Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2022, 12:33   #1

Boat: 40’ Bruns Craft M/Y
Portable Diesel Heater Exhaust Solution

Hey all,

Not sure if I’m posting in the correct place but hope I can find some help or guidance.

My wife and I are spending our first winter on our vessel and are looking for a cheap/temporary(one winter) heating solution. I found some cheap diesel heaters and want to buy the portable version. Only issue I’m having is I want to vent the exhaust out of a window. I’m just not sure what meter I’ll to fabricate it out of or if it’s even possible with the temperature of the exhaust hose. Ideally I would fab something from wood and just stick it in the window to vent out of it.

Any insight or suggests are wholly appreciated.

We have electric oil filled radiant heaters but power limitations make this a big issue. In addition I have a few co detectors to prevent any issues regarding leaks.

Thank you in advance!
FloatyHouseGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 12:59   #2

Boat: Imexus 28
Re: Portable Diesel Heater Exhaust Solution

It’s not just leaks as it is possible oxygen consumption if it is fitted inside the boat. Have you got a shot or model designation of what you are proposing to use. Many used on caravans and campers duct the hot air into the living space and have the heater located somewhere outside. It sounds like you are mounting the heater inside of wanting to vent it’s exhaust gas out through a window?
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 13:18   #3

Boat: New Horizons 25'

I have a 5kw diesel heater in my camper van. The exhaust gets very hot. I wouldn't want in in contact with wood at all. My suggestion would be to cut a piece of plywood to fit the window, then use a piece of sheet steel or similar material, a couple inches bigger in radius than the exhaust, screwed and sealed to a cutout in the wood, and run the exhaust through that. I'd want 1.5 inches or so between the exhaust and wood. I'm pretty sure my exhaust is 1.25" in diameter, so a 4"+ hole would be needed.

My setup has carpet within about an inch of the exhaust in my van, and it hasn't gotten too hot running the heater on medium overnight several times.

If you go this route, and especially if you run the combustion intake through the same window, make sure it's is far enough away that it doesn't pull exhaust gas in.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 13:28   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

What portable one the Chinese ones are not really portable.
Old 16-10-2022, 13:29   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

QUOTE: "My setup has carpet within about an inch of the exhaust in my van, and it hasn't gotten too hot running the heater on medium overnight several times."

Could I suggest a piece of sheet metal with short legs between the exhaust and the carpet? Air space above and below? Just enough to stop the radiant heat.
Old 16-10-2022, 14:03   #6

Anticipate getting a lot of advice regarding stay away from these “Cheap Chinese” heaters. I don’t have a dog in the fight, and have seen a lot of happy users on YouTube. There’s a chap that’s done a bunch of reviews and tear downs. Search for his channel “John McK 47”. There are many other reviews and users of diesel heaters.

That said, I’ve considered a portable one as I believe you are referencing, for various uses. It has an onboard diesel fuel cell within its housing. My only thoughts are to consider leaving it outside the cabin, and routing the cabin air out to the heater and back into the boat via air duct tubing. You’ll need to construct some sort of interface at your portlight or companionway, much like folks do with portable or window air conditioners they adapt for boat use. This leaves the heater and all combustion gasses outside for safety.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 14:25   #7

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Anticipate getting a lot of advice regarding stay away from these “Cheap Chinese” heaters. I don’t have a dog in the fight, and have seen a lot of happy users on YouTube. There’s a chap that’s done a bunch of reviews and tear downs. Search for his channel “John McK 47”. There are many other reviews and users of diesel heaters.

That said, I’ve considered a portable one as I believe you are referencing, for various uses. It has an onboard diesel fuel cell within its housing. My only thoughts are to consider leaving it outside the cabin, and routing the cabin air out to the heater and back into the boat via air duct tubing. You’ll need to construct some sort of interface at your portlight or companionway, much like folks do with portable or window air conditioners they adapt for boat use. This leaves the heater and all combustion gasses outside for safety.
For dry heat you are better off using outside air for a source, not re-heating inside air as you propose. The reason is that outside air, being cold, holds less moisture. Inside air is warm and moist especially with people breathing and cooking going on.
Old 16-10-2022, 14:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
For dry heat you are better off using outside air for a source, not re-heating inside air as you propose. The reason is that outside air, being cold, holds less moisture. Inside air is warm and moist especially with people breathing and cooking going on.
Agreed… to a point. And if humidity control is a big issue, than it’s a big point. But if BTU capacity is an issue than 100% blow out is excessive. You don’t want to be trying to heat cold air, while having to vent an equal amount (especially 100%) of warm interior air to the outside as you’re blowing in. I would consider installing a small “Y” in my intake tube coming from the interior with a damper control to moderate the amount of makeup air you want to turnover to control humidity. I’m guessing a small (10%) makeup air would be more than adequate. You’d need your HVAC experts to weigh in.

