Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2019, 17:30   #556

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Sydney, Melbourne and to a lesser extent the other capitals yes, but there is more to Australia than Sydney and Melbourne.
Plenty of places available in Australia for not much more than $100k, many in regional towns with amenities.
He could easily have done the same in Australia

How long ago?
Wasnt that long ago we could have bought single bed units near the beach in Northern and central QLD for near that money.

Add: Just looked at Cairns again
There are still apartments for sale for $50k, 6=$300k

Again, not that hard.
Farming land west of Brisbane, a bit dry at the moment, 20 acres for half that amount.
North of Brisbane, lush green land going for 5.5eu/acre so 33000 euro for 6 acres
Catch is its a 50 acre block and in all fairness, I did only spend 2 minutes searching. (-;
I study the Australian real estate market weekly , I have for years , I own two income returning properties and a third up until last Feb, I'd like to buy another, I can assure you the quality and location regarding his purchases couldn't be matched at the time(s) in Australia. Of course you can buy in the boon docks for cheaper but comparitivly speaking they are still expensive if you compare to equivalent locations overseas.

He purchased in good places ,ft Lauderdale, Flanders beach Florida, coastal Spain (as hard as I try I cant remember the name right now although I've been there) and country spain. I remember clearly the prices and compared at the times (last purchase this year, first 10 years ago), and there was just no comparison to prices when comparing similar properties back home. Keep in mind that Australia never had the property downturn that Spain and the US had, we had a slight pause, my properties have doubled in the last 10 years and they arent in any capital cities , good for me but overvalued imho.

I'd like to be more patriotic regarding our real estate but Ive travelled, compared, run the numbers regarding returns and I dont agree with your enthusiasm regarding Australian property specially when your talking about buying in the middle if know where. Btw I lived in Cairns ,Trinity beach and Palm cove for while, looked at real estate there not long ago.

Regarding what you get for 100 in Australia?, not much although our dollar sinking does help abit when comparing internationally.

Your entitled to your opinion but I believe the places you speak of need to be compared to equivalent places overseas and your argument then falls down.

The crazy think is you can get some run down places in certain places in Europe in nice villages for almost free, yes theres some conditions but they exist.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 17:33   #557

Quote:
Sydney, Melbourne and to a lesser extent the other capitals yes, but there is more to Australia than Sydney and Melbourne.
Plenty of places available in Australia for not much more than $100k, many in regional towns with amenities.
He could easily have done the same in Australia

How long ago?
Wasnt that long ago we could have bought single bed units near the beach in Northern and central QLD for near that money.

Add: Just looked at Cairns again
There are still apartments for sale for $50k, 6=$300k

Again, not that hard.
Farming land west of Brisbane, a bit dry at the moment, 20 acres for half that amount.
North of Brisbane, lush green land going for 5.5eu/acre so 33000 euro for 6 acres
Catch is its a 50 acre block and in all fairness, I did only spend 2 minutes searching. (-;
Btw, your idea of lush and mine are a world apart.. lol. I also lived in Brisbane and know the area west of brisbane.
Old 23-10-2019, 17:52   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, but then you'd be living in Australia
Alot worse places than Australia, I still believe it's one of the best places in the world to live, not that I've seen the whole world.

Regarding great land and climate , Northern NSW is hard to beat, always lush, massive water table, great soil, not in the middle of nowhere and beautiful, it's hard to beat imho, theres even lots of communal living type arrangements that may suit you John, going on the narrative you often spin
Old 23-10-2019, 17:56   #559
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It was meant to be taking the piss Dale, lucky country indeed.

Spent many years in intentional communities, rainbow festivals etc and yes kindred spirits still.

Just prefer less developed communities now. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 17:58   #560

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Regarding great land and climate , Northern NSW is hard to beat, always lush, massive water table, great soil, not in the middle of nowhere and beautiful....
Guess where I live.....????

{smug grin}
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 18:19   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
It was meant to be taking the piss Dale, lucky country indeed.

Spent many years in intentional communities, rainbow festivals etc and yes kindred spirits still.

Just prefer less developed communities now. . .
Sorry John, I misinterpreted it a little bit.

Yer, it is s great country, I whinge and bitch about it at times as certain things disappoint, but overall I truly know I was blessed to be born in such a country and have that passport, travel and meeting many less fortunate than I have taught me this.

Rainbow festivals etc , you'd fit right into the surrounding areas that I've spend many years in ie Nimbin was just up the road, being the capitalist I am I dont blend in quite as well..lol.
Old 23-10-2019, 18:40   #562
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes Nimbin's the bomb.

Byron Bay used to be similar, went a bit upmarket 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 23:44   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Go see how things are going in Venezuela. The people who were already good at using violence and force to take what they wanted, have thrived. Normal people, not so much.
Exactly my point. The quasi-first world folks simply take what they need from the subsistence folks.

Not saying it won't be messy but the idea that if oil supplies slow down, the subsistence farmers will be left to do their thing while the 1st world folks stave to death is ludicrous.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 13:26   #564

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Btw, your idea of lush and mine are a world apart.. lol. I also lived in Brisbane and know the area west of brisbane.
I also mentioned north of Brisbane, land between Noosa And Nambour

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 14:33   #565
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

That was on my shortlist when.I retired.... Beautiful area!
....but the women of the Philippines and the cruising potential drew me in another direction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1%202DSC%203.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	202024Click image for larger version

Name:	7%20Sealife%20%20DSC_0013.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	202025Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191007-WA0000.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	202026
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 18:10   #566

Quote:

Yes I like it up there behind the sunshine coast, that's a very green photo, not always that green, but it is nice.

