Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2017, 12:54   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: ...On Being a "Girly Girl"....

The pearl will be fine, they benefit from handling and air. It is exactly the sort of thing you bring with you, and plan to take care of it.

Ann
Old 17-11-2017, 12:54   #32

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Hey Scarlet - Don't forget to pack it all in hard-sided rolling suitcases. Do you like to bring lots of hard-cover books, too?
now that IS being snarky!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 12:54   #33

Boat: Coast 30

Well should I dignify that last one with an answer? or strive to explain and defend myself?
Of course I believe my boat when ready will be big enough to accommodate a female presence, and I surely hope to locate a suitable one, I will just have to wait for one to choose me>

How ever during a 30 year marriage , My wife's sister also was part owner of the house. and they both LOVED shopping. Anything between 10 and 60 % off at the clothes, handbag/purse. or shoe store and they would come back loaded. Some of it went back a few days latter to free up the charge cards. and guess who go pressured into that errand. There were clothes racks around her bed because the closet was too full. I even saw some of it donated to the salvation army with the sales tags still attached.

After divorce I was engaged to a education professor that also had an interest in clothes and looking nice. she kept all her shoes in the shoe boxes that she bought them in and they were kept in a closet like a shoe store. The purses, were all put away in drawers and the clothes were hung. all designer fashions that she found in thrift stores,

So I know just how much space this takes up. Surely we all know how much more amenities can be fitted into any particular size boat? A 22 foot like she mentioned to us is virtual camping on the water. By about 50 to 55 feet there can be cabins with doors. Above that size and walk in closet and dressing room could be accommodated.

As for her relationship status I admit I assumed that her current circumstances do not accommodate all this or that she would not be asking us. But I was not trying to make an offer, I only consider offers made to me. More males should get that. Then there would be less harassment accusations.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 13:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
I would think that most of what Scarlet has could be nicely stowed in closets and drawers in a 55 to 72 foot sailing yacht. So I would not be at all surprised to hear later at some point that there is a lonely male sailor out there is prepared to make her a serious respectful offer.

So few women these days seem interested in maintaining such a feminine presence. While I appreciate them, My Coast 30+ could not accommodate.

Of course a serious plan 'B' could be to form the relationship on shore and do coastal cruising. Experience would thus decide the answers. Either regarding what to keep? or how big the new vessel needed to be?.

Now there is a very interesting Yacht interior design challenge?

I so hope this thread does not become the brunt of jokes? assuming it has a serious beginning.
OH my goodness! my husband is going to get a kick out of this!! All his Air Force buddies always tell him he "married up"! And, I can tell you that I have quite a sense of humor and would get a kick out of being the "brunt of jokes". I never take myself too seriously.
Old 17-11-2017, 13:08   #35

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

Scarlet, It looks like you've received several helpful responses (to which I have nothing more to add). If you are interested more discussion on such topics, and you are a Facebook user, you might also check out the Facebook group Women Who Sail.

I don't mean to detract from CF. Clearly, I read it myself, and very occasionally post. Just sharing more options. :-)
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 13:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruiVita View Post
I must say Scarlet sounds like the ideal woman.
My question, Scarlet, is this: have you done any extended cruising, particularly in the setting you desire (Caribbean? Coastal? Other?). And while doing that cruising did you attempt to sort out what essentials you need?

The caveat? I will not sail with anyone whom I have met - in person or through extensive online communication - to insure there's a fundamental compatibility. Give it some thought.

At any rate, I find boat hair and flats very sexy and if she can also tie a bowline, make a meal, trim a sail, and be an otherwise equal sailing partner then that would be like winning the lottery.
You are funny!!!! and thanks for the compliment! I have been known to wear "pumps" while doing "plumbing"!!! I would think some guys would find that ideal. But most would find me completely ridiculous! lol!

I am married, though, to a great guy. I have about 4 years sailing experience, but have only spent a week as a live-aboard, and that was during our sailing certifications, so.. it was mostly work. (but I LOVED every second of it!)

thanks for the invite. definitely something for me to think about.
Old 17-11-2017, 13:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
S
When it comes to cruising I think you’ll eventually find that while less is more, you should never have to go without the things you really need to be you.

Brad
BRAD!!!!! how the heck are you!!? it has been a long time. Where in the world are you cruising right now? would love to get caught up.
Old 17-11-2017, 13:20   #38

Boat: Coast 30

Scarlet, good to hear you tell about your happy marriage. I certainly have not been attempting to make any jokes or jests my self. and I do hope you two enjoy finding a solution together. I seriously maintain that given the correct size hull and some very well planed out joinery cabinet work. Your interest in Fashion could be well accommodated. Even though it will seem to some far away from the normal course of things to most boat owners. I am off now to the marina I have an engine to install.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 13:56   #39
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Hi Scarlet and yes, it has been a long time. Unfortunately at the moment I am back in Canada and recovering from surgery on Tuesday. We left the cat in Fort Pierce, Florida and subject to the prognosis, hope to return in a few weeks, launch the boat and cross to the Bahamas.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 14:07   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I bet all the blokes saying "leave it all behind" would not mind a partner on board who has a few items of sexy underwear with her, so I highly recommend that you leave room in your drawer for these .

SWL
Blokes don't need you to have underwear
Old 17-11-2017, 14:08   #41

Boat: ODAY 28

I think you are going to need a bigger boat.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 14:19   #42

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

scarlet, of course you can maintain femininity on a 40/45 foot sailboat, be it a catamaran or monohull. I certainly would take your pearl necklace with you but perhaps not a huge diamond ring or expensive watch. Some cruisers actually make beautiful beaded necklaces and bracelets. I think you could wear a thin wedding band but not a thick one. It is too easy to hurt yourself with a thick band.

Fingernails should be kept short if you handle sails and do deck work but painting toenails is fun. My hubby said you can just wave your feet back and forth to dry the polish. (He was being funny, of course!)

I wear lots of sunscreen and also a bandanna along with a hat. I have very long hair, so I wear a bathing cap (I know, I know...horrors), to swim. Mostly, I protect my hair and skin from the sun.

There are a lot of pretty tops and shorts you can wear. I have also seen sandals with colored stones on them that are very pretty but should not be worn on deck. I am barefoot most of the time and carry my “pretty” shoes in a plastic bag while in the dingy. I do carry Sperry Docksiders for docking and a couple pairs of flops.

LLBean has a great selection of cotton crop pants along with shorts and longer pants. I usually carry one pair in navy and one pair in khaki, along with various colored t-shirts.

I keep makeup to a minimum...a little mineral makeup and mascara.

I hope this gives you some ideas. However, the greatest of these is a lovely smile and a happy spirit. Enjoy...
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 15:01   #43
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Just don't clean the pearls in vinegar
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 16:27   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

No worries! You can and will be fashionable while aboard! What a great topic! I personally love sun dresses! Comfortable, stylish, easy to wash and care for. My favorite? Check this out....Home | Jams World, Made in Honolulu Hawaii Since 1964 never had to iron anything I purchased from them. And no matter where you go, any coastal town is going to have a variety of clothing shops peddling colorful sun dresses and beach ware.

Foot ware? Check this out.....be barefoot and fashionable! Takes up little to no space! https://www.google.com/search?q=bare...w=1111&bih=461

As others have stated sunblock, lipstick, water proof eyeliner and mascara. Coconut oil has many uses for hair protection as well as moisturizing for skin.

You have many choices and no need to fret. You will figure it out as you go!

I am not affiliated with Jams, I just love their product.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 17:57   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Just don't clean the pearls in vinegar
I find it suspect that you know how not to clean pearls.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote