, quick. Welcome to 21st century sailing!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote