Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 03:59   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Plan? No Plan? A plan written on beach sand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
...So, that's been my experience with planning: you start out with fairly rigid ideas, mostly due to forces outside your control (like work). As you gain experience, you learn to extemporize, to adjust and to enjoy the "now", and soon you find yourself next to Mike O, drawing things in the beach sand and thinking about the happy hour to come!
Nicely put Jim. Love the story of your evolution. I bet many cruisers go through a similar transition.

For me, I suppose I had followed a similar path, but it started long before I started sailing and cruising. Life events, life choices, and work decisions all meant I was already living a pretty unstructured life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When do you plan on moving out of the single anchorage where you spent the entire 2018 season?
Probably this season, but maybe not. Who know … we might ge seduced by the same spot this season (which is the point ) . As Jim says, “if you are having a good time where you are, don't leave for some arbitrary place on the plan...” .

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
...Often society trys to instill guilt on someone that changes his/her mind frequently in regards to planning, one that has imagination and gets excited finds it easy to change plans and direction.

The only constant in life is change.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:11   #77
cruiser

Staying in one anchorage for more than a week at a time is difficult for us to imagine, let alone one or two complete seasons in the same spot. We keep on moving because there’s so much to see and not so much time.

This year, we’ll be cruising 10-15 different countries on two continents without a specific plan or schedule. The journey begins again on Sunday.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:26   #78

Quote:
Staying in one anchorage for more than a week at a time is difficult for us to imagine, let alone one or two complete seasons in the same spot. We keep on moving because there’s so much to see and not so much time.

This year, we’ll be cruising 10-15 different countries on two continents without a specific plan or schedule. The journey begins again on Sunday.
I’ve found that there is wonder and beauty everywhere. I stared at the same shore for two months, and it was constantly changing — never the same . I could easily spend another season anchored in the same spot.

Some people need constant new external stimuli. Others, not so much. I suspect this has something to do with the introvert-extrovert spectrum. I also think this correlates to the whole planners spectrum we’re discussing.

BTW, I’m NOT saying what you do is wrong, nor am I saying what I do is right. It’s just different.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:39   #79

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve found that there is wonder and beauty everywhere. I stared at the same shore for two months, and it was constantly changing — never the same [emoji2]. I could easily spend another season anchored in the same spot.

Some people need constant new external stimuli. Others, not so much. I suspect this has something to do with the introvert-extrovert spectrum. I also think this correlates to the whole planners spectrum we’re discussing.

BTW, I’m NOT saying what you do is wrong, nor am I saying what I do is right. It’s just different.
And this is where change comes in.

Sometimes I like moving alot and other times I want to sit. I'm currently wanting to sit in the same place for mths and develop some routines. Unfortunately won't be putting that plan into action for another 5-6 weeks as I've got approx another 2,400nm to go before I get to a place that I want to sit in.

Met a couple last week that did 22k nm last year, they are heading around the world in a two year period, I'm on year 10......whos doing it the right way?..... there is no right way.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 13:00   #80

Quote:
Sometimes I like moving alot and other times I want to sit. I'm currently wanting to sit in the same place for mths and develop some routines. Unfortunately won't be putting that plan into action for another 5-6 weeks as I've got approx another 2,400nm to go before I get to a place that I want to sit in.
This has been our pattern so far. We go someplace new, usually travelling many hundreds to a couple thousand miles away. We then stay in that area for a few years. This way we’re not just tourists passing through. We get to know the area and the community. We become part of the community.

Quote:
Met a couple last week that did 22k nm last year, they are heading around the world in a two year period, I'm on year 10......whos doing it the right way?..... there is no right way.
The way that young couple is doing things holds no appeal to me. Racing around the world, or visiting 10-15 different countries in one season, makes no sense to me. There’s no way I could get a sense of any place when I'm just racing through like that. This way is not for me…

But as you say, there is no one right way. Some people thrive on this sort of constant motion. All the power to them. I like to take it slow. No right or wrong here, just different.
Old 08-05-2019, 13:29   #81

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This has been our pattern so far. We go someplace new, usually travelling many hundreds to a couple thousand miles away. We then stay in that area for a few years. This way we’re not just tourists passing through. We get to know the area and the community. We become part of the community.

The way that young couple is doing things holds no appeal to me. Racing around the world, or visiting 10-15 different countries in one season, makes no sense to me. There’s no way I could get a sense of any place when I'm just racing through like that. This way is not for me…

But as you say, there is no one right way. Some people thrive on this sort of constant motion. All the power to them. I like to take it slow. No right or wrong here, just different.
For some it's about achievement, how much can I see etc, for me it's about living somewhere new for a good stretch of time.

Also I'm with Robert who confessed earlier he dosent like passages, "I don't like passages", it's the part of the cruising life that sucks for me, small coastal stuff, preferably anchored each night is what I like,the moment teleportation is an option I'm in!!!!
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 14:35   #82
cruiser

If the plan is to stay put in one place for several years looking at the same scenery, wouldn’t it be a lot easier and make more sense to live in a trailer and not have to worry about dragging anchor, sinking, emptying the composter or taking a dinghy to shore?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 15:02   #83
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
If the plan is to stay put in one place for several years looking at the same scenery, wouldn’t it be a lot easier and make more sense to live in a trailer and not have to worry about dragging anchor, sinking, emptying the composter or taking a dinghy to shore?
It would, buy hey WE ARE BOATERS

Now my current plan is to have some boat burgers (burgers because I’m poor boat scum) with some wine (wine because I live on a yacht)

Old 08-05-2019, 15:14   #84

My life is nothing but planning right now. I'm an owner's rep building a high rise. I have to plan to meet with people to make plans. I can't wait for the day when I can put this down and move on. I'm very curious where my mind can go and what it can do when not locked into a spreadsheet or a calendar.

I'm sure I can keep track of all the details involved in keeping a boat afloat- you know, more or less. I enjoy "planning" contingencies- weather, emergencies or changing fancies (oh hey, Brazil!)

In the mean time, I have to plan to actually make it onto a boat- saving money, taking classes, trips, mile-building. Otherwise I'm just another dreamer at a desk...

But mainly, I can't wait for it to be okay writing plans in the sand.
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 15:47   #85
CLOD

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;2885468
Now my current plan is to have some boat burgers (burgers because I’m poor boat scum) with some wine (wine because I live on a yacht)

[/QUOTE]

Damn those were good!!
Old 08-05-2019, 16:42   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Damn those were good!!
SB1, are you not the guy who complains about folks posting off-topic comments in YOUR threads?

Jim
Old 08-05-2019, 17:01   #87
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
SB1, are you not the guy who complains about folks posting off-topic comments in YOUR threads?

Jim
It was on topic, I planned the meal and that was a short term cruising related plan.

You have any other sarcastic attack to make as I would probably not be able to get away with it?

I’ll put thread on ignore
Old 08-05-2019, 18:27   #88

Quote:
Also I'm with Robert who confessed earlier he dosent like passages, "I don't like passages", it's the part of the cruising life that sucks for me, small coastal stuff, preferably anchored each night is what I like,the moment teleportation is an option I'm in!!!!
I’ve yet to experience an ocean crossing. I’m not sure how I’ll respond. The longest passage we’ve made so far is three days. I enjoyed the rhythms, but I can’t say if I’ll feel the same after two, three or more weeks.

I’ll probably find out some day … or maybe I won’t. No real plans either way .
Old 08-05-2019, 18:35   #89

A poor plan is better than no plan. Planning to an 85% solution (USMC, USCG) is acceptable because, "no plan survives first contact with the enemy", conditions will be a little different when you get there.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 18:39   #90

Quote:
Kinda funny… I have said the same to people who insist on carrying all of land’s luxuries with them; it would be a lot easier and make more sense to live in a land house. But for some reason, we all seem to like boats.