Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2024, 04:55   #16

Re: Only showering at marinas?

When I pulled out the the corroded on demand propane powered water heater on my boat I replaced with this Coleman portable hot water heater:
https://amzn.to/458jWHh
Works great and no longer worry about aging propane lines in the boat. I can move it around the boat and also use it for a cockpit shower after swims.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheery sailor View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum and the sailing world. We recently purchased a 1984 Freedom 39 and our shower is broken. We would like to stop at Marinas to shower only. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, what kind of pricing would we be charged? Do we just call up Marinas to ask if they would accept this? We are currently anchored in Connecticut, but getting closer towards New York. Moving slowly down the coast to eventually be in Mexico. Currently been staying on mooring fields on days when we need supplies and showers. (Too chilly right now to "shower" in the ocean).
Highly unusual request so while there may be some exceptions, answer whether you could just use the shower is 'no, not possible.' Truck stops would be the only places I can think of that encourage transient usage of showers.

As an aside, while I admire your out-of-box workaround, its an extreme solution to avoid repair. It only gets more daunting as you venture further....could be frustrating.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:34   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Hi, Cheery Sailor, and to the forum!

To answer your question directly: Annapolis, MD has a shower available for cruisers anchored out or in the mooring field. It costs just a few dollars. Given that, when I planned to anchor near the Ches Bay Maritime Museum, I called the marina next door and asked if they offered a similar arrangement. Could I pay a small fee for access to their showers while not actually staying there. They were very clear that was not an option. They wanted to make sure the facilities were available for slip-paying customers.

Please just disregard all the snarky responses along the lines of "just fix your shower." Some apparently don't realize that is not always an easy option. My shower is inop by virtue of the sump box not working, and the fix is not going to be easy. It's on my long To Do list, but not in the top 10 for priorities yet. So, I understand your question and don't disparage you for asking it.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:43   #19

Boat: Downeaster 38

I only use the boat shower and head if I don’t have access to a real toilet on land.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:53   #20

a garden weed sprayer will do until you get it fixed. a kettle of hot water and 2 of cold and a bit of arm exercise. Just unscrew the wand.

You might decide that the concept is fine and figure a way of mounting a backpack version in the bathroom which has a better lever method to pump it
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:05   #21

Boat: 2010 Beneteau 31

Couple of thoughts

1. Baby wipes work for about a week. After that the effectiveness really falls off.
  2. Solar showers work great but need sun and time to warm up.
  3. If you issue is pump related see if there are rebuild kits available. Okay weekend I had an issue with a weak drain pump that was fixed by a 30 dollar rebuild kit that included new joker valves. Took about an hour and some choice words but now I know how to replace the entire pump if it gives me problems in the future.
  4. If using public or marina showers, be sure to bring flip flops or other shower shoes.
Welcome to the forum and good luck.
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:19   #22

Boat: Hunter 340

Most marinas have showers but they are usually intended for overnight guests and longterm slipholders. Will they let you anchor out and arrive by dinghy and use the showers? Maybe. It is going to depend on the marina. It isn't a common usage though.

Now if you are asking can you stay in the marina overnight and use the showers the answer is of course but I guess that is not what you are asking.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:51   #23

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post

My shower is inop by virtue of the sump box not working, and the fix is not going to be easy. It's on my long To Do list, but not in the top 10 for priorities yet. So, I understand your question and don't disparage you for asking it.
Seems like a good example at face value, however, if you would explain why a pump and a box in which it is contained are difficult to fix, I’m sure that would enlighten us.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
......Identify the problem and fix it, .........Bucket, washer, soap either in your shower space or in the cockpit (if it's the drain that's problematic.)........
.....It's just a minor problem (one of many many many you will have)

.....will you be charged to just use the shower.? I suppose it's simple really, someone is providing you a service, expect to pay for it.
Above was useful. The rest was just beating someone up for no reason.

Why did you find the need to take the time to post the negativity?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:11   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Quote:
My shower is inop by virtue of the sump box not working, and the fix is not going to be easy. It's on my long To Do list, but not in the top 10 for priorities yet. So, I understand your question and don't disparage you for asking it.
Seems like a good example at face value, however, if you would explain why a pump and a box in which it is contained are difficult to fix, I’m sure that would enlighten us.
Sure! A previous owner redirected the shower drain from the bilge to a sump box, which is great, but the installation is not awesome. The outlet hose from the box is either plugged or crimped such that the pump does not empty the box. When not connected to the discharge hose, the pump moves water nicely. The hose takes a long, winding path to the seacock, and seems in rough shape. A snake did not get very far. I'd like to replace the hose and think I can route it more directly to the seacock. This task is currently #40 on my prioritized To Do list.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:52   #26

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Sure! A previous owner redirected the shower drain from the bilge to a sump box, which is great, but the installation is not awesome. The outlet hose from the box is either plugged or crimped such that the pump does not empty the box. When not connected to the discharge hose, the pump moves water nicely. The hose takes a long, winding path to the seacock, and seems in rough shape. A snake did not get very far. I'd like to replace the hose and think I can route it more directly to the seacock. This task is currently #40 on my prioritized To Do list.
Thanks for explaining. You might consider simply routing the pump discharge directly overboard which is a common way of simplifying the plumbing obviating any need for the box and any associated hose routing.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Thanks for explaining. You might consider simply routing the pump discharge directly overboard which is a common way of simplifying the plumbing obviating any need for the box and any associated hose routing.
Go with a Whale Gulper pump direct overboard (vented loop,of course). No sump, no filter. No mess, no smell. Lasts forever.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:26   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

bet the OP wishes they had not exposed their throat to the wolves
Old 05-06-2024, 09:40   #29
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I've had both yes you can use the shower facilities in transit, and no you need to pay for dockage - sometimes only an hour dockage charge or something like that.

While I've sailed in the area you are asking about, I haven't used showers in that region so I don't have specific suggestions for spots. But it never hurts to ask -nicely...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:25   #30

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

My vote is with the majority - just fix it. If you don't know how to do it, hire someone.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, shower