Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2021, 22:37   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Porthole rain shields

I know there is a 2015 thread on "Rain diverters" or "Rain Shields" but I have decided to open up a new thread.

I'm building my yacht and I have just bought the last of my mattresses for $1200. They have a non waterproof covering so I am a bit concerned about (small) leaks in opening portholes. I looked at commercially available shields but they cost about $A89 each (and I need x12 of them) so I made some up myself.

The total cost for the twelve was around $50 but took several days. (That wasn't a problem as we have had record rains in Perth WA) I kept the price down as I got the perspex out of a recycle bin (for nix)

I'm wondering about the design of them: are they going to snag ropes? (I've glued them to the cabin side with Fixtech)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7364.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	244464   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7366.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	244465  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7393.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	244466  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 22:43   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Porthole rain shields

Coppec43 years ago a customer of mine made some out of Perspex using a metal plate for a mold and his oven at home to cook the Perspex. They looked pretty professional.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 22:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Coppec43 years ago a customer of mine made some out of Perspex using a metal plate for a mold and his oven at home to cook the Perspex. They looked pretty professional.
Cheers
Thanks for that.

I looked into molding the perspex sheet with a hair-dryer but they are not hot enough. I might put a sheet in the microwave and see what happens. It's still raining often here so the pressure is off since I made up these.

Of course the ones you buy are curved perspex so they must use heat
Old 30-08-2021, 00:51   #4

I wish I had seen how he did it. I thought using a dinner plate for a mold was pretty creative.
I wonder what the oven smelt like after cooking Perpsex?
I remember cooking some epoxy paint in a microwave on a cold day and it was not much good for food after that.
Cheers
Old 30-08-2021, 01:07   #5

Quote:
I wish I had seen how he did it. I thought using a dinner plate for a mold was pretty creative.
I remember cooking some epoxy paint in a microwave on a cold day and it was not much good for food after that.
Cheers

Maybe something like this would be a possibility?

Plastic Trays Acrylic Transparent Rectangular Heavyweight Serving Party Platter Food Tray

Old 30-08-2021, 01:55   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have seen some videos of guys building large ovens from insulation foam sheets for baking parts with powder coating etc. They made it look easy, using an electric heat element and thermostat. I decided to give a new paint system one more try before building ovens

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 02:22   #7

Quote:
Cheers
Epoxy flavored meat? Nah! (I wouldn't like that)

Did your wife speak to you after that? (I must admit I used my Wife's SS serving tray for a fiberglass mold but I had it back in the cabinet by the time she got home) I did look at a plastic disposable meat tray as a possible mold for a rain shield. Maybe?
Old 30-08-2021, 03:03   #8

Coopec43 the microwave was from a Coates Hire Smoko donga, I kept it spotless so hopefully the company never got billed for a new microwave.
There is certainly plenty of good molds in the kitchen, but I am a bit cautious about venturing there after being busted using the wife's flour sifter to get lumps out of Q-cell. still I was wondering if there is a roasting dish that could be used for a half mold to make your rain shields.
I like the meat trays, pity they are not tinted otherwise I reckon it would be fun to use one for a window shield and see how long they last? I am not sure how they would go in the oven. If I remember rightly my customer told me he laid the Perspex on the metal plate in the oven then pushed it into place once it was soft enough.
Cheers
Old 30-08-2021, 03:29   #9

I might try that tomorrow. I have a butane torch and plenty of perspex.

I never allow my wife to chuck out used roasting dishes as I keep them for my "recycled" nuts and bolts. I'll try using one of those dishes as a mold and report back tomorrow.
Old 30-08-2021, 03:32   #10

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

You need a large blow lamp the type used for tarring roofs, 250-300mm flame. I heat formed my windows a 750 x 600mm sheet of Acrylic took 22mins to reach malleability. The trick is to evenly heat, keep the flame moving and keep turning the item over. Once like a piece of soft leather lay it on the mould and clamp it down using oversized edges that can be trimed off when cold.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 03:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Cooper, those look great.
As far as snagging rope, well, everything will try to snag ropes. You have to practice good rope management, but I can't imagine there's a lot of bights of rope going by just there.
By the way, microwave ovens work by making water molecules vibrate. If you try to melt plastic in there, it won't, and you'll just end up blowing the micro's fuse (ask me how I know )
Old 30-08-2021, 03:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Cooper, those look great.
As far as snagging rope, well, everything will try to snag ropes. You have to practice good rope management, but I can't imagine there's a lot of bights of rope going by just there.
By the way, microwave ovens work by making water molecules vibrate. If you try to melt plastic in there, it won't, and you'll just end up blowing the micro's fuse (ask me how I know )

OMG! I wondered about that! (I was going to give it a wide berth)
Old 30-08-2021, 05:12   #13

It's just about bed time so I'll see if I can look at these tomorrow (I think they are relevant)

Perspex is another name for acrylic

Poly (methyl methacrylate) (PMMA), also known as acrylic, acrylic glass, perspex, or plexiglass, as well as by the trade names and brands Crylux, Plexiglas, Acrylite, Astariglas, Lucite, Perclax, and Perspex, among several others (see below), is a transparent thermoplastic often used in sheet form as a lightweight or ..

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...haping+perspex

Old 30-08-2021, 06:36   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have seen some videos of guys building large ovens from insulation foam sheets for baking parts with powder coating etc. They made it look easy, using an electric heat element and thermostat. I decided to give a new paint system one more try before building ovens

Depending how much work space you have the easiest oven would be a regular food oven someone was discarding due to an upgrade renovation. Plenty on craigslist here for free or very cheap.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 09:46   #15

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Coopec,
Do your rain shields stop the bounce back of water off the deck in heavy rains?

We have some prototype rain shield that have several slats in them and the bounce back is still problematic.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote