Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 03:13   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Plan? No Plan? A plan written on beach sand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I don't know if he still feels this way, but Jim once said he hoped he'd die jumping out of a whore house window at the age of 106.....
It could be worse, he might have wanted to die climbing into a whorehouse window at 106 years old.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:20   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

So Mike, not being so much of a planner, is this something you had to work towards or have you always been this way.

Me personally, I don't think it's just societal conditioning, it's actually in me to worry about and plan the future, not saying this is a good thing.

Obviously the best balance would be "live today but plan for tomorrow".

There's no doubt to many of us miss the NOW due to planning tommorow,Its very much the western (US centric) way.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:16   #33

Quote:
I don't know if he still feels this way, but Jim once said he hoped he'd die jumping out of a whore house window at the age of 106.....
....aiming for his donkey. But missing it and falling down a hole.

Which goes to show, if you can't tell your ass from a hole in the ground, you'll likely end up dead.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:27   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Dale, interesting question — something much better discussed over many a beer. But I certainly haven’t worked towards achieving my lackadaisical attitude — that would require planning .

As with all of us, my personality has been shaped by both nature and nurture. Upbringing and family, influential friends, and life events shape us all. But as you say, our genetics contributes more to our personalities than some of us like to admit. We are definitely not blank slates. Nature does shape us, but we aren’t a slave to our genes either.

On the nurture side, I do think a big contributor for most of us is the way our developed societies promote the constant drive for MORE. The very idea of ENOUGH is verboten. This leads most of us to spend more time thinking (and planning) about the future than focusing on the present.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:30   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Jumping out, or being thrown out? .
Old 07-05-2019, 06:37   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I tend to take things literally. I always find it difficult not to claim my leather shoes and cotton shirts when clearing customs and asked if I'm bringing animal or plant products into the country. So, when I read the title of this thread, ".... a plan written on beach sand", I was recalling a time in 1969 when I was sketching out the cabin layout of Dickerson 35 in the Virginia Beach sand. I was doing this to share a plan to live on board a sailboat that I first made at twelve years old in 1958. The object of the plan in the sand was a plan to convince a young lady to share the plan.

Many of the posts on this thread suggest that planning is futile; but for me, having the plan is being at the helm. Does planning limit freedom? ......prevent flexibility or adaptation to the unexpected? .....jinx success? ....foreshadow failure? ....label the planner as having "OCD"? (...and why is it obsessive compulsive "Dis"order when it's all about order?)

That girl that I drew the plans in the sand for in 1969 is with me now fifty years later as planned. We planned our 45 years of liveaboard cruising; planned our two children; planned to live on less than our income; planned for the inevitable loss of the physical means to remain aboard.

It might not be everyone's plan, but it works for me!
Old 07-05-2019, 06:52   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Very few people actually “plan.” Most of us just live routines. If we planned we would have a lot more money in the bank for retirement.

I’ve been a hard core planner, personally and professionally. It got me to retirement, later than planned but there. Now that I’ve retired I am still a compulsive planner, but in reality it’s more of a “dreamer” than planner.

The thing is plans can take a life of their own, you can get locked into some plan and wake up 40 years latter saying “How did I get here?” Well buddy, you planned for it and worked at it. No, plans need to be flexible, and disposable when they become untenable or revel unintended consequences.

I’ve got at least 2 plans for this summer, no clue which one I’ll execute. But I’m working both. I’ve a very rough idea for next summer season.

I drive my poor Wife crazy.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:45   #38

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have goals not plans for destinations. I started with a goal of seeing the South Pacific, I may make it, or maybe not. I’d like to, but it’s apparent the better half won’t make the crossing with me, or maybe said a better way, maybe it’s best I take crew or a pro delivery Capt with me

Finances is where in my opinion you need a plan

Sounds like my life
Old 07-05-2019, 08:51   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Jumping out, or being thrown out? .
I would bet jumping. Any 106 man can get thrown. But to still be able to jump, well that's priceless.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:28   #40

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I've found that the more I plan, the more the Universe laughs.

Back East we planned to be in Boston for the 4th of July to watch the USS Constitution sail (or just be turned around for the the year). A sail of about 250 miles, piece of cake. We left each year, and each year life got in the way, breakdowns, family crises - one year my husband left his wallet home and we didn't discover it until we were in Martha's Vineyard and had to turn around and go back. This went on for 6 years.

Now we want to go to Alaska. We thought we'd fix this old boat up and cast off. Hah! First an almost total refit, drained the bank accounts, had to lie low to build them up again, set off last year and poof! found that the old windlass was seriously undersized for this boat and the 35 year old refrigeration was going to kill us. Back to civilization and more money, more time, more, more, more.

Now we stand poised to try again. Only one thing is different. Now we say that we are sailing "north" and we will turn around when we run out of summer, money or fun. I'm so tired of not reaching my destination that I'm refusing to have a destination now.

I'll let you know how it works.....
Hi redhead. Sorry to hear you have had a few issues getting out; seriously hope you make it out to the northern end of the Inside Passage this year, you will really enjoy it. I would like to hear how it goes when you get out there!

Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:29   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Prime example, in Cape Verde solo a while ago getting set to go to Carib, couple boats com into the anchorage "we're off to Brazil tomorrow, wanna come?"
What a fun 6 months that was!
^^^ This is exactly my First Mate's outlook. All our adventures have been prompted by her. She does the "Let's do this / go there..." and I do the planning to make it happen.

Great thread.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:32   #42

Boat: Selene 43

You MUST make a Plan.
If you don’t have one, how can you change it?
GB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:35   #43

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I think the older you get the less you plan to be someplace at a given time. No matter what we do plans change as events happen. We have a general idea of what we want to do but I am happy just to be out anywhere.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:44   #44

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We made a 'plan' when we went to Alaska for the winter 2 years ago. Stopping at all the 'right' places and then a lot of motoring to get to the next place on the plan. It was ok, and we did see a lot of really cool, interesting places and things; but we did try to squeeze in as much as we could and did not leave time to just stop and hang out if we wanted to.

This year our plan is to 'sail where the wind takes us'. Not really caring where we end up for the night, but with just a general overall view of where we will go for the season. We'll see how that works out.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:53   #45

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
We made a 'plan' when we went to Alaska for the winter 2 years ago. Stopping at all the 'right' places and then a lot of motoring to get to the next place on the plan. It was ok, and we did see a lot of really cool, interesting places and things; but we did try to squeeze in as much as we could and did not leave time to just stop and hang out if we wanted to.

This year our plan is to 'sail where the wind takes us'. Not really caring where we end up for the night, but with just a general overall view of where we will go for the season. We'll see how that works out.
It takes awhile to figure out what cruising style really fits you best. Some need to make distance, some need to see every place on the travel brochure, others prefer to get to know a location before moving on. Cruising is more than just getting the t-shirt.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote