Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06   #1

Pilot Wanting to LiveAboard in ST. Croix

Hey everybody, Just wanted to pick your brain a little about the STX area. I am a commercial Pilot and looking at getting transfered down to STX to fly. I was curious about living aboard in the STX area. I lived on a sailboat many years ago on the St. Johns River in Jacksonville, FL. This was MANY years ago.

I was wandering if it is possible to liveaboard year round? Either by Mooring, or in a slip? Would rather setup Mooring to save money. By the looks on Google Earth it seems that the area around Christianstead is the only place I see boats anchored out. My work is going to be based out of the STX Airport, so I would probably purchase a car to drive back and forth on a daily basis.

No kids, no wife...Just me... I have been researching this for about 6 months now, and I am boat shopping to see what would be the best fit for my situation. At times I would like to pull anchor and continue to explore the islands...But mainly after already situated in my job and a place to stay..

One of my main concerns is the Hurricane Season.. Since I am a pilot, it would be hard to pick up anchor and head south for that season.. I need to stay and work... is it possible to make it through the season there? Is there places on the Leeward side that are protected at all? I guess this would be closer to the airport and the oil refinery... Not sure if anybody does any kind of mooring on this side of the island...

Thanks in advanced... Looking forward to a new chapter in and around the USVI...

Garrett
AviatorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Re: Pilot Wanting to LiveAboard in ST. Croix

If you are going to be leaving the boat I would look for a marina, preferably one that has a yard so you can haul your boat out in case of hurricane. I'm going to guess that your companies policy in case of hurricane is to fly their planes to a safe place, so you won't be there to babysit the boat through a hurricane or move it to a hurricane hole, another good reason just to haul it out in that case.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
If you are going to be leaving the boat I would look for a marina, preferably one that has a yard so you can haul your boat out in case of hurricane. I'm going to guess that your companies policy in case of hurricane is to fly their planes to a safe place, so you won't be there to babysit the boat through a hurricane or move it to a hurricane hole, another good reason just to haul it out in that case.
Tom
Thanks Tom.... Just curious, is that a pretty safe option? The haul out? I know we can not predict the severity of storms, but if all else fails, then I guess this is the best option. Once setup on dry dock, seems that a little puff of wind would just blow them over no?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Garrett.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Garrett.

Thank you Sir... !
Old 05-05-2013, 16:40   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorG View Post
Thanks Tom.... Just curious, is that a pretty safe option? The haul out? I know we can not predict the severity of storms, but if all else fails, then I guess this is the best option. Once setup on dry dock, seems that a little puff of wind would just blow them over no?
Yes, care must be taken to properly tie it down of course, and I think most insurance policies will pay for it for named storms. It should take a lot more than a puff of wind if properly done, stands chain together on concrete pads (not bare ground), canvas/sail removed, etc.
Looks like ST. CROIX MARINE is your best bet.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 19:40   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Been there, done that: I was a pilot in St. Croix living aboard.
You can anchor or use a mooring in Gallows Bay, or dock at a marina: Green Cay Marina had the least boat damage during the big hurricanes, I would recommend it: Marina

I lived at Salt River Marina, closer to the airport and good diving just a few minutes away.
Old 05-05-2013, 19:45   #8

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I agree with all that CSYman had to say.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Been there, done that: I was a pilot in St. Croix living aboard.
You can anchor or use a mooring in Gallows Bay, or dock at a marina: Green Cay Marina had the least boat damage during the big hurricanes, I would recommend it: Marina

I lived at Salt River Marina, closer to the airport and good diving just a few minutes away.

Great... Would love to pick your brain a little more if you dont mind on your experience there....

Tags
liveaboard