Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2022, 12:09   #31

Re: Pet hates that people do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
People who anchor close enough to me that I can see them.
Said the person fishing from or lying on the beach, or the person snorkeling, and / or the homeowner whose oceanfront property the boat is anchor off.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:53   #32

Boat: Trlåren 31

People who let their halyards clang on their mast(s).
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 14:57   #33

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Motoring at 2 knots in my old Cal29 past some docks in powerboat country, someone screams "NO WAKE". They only know powerboats. Don't they know that a sailboat at 2 knots does not leave a wake big enough to disturb a frog on a lilypad?
Old 06-05-2022, 15:00   #34

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Motoring at 2 knots in my old Cal29 past some docks in powerboat country, someone screams "NO WAKE". They only know powerboats. Don't they know that a sailboat at 2 knots does not leave a wake big enough to disturb a frog on a lilypad?

You know, I have had the same kind of experience. I was motoring through a canal that was a no wake zone. It wasn’t a speed limited zone. I could do 5 knots through there with no wake whatsoever. So I did. Lol

My boat doesn’t make a wake at all pretty much.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 15:13   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sez the man making a political declaration..
Gordo hides his sarcasm so well we overlook it when it comes out.
Old 06-05-2022, 15:30   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
OK couple of things amuse/annoy me

1, Standing up in your dinghy cos you think it looks cool.
As

2. Using your mast head tri colour as an anchor light

So what ya all got in mind ?
Barking dogs
Banging halyards
Torn apart anything lying on the deck
A dinghy tried to boat that has a weeks worth of trash bags
Dinghy tried the crowded dinghy dock with 12” painter
The boat with 200’ of rope out, or 2 anchors, right in the middle of the 10’ deep anchorage
Old 06-05-2022, 15:36   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Calm down guys the thread is about cute animals isn’t it. No.
I hear ya but. There is revenge and forgiveness. Then there is just plain stupid you can’t fix.
On day heading for the swing bridge on a 400 SeaRay Sedan and a 36 Aft Cabin Carver with zero wake passing two canoes with sweet young Canadians near five mile bay. I bigger badder Carver shows up full bore Swamped the canoes flipping both and knocking boats around on the Dock. I swung about to render assistance to the Canoe. Jack got on the Radio and called the swing bridge outside Parry Sound. The bridge gave the boater a lecture and called OPP out to read him the riot act. An hour later we show up at the swing bridge. Big Caver still tied up at the bridge as we pass.

Further up in the South Channel I See a beautiful Merridian 40. A distinct mint green and white. It has a new owner and he’s running full plow bow high probable 2000 rpm on his 454. In front of me are new boaters on a Doral Citation ( Flipped Bayljnder 2450) the Merridian submerges the Doral oblivious to the damage. The plough hits me I hear that tell tale flaw in the kitchen creek wave at him. He has a huge gold chain and a white comb over streaming behind his head.
I meet him weeks later in port staton I watched him dock twins with the wheel like a single. Sat down with him. Told him why some boaters wave back with one finger. I told him about the damage he did to the Doral who we were on the hook with that night. Turns out he’s a sweet old guy decided to get an expensive boat. He boats like a gentleman now. Very forgivable.
Good on ya for taking the time. It's tempting to assign malice to stuff, when a lot of the time it's just lack of knowledge (especially since most of the time power boats are wayyyy past other vessels by the time their wake hits, and none of them are looking backwards at the carnage).
Old 06-05-2022, 15:50   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don't hate any pets... except maybe those damn yackity-yack parrots I had to look after a while back.

Wait... what was the question??
Old 06-05-2022, 16:38   #39

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I've had a similar experience as well. In a crowded area with other traffic and docks, plus it's a no wake zone. I was either at idle or just above (can't remember for sure), so doing something in the 4-5 kt range (official speed limit of 5 Kts for the area). At that speed my wake is a slight ripple (not enough to bother kayaks, etc.). Slowing down doesn't reduce it much until I'm well below idle speed with correspondingly bad steerage. So of course a guy in a small skiff doing probably be 2 kts starts yelling at me to slow down because I was going way too fast. I don't think he understood that even 1 engine in gear would have me going faster than he was and I had too much wind to steer with both engines in neutral...
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 18:41   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Forgot #3 Picking up a mooring you don't know anything about .
Old 07-05-2022, 09:21   #41

My cats really don't appreciate us taking them tubing with the kids.

I wouldn't say they hate it because the kittens love the children and the children love the kittens, it is just hitting the water at high speed that the cats find objectionable. Albeit the cats are quite astute but reluctant swimmers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat tubing.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	257351  
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:11   #42

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

Excerpt from my soon to be published book, The Care and Feeding of My Pet Peeves, due out in 2055:

Chapter 3255: Does your meeting really start at midnight?

From the National Institute of Standards and Technology (the nation’s legal/official standards):
“Did you know that 12:00 A.M. or 12:00 P.M. are wrong and meaningless? A.M. and P.M. are
abbreviations for “ante meridiem” and “post meridiem”. They mean “before noon” and “after noon”
respectively. Noon is neither before or after noon; it is simply noon. Neither A.M. or P.M. are
therefore correct. Midnight is both 12 hours before noon and 12 hours after noon. Therefore,
either 12 A.M. or 12 P.M. could work as a designation for midnight, but both are ambiguous.”

Now taking pre-publishing orders...

Old 07-05-2022, 10:14   #43

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

What about 24/7/365?
If you mean a year wouldn’t that be
24/7/52
Plus the leap year but still

Just saying
Old 08-05-2022, 16:13   #44

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Halyard slapping. Our Marina has in the bylaws to secure the halyards so they do not slap against the mast. Sometimes I remind them to enforce it.
I have to go around and get the slip no. and they will send out notices. But it never fails about a month later it will be back. I guess it doesnt bother a lot of people. I notice some of the mast really get marked up and painted ones get worn .
Old 08-05-2022, 16:46   #45

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
Halyard slapping. Our Marina has in the bylaws to secure the halyards so they do not slap against the mast. Sometimes I remind them to enforce it.
I have to go around and get the slip no. and they will send out notices. But it never fails about a month later it will be back. I guess it doesnt bother a lot of people. I notice some of the mast really get marked up and painted ones get worn .
It only matters to the people who spend time on their boats, I am not in a slip much mostly just wet storage for winter 2 out of 3 years I am on a mooring in season but l have gone onto boats and moved the lines that were slapping. In the same way that I would climb onto a boat to correct a issue like a partially unfurled Genoa after a storm.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote