Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2017, 11:40   #61

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: ...On Being a "Girly Girl"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post

Foot ware? Check this out.....be barefoot and fashionable! Takes up little to no space! https://www.google.com/search?q=bare...w=1111&bih=461

Those "shoes" are insanely cute!!!!!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:50   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Single "handed" in more ways than one? 😆

There are distinct advantages to having an adventuresome and sometimes girly girl to share life with. Ive had the good fortune to have cruised with two (sequentially). Yes they pack along a lot of stuff, but in a cat they can have their own hull.

So Scarlet, my suggestion as a cruiser who has cruised with sometimes girly girls, is to designate a hull or at least a cabin as yours...all the girly stuff can go in there.

Also, there are times when cruising couples need some separation...you can then retreat to your own hulls/cabins.

We had an artsy friend who actually made humorous signs that were installed over the respective companion ways for each hull designating the his and her hulls. 😎
Love that idea! We will have 2 large guest cabins... I suppose I could claim one of those for myself.
Old 19-11-2017, 11:56   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I agree!!! this is NOT what I'm talking about.
Old 19-11-2017, 12:17   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Lets talk "girl talk"!!!

I love to sail.. I love to race... I love to work on boats, and I am looking forward to (a very early) retirement as a full time live aboard/cruiser. That being said... I am also a "girly girl"!! I've had drawers filled with makeup, hair bobs... styling tools, closets FILLED to the rafters with gorgeous "girl clothes".. and over 100 pairs of high heeled shoes. (no.. I'm not kidding!!! lol) In other words.. I like to look feminine, pretty.. sometimes glamorous.. but always a GIRL!

I fully understand that I will not be able to bring it all with me. But I don't want to give up being a "girly girl". It's an integral part of who I am.

So, my question is: for those of you women who also love to be pretty and feminine... how do you do that on a boat in the tropics? What products and tools are "must haves"? And what should I toss? Any tips for keeping your skin and hair healthy and radiant? do you find certain styles of clothes and shoes work well in the tropics, but are still feminine and pretty? (I'm not the TEVA/Birkenstock kind of girl.. AT ALL!!) How do you get your nail polish to dry?!?! (lol.. perfectly painted toes are a MUST!!!) What about jewelry and accessories? Do certain types of jewelry not do well in the salt water environment? (i.e. silver.. pearls, etc)

... and anything else that fits in the category of "all things beautiful and girly"!
Not being a girl, just two key considerations: safety(!) and space. Obviously those high heels won't get much use near the boat and a ring might cost you a finger in certain situations. You should also consider the space available for you.

On-board wear follow strict practicality guidelines from wearing nothing to arctic survival/drysuit - depending where you are cruising
Old 19-11-2017, 17:21   #65

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Lets talk "girl talk"!!!

I love to sail.. I love to race... I love to work on boats, and I am looking forward to (a very early) retirement as a full time live aboard/cruiser. That being said... I am also a "girly girl"!! I've had drawers filled with makeup, hair bobs... styling tools, closets FILLED to the rafters with gorgeous "girl clothes".. and over 100 pairs of high heeled shoes. (no.. I'm not kidding!!! lol) In other words.. I like to look feminine, pretty.. sometimes glamorous.. but always a GIRL!

I fully understand that I will not be able to bring it all with me. But I don't want to give up being a "girly girl". It's an integral part of who I am.

So, my question is: for those of you women who also love to be pretty and feminine... how do you do that on a boat in the tropics? What products and tools are "must haves"? And what should I toss? Any tips for keeping your skin and hair healthy and radiant? do you find certain styles of clothes and shoes work well in the tropics, but are still feminine and pretty? (I'm not the TEVA/Birkenstock kind of girl.. AT ALL!!) How do you get your nail polish to dry?!?! (lol.. perfectly painted toes are a MUST!!!) What about jewelry and accessories? Do certain types of jewelry not do well in the salt water environment? (i.e. silver.. pearls, etc)

... and anything else that fits in the category of "all things beautiful and girly"!
For what it's worth, why not! You will need a decent sized boat - at least a 15m/50' mono or multi. Allocate one of the aft cabins to your wardrobe etc, and get some additional shelving installed. But do rationalise as much as you can. It's your life, and you should live it as best you can, while doing what you love. Just be careful of going too big on the boat. A modern 15m/50' mono at least, can be single handed quite easily, but get much bigger than that, and you will be looking for permanent company (a good thing if you find the right person ).

Go out there and make it happen - the years slip away very quickly.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 17:43   #66

Agree with SWL - no reason to abandon ones desire to be attractive. All you need will fit in a shoebox, plus a couple of evening looks. If looking good
makes you feel good, that is all that matters.
Mommasails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 18:19   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Robertson & Caine 4600 Cat

Think you need to stay ashore and do the country club
SAMPATICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 14:27   #68

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

You've really got to talk to a lot of cruising folks, to see what is right for you. Some folks cruise full time; some folks cruise for 6 months then go home for 6 months. Some folks retire from cruising and liveaboard, at the dock.

Here's some places to contact:
* Goggle "women's only sailing" for a wealth of information.
*SSCA - Seven Seas Cruising Association - mostly couples
* Local sailing clubs
* ROCC - Royal Ocean Cruising Club if you are in the UK - mostly couples
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 16:57   #69
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"How do you get your nail polish to dry?!?!"
Find a better brand, the good stuff will dry even when it is humid. Or, get with the times and change to a MUCH more durable polish that is cured with a small UV lamp. No question of "drying" because you "cure" it instead. Any nail salon should be able to clue you in on that. Since there are no solvents involved, it is also way healthier for the help.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 17:51   #70

Boat: a sailing boat

Girly or Grizzly, I would take all the toys with me. If the drawers are truly full (as they should) and big, then opt for the most beloved items and give away the rest.

I took all my toys and so did my girl. Do not let sailing or 'cruising lifestyle limitations' get into your way. Some humans wear lipstick and YSL fragrance, others wear flipflops and smell sweat. Your call.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 08:49   #71

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch

Ha! Best string on the forum! 8-) Particularly the guys weighing in to mansplain the situation to ya! Scarlet babe, I only have one question... ya got any sisters?!? I'm sure I can find enuff room in Tempest between my tux and guitar for their lingerie & heels!
Bodega Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:52   #72

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

Hey Scarlet!

although lots of folks are suggesting you address these questions to Women who Sail (I need to join, myself), I'm glad you brought them here. my feeling is that this site needs and appreciates all of us gals who love sailing and boats. a big thanks to the guys for their wisdom, supportive attitudes and 'other' input.

ok, i'm more of a tool-girl type who gets a kick out of climbing the mast, and figuring out how to fix the autopilot; but i enjoy looking good, very good, even in my 50's. i enjoy staying fit and find that living on a boat, working on a boat and sailing makes it quite easy, actually. there is so much to do and fix. as someone who was stuck translating on the computer for what seemed like forever, i LOVE how sailing-liveaboarding is physical lifestyle!

and even if i do not do all the girly-girl stuff (no lipstick nor make-up, never nail polish, never hair-color, etc.), i do recall that Ginger and MaryAnn got along just fine. And like you, get me in a dress and heels and (luckily still), i turn heads! I love to dance too. being and feeling attractive is important to this gal too!

that said, even though i pack amazingly light (a backpack can hold just about everything!), i never seem to need all the stuff i bring. depending on the weather of course... but in warmer climates: hat, gloves, sunscreen, three pair of cotton undies, one bra, three bathing suit bottoms and a couple of bathing suit tops, a couple of tank tops, a couple of long sleeves, one pair of shorts, a loose fitting night-time hang-out type of ensemble, something warm for evening cool temps, jeans/long pants; one skirt, flip flops, boat shoes, city sandals or shoes, one dress and shoes that go with it (this is the hard part because i like to walk in heels and dance in heels) and two sets of different kinds work clothes (one that covers the skin and another that doesn't. i really do work and enjoy it!).