When I put glass house mountains into real estate.com the cheapest acreage (small acreage) I'm seeing is approx 550k, that's not bad considering your only approx an hour from Brisbane but it's still not what I consider great value ,of course you can keep moving west and north but that starts changing things.

I'm still not convinced your examples prove me wrong. I Googled apartments in the Cairns area in the price range you spoke of, mainly your only getting resort 40-50m2 square studios for that price and they come with large body Corp( $130-180/ week) plus 3k rates which impacts heavily on returns, with full occupancy your lucky to net 3-4%. Also your not buying 4-6 of them in one block and I was talking about an apartment block. I did stubble across one 3 x 1 bedroom complex in a Cairns suburb ,old but neat enough that was returning approx 6% which isnt bad in our current Australian world in fact good specially if you consider what a term deposit yields you ,but its still dismal compared to some places I see in the states that are considered overvalued yet have much better returns than we get here.

Not argueing just not seeing what you want me to see.

My point is based on returns ,I see very little value, based on comparisons to places overseas I see very little value. The key word here is value.
Old 24-10-2019, 18:19   #567

Boat: Still building

Queensland I'm thinking "islands", not mainland. Too much of the 'roving bands of zombies' anywhere within cooee of a city or urban area, e.g. Sunshine Coast hinterland.

Maybe Middle Percy, as they have water, goats, veggie garden, hurricane hole (for shallow draft vessels)....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 06:24   #568
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

International Living Annual Global Retirement Index
The World’s Best Places to Retire in 2021

InternationalLiving.com‘s 2021 Global Retirement Index scores the world’s top 24 retirement destinations across 10 categories, including cost of living, retiree benefits, climate, healthcare, and more. This yearly Index examines safe, good-value destinations beyond the U.S. or Canadian borders—comparing, contrasting, ranking, and rating them to select spots across the globe where a retired couple can live a comfortable, carefree, affordable life.
According to InternationalLiving.com's 2021 Global Retirement Index, the world's top 10 retirement destinations are:
#1 Costa Rica*
#2 Panama
#3 Mexico
#4 Colombia
#5 Portugal
#6 Ecuador
#7 Malaysia
#8 France
#9 Malta
#10 Vietnam
* A couple can live comfortably, but not necessarily extravagantly, here [Costa Rica] for around $2,000 a month. This includes renting a two-bedroom home with North American amenities, air conditioning, plus groceries, entertainment, transportation, and healthcare. If your monthly budget is closer to $2,500 to $3,000, you will find a relaxed lifestyle with every comfort you require.
More https://internationalliving.com/the-...=press-release

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 08:23   #569

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
International Living Annual Global Retirement Index
The World’s Best Places to Retire in 2021

InternationalLiving.com‘s 2021 Global Retirement Index scores the world’s top 24 retirement destinations across 10 categories, including cost of living, retiree benefits, climate, healthcare, and more. This yearly Index examines safe, good-value destinations beyond the U.S. or Canadian borders—comparing, contrasting, ranking, and rating them to select spots across the globe where a retired couple can live a comfortable, carefree, affordable life.
According to InternationalLiving.com's 2021 Global Retirement Index, the world's top 10 retirement destinations are:
#1 Costa Rica*
#2 Panama
#3 Mexico
#4 Colombia
#5 Portugal
#6 Ecuador
#7 Malaysia
#8 France
#9 Malta
#10 Vietnam
* A couple can live comfortably, but not necessarily extravagantly, here [Costa Rica] for around $2,000 a month. This includes renting a two-bedroom home with North American amenities, air conditioning, plus groceries, entertainment, transportation, and healthcare. If your monthly budget is closer to $2,500 to $3,000, you will find a relaxed lifestyle with every comfort you require.
More https://internationalliving.com/the-...=press-release

Mexico

After 18yrs of cruising and living in a number of countries, some very expensive, several quite inexpensive, we settled in Mexico. We live on the boat and our monthly budget runs about $3400, and there are several annual expenses which add to that.

Food is cheap, medical care (except major medical emergencies) is inexpensive, anything which is mostly labor is very inexpensive. Marina berths are similar to US prices. Boat parts are high due to importation costs.

People back home worry about crime in Mexico, but other than petty crime we don't feel it is an issue here. We feel safe.

I think living ashore in an apartment would be cheaper but we are not ready for that.
Old 14-03-2021, 08:57   #570

Quote:

I found Noosa REALLY expensive. Last year I drove up and down the Sunshine and Gold Coasts looking at real estate. LOVE that whole area but I don't see how anybody could feel rich living there with only 200K.

I would move to OZ in a heartbeat if I could. Too bad the govt isn't accepting retirement visa applications. I was all set to purchase a very nice home, didn't even mind the 7% foreigner surcharge to the stamp tax which added $200k to the closing price.

Which is another reason 200k won't get you much as a foreigner IF you are ever allowed in.