Valid point well taken.
Old 16-10-2022, 14:55   #9

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

NEVER use an un-vented fuel burning appliance (diesel, propane)without separate air intake and exhaust systems.

Simply rely on your oil-filled radiators and buy small Honda or Yamaha generator (1200w) to run the radiators as backup power supply

Put the genny on the dive platform or in cockpit if you have drains without p-traps in them.

Dont want to euthanize yourself and your crew.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 15:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
NEVER use an un-vented fuel burning appliance (diesel, propane)without separate air intake and exhaust systems.
…Snip….
He’s not trying to. He’s asking if it’s possible to vent via some sort of adapter through a window or porthole. (In theory it is possible…). He’s asking about a portable diesel heater indoors with exhaust vented out. Yes, it could in theory work. You’d also have to monitor where combustion air was being pulled in for CO issues. The OP also mentioned using CO detectors, so he’s obviously at least somewhat aware of that issue. I specifically don’t like the idea of a portable diesel fueled item with onboard tank being used within the cabin. You’d struggle to get out fast enough if you had a fire.
Old 16-10-2022, 16:01   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyHouseGuy View Post
Not sure if I’m posting in the correct place but hope I can find some help or guidance.

My wife and I are spending our first winter on our vessel and are looking for a cheap/temporary(one winter) heating solution. I found some cheap diesel heaters and want to buy the portable version

Is your boat capable of leaving the marina?

My advice is to either move the boat to someplace warm or get an apartment.

Quote:
In addition I have a few co detectors to prevent any issues regarding leaks.
A few co detectors, do not make an unsafe heating system, into a safe heating system.
Old 16-10-2022, 16:07   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyHouseGuy View Post
Hey all,

My wife and I are spending our first winter on our vessel and are looking for a cheap/temporary(one winter) heating solution. I found some cheap diesel heaters and want to buy the portable version. Only issue I’m having is I want to vent the exhaust out of a window. I’m just not sure what meter I’ll to fabricate it out of or if it’s even possible with the temperature of the exhaust hose. Ideally I would fab something from wood and just stick it in the window to vent out of it.

Any insight or suggests are wholly appreciated.

We have electric oil filled radiant heaters but power limitations make this a big issue. In addition I have a few co detectors to prevent any issues regarding leaks.

Thank you in advance!

Ok I’m like you. I’m living on board fully though the winter this year. Like you Ive used a oil filled radiator.

I’m fitting a Chinese hot air system , I do not believe these are suitable for truely portable operation.

The exhaust is very very hot and needs insulated ducted stainless steel exhaust flexible piping to the dedicated exhaust hull skin fitting

This is not something you “ hang « out a window !!
Old 16-10-2022, 16:36   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

[QUOTE=FloatyHouseGuy;3693203]I found some cheap diesel heaters and want to buy the portable version. Only issue I’m having is I want to vent the exhaust out of a window./QUOTE]

The other issue I have with this is that it's going to be underfoot. So would you stand it on the salon floor? Under the table?

Wherever you put it it's going to be in the way and it's not going to live there when you go sailing. It's like buying an Engle and putting it on the settee, wherever you put these things it isn't really suitable for going out and really unsuitable for rough weather. It's just another excuse not to go out, it takes two days to get the boat ready.

You are better off biting the bullet and doing a permanent installation.
Old 16-10-2022, 18:08   #14

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
QUOTE: "My setup has carpet within about an inch of the exhaust in my van, and it hasn't gotten too hot running the heater on medium overnight several times."

Could I suggest a piece of sheet metal with short legs between the exhaust and the carpet? Air space above and below? Just enough to stop the radiant heat.
Thanks for the suggestion, however, the exhaust goes through the floor, and carpet, at a 90 degree angle, so I cut the carpet back an inch wider all around the the exhaust pipe so there wouldn't be any direct contact. The heater itself sits on an aluminum bracket with air space above, below, and to each side.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 18:13   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What portable one the Chinese ones are not really portable.
These ones are...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, exhaust, heater