i do not need a lot because every other evening (depending on weather), i rinse what i wore and put out to dry. my bathing suits tend to get used quickly yes, but this means i do not have time to really get tired of wearing the same. i mix tops and bottoms too. in the end, it is about being comfortable, wearing suits that i can lie down on the forepeak with so to manage the anchor chain out of building a pyramid, if needed... or covering the dingy with its tarp before the storm hits. i find that being agile is essential. and it is true, that, once the landlubbers do not see into your life, wearing clothing doesn't make much sense except for warmth and sun protection...

jewelry: i have an all-time thick-silver favorite bracelet that i no longer wear... it would attract too much attention anyway. i've got it down to just a short necklace. do make sure your pearl necklace doesn't come over your chin when you lean over. otherwise, one day, it will be a gift for Neptune. never wear rings, too dangerous. and keep all jewelry away from the batteries if you are helping out there...

here's a tip: i've got a big towel made of that thin light material that i tie around my neck, criss-crossed across my chest, like a dress. i wear to the marina showers and use there and wear back. i wear my bathing suit under it to the shower, wash the bathing suit in the shower and walk back with nothing under. it's kinda fun...

the best clips for hanging clothes to dry on the rail are those metal ones that artists use to hold the paper to the board. they do not break like the plastic ones, and the ocean doesn't need anymore of these types of 'gifts' anyway. fold the clothes over equally and clip the lower ends to themselves at the base (if the wind picks up they will not fly away and the clip will not go overboard).

skin and hair care: olive oil is fantastic for skin, proven to be the best thing for keeping a small tan going. coconut oil is fantastic as a face cleaner and hair conditioner: it rinses easily with water but it has to be a rather warm to hot water. argon oil and apricot oil are both good skin moisturizers.

when the wind blows, i find that wearing my hair in a braid works best for me.

one last tip: i cut my own hair (overboard, letting the wind direction clean any potential mess) and very easily. i use two elasttic bands in a pony tail that i pull straight down my back and then over my shoulder, careful not to let the hair move within the elastics. then with super sharp, big scissors, WHACK and it's done! it's always pretty well done somehow too

Hey Scarlet, enjoy yourself and be yourself!

good things to you, girl
Old 11-12-2017, 18:52   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Scarlet, I'm with you: perfectly painted toe nails are a must (fingernails never for me though, hands are for working so I always keep fingernails smoothly filed short). Nail polish just takes a little longer to dry in humid conditions, but it is not an issue.

When it is hot, few clothes are needed . Several of your favourite bikinis, shorts and feminine tops (cool cotton is the most comfortable) pack into a tiny bundle. I tend to be barefooted on board and flats are worn ashore. Something that you can wade in is most practical if you need to hop out of the dinghy early. There are "girly" shoes that do fit this bill.

Makeup is personal, but I think lightly tanned skin glowing with good health needs no enhancement other than a moisturiser. Sunblock is vital during the day. No reason why lipstick and a touch of eye makeup need to be abandoned. A tiny dab of French perfume always makes me feel good too .

In the tropics you are likely to be swimming several times a day and so styled hair is very impractical. Just get a good cut that can be simply towel dried, or grow it long enough to sweep up (my choice the last few years). Conditioner finger combed through your hair both before and after swimming helps stop it drying out. Plenty of good food and skipping the hair gels and sprays will soon have it soft and glossy, a good asset I think, as it is far nicer to touch.

I bet all the blokes saying "leave it all behind" would not mind a partner on board who has a few items of sexy underwear with her, so I highly recommend that you leave room in your drawer for these .

SWL

Sweetly I've sailed with a girly girl. I must advise you the captain you need must own a 50 plus foot yacht. I never complained about a thing she brought on board just gave her a double cabin and said fill it up. When there was no room to sleep in that cabin I gave her half of my double birth. I loved having a girly girl to sail with.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote