Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 10:25   #31

Re: Pearls of Wisdom for a Future Liveaboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanneKegley View Post
I can give you a little more info. Right now, my husband works and I'm in school. He's a welder/shipfitter, primarily builds/repairs large steel vessels (oil takers, ferries, etc), although right now he's working an aluminium gig up in Bristol Bay building a cannery. Honestly he knows a lot more about boats, cruising, diesel mechanics, etc, than I do. He's the pragmatic, critical thinker-- I'm the hippie with rosey glasses

I'm a vet tech specializing in wildlife-- so our income is not likely to grow much even when I start working. Work will always keep us close to the water, which is totally how we prefer it. I guess thats really what prompted our plans.

Our son is three years old. Our current living situation is a rented house in the burbs.
Thanks for the clarification. That's pretty much what I had imagined. Bon Voyage!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebein View Post
Just a few words and a question. Have you done any sailing on any size boat and how did it go?

I have owned boats in the 40-50' range and there are some amazing deals on less that aesthetic boats. There are some amazing deals on outstanding older and proven boats. Most of my cruising was done on 1970's boats which were 20 years old then and still are great, though not modern vessels. Families live aboard different sized boats with equal success. The most fun I had in beginning sailing was on a sabot. The most fun I had while learning was on a sabot while living on a 45' sloop. The idea of a smaller learning boat sounds very good. The concept of selling after a few years is also doable without losing much but the usual overhead. The final decision is yours. All the best, you have had differing opinions on this thread. Sift through them and chose which apply to you. Read a lot of books decide which apply to you and gain knowledge and experience.
Good luck
Thanks! We have been out day-sailing a handful of times as guests, never on our own. And it was really fun, a couple of stressful moments. But overall, awesome.
EvanneKegley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:56   #33

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Evanne, I am a fan of anyone who is hippy and wears rose colored glasses. I love people who are self disclosure types and aren't afraid to say it the way it is

Maybe you will take a few minutes to read Jim Brown's early attempts at sailing. His story is remarkable. His trimaran designs still ply the waters all over the world. Truly a hippie type and a big dreamer. Go to outrigger.org and read his early writings and videos. I am not so brave as he. But he built his own little trimaran...and I mean little....put him and his wife on it...exited the harbor somewhere on the pacific coast...hung a left...sailed to Mexico...got caught in a near hurricane...and Mexicans in Cabo San Lucas helped him pick up the boat and carry it off the beach...true story with pictures.

My point being, Evanne, is this...if you can dream it...it is possible to do it. All of the other posters here all have valid points about expense, experience, expectations...etc. Some people do it on 4 million dollar Gun boats and others sail out across the wilds of the pacific on 10k dollar thin skinned Catalinas.

I, for one, would be to buy something cheap now and sail the heck out of it in all kinds of weather locally. Maybe even something you can throw on a trailer and do the San Juans near you...by the way..one of the best cruising grounds on this planet. In Alameda, near my home in San Francisco Bay area, the local yacht club rents space for cheap to store the trailer on. You leave the boat completely rigged (mast is up) and you pull the trailer over to the crane, throw some straps under the keel, up and over she goes into the briny. All done by yourself...hose off facilities available and no moorage fees...no slimy bottoms...it is a great solution. I am sure the Seattle crowd has the same somewhere.

You will build trust in your competence as sailors, learn what your family needs or doesn't need, build skill sets in anchoring, sailing techniques, weather reading, and having fun as a family. Nothing as good as a boat skimming across the water under wind power and just the sound of a boat working her way through the water. To me nothing is more magical other than love.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:30   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Evanne, I am a fan of anyone who is hippy and wears rose colored glasses. I love people who are self disclosure types and aren't afraid to say it the way it is

Maybe you will take a few minutes to read Jim Brown's early attempts at sailing. His story is remarkable. His trimaran designs still ply the waters all over the world. Truly a hippie type and a big dreamer. Go to outrigger.org and read his early writings and videos. I am not so brave as he. But he built his own little trimaran...and I mean little....put him and his wife on it...exited the harbor somewhere on the pacific coast...hung a left...sailed to Mexico...got caught in a near hurricane...and Mexicans in Cabo San Lucas helped him pick up the boat and carry it off the beach...true story with pictures.

My point being, Evanne, is this...if you can dream it...it is possible to do it. All of the other posters here all have valid points about expense, experience, expectations...etc. Some people do it on 4 million dollar Gun boats and others sail out across the wilds of the pacific on 10k dollar thin skinned Catalinas.

I, for one, would be to buy something cheap now and sail the heck out of it in all kinds of weather locally. Maybe even something you can throw on a trailer and do the San Juans near you...by the way..one of the best cruising grounds on this planet. In Alameda, near my home in San Francisco Bay area, the local yacht club rents space for cheap to store the trailer on. You leave the boat completely rigged (mast is up) and you pull the trailer over to the crane, throw some straps under the keel, up and over she goes into the briny. All done by yourself...hose off facilities available and no moorage fees...no slimy bottoms...it is a great solution. I am sure the Seattle crowd has the same somewhere.

You will build trust in your competence as sailors, learn what your family needs or doesn't need, build skill sets in anchoring, sailing techniques, weather reading, and having fun as a family. Nothing as good as a boat skimming across the water under wind power and just the sound of a boat working her way through the water. To me nothing is more magical other than love.
Nice........ and a good approach.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:40   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post

Wow, that is so reassuring. Thank you, really! I would love to get out in the San Juans, so lush and dreamy out there! Thanks for the heads up on Jim Brown, too.
EvanneKegley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:01   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not to be too much of a spoil sport, but if you buy a boat that has to be kept in a Marina, make sure you factor in those costs to your "little" boat, it just might be that a little boat may not be all that much cheaper.
Now if it's a trailer sailor and you can take it home, then there is no marina cost
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:53   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Not to be too much of a spoil sport, but if you buy a boat that has to be kept in a Marina, make sure you factor in those costs to your "little" boat, it just might be that a little boat may not be all that much cheaper.
Now if it's a trailer sailor and you can take it home, then there is no marina cost
Not really a wet blanket.... More like a damp washcloth with a tinge of wisdom...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard