Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 08:41   #1

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Potential Liveaboard in Mexico at Anchor, Not in a Marina - What Difficulties ?

Another hypothetical scenario from me . Assume I have bought my floating/sailing steel bunker and I am in La Paz or have persuaded someone to take it further down south to a lesser developped area . I am trying to picture my potential probs and assess, if I want to live with them. I am assuming that I have spent time learning the boat, know how to put it in gear and go...

This whole exercise is a cash preservation exercise, not an exercise of "don't have any, but still want to do this ".

Security: Single woman liveaboard is something that gets known in Mexico ,especially if blond but I have a darling lab retriever mix that pretends to go psycho with visitors .Good enough ? No guns- liability in Mexico Don't even ,mention please because thread drift would be imminent.

Provisions/water I don't see a major problem with that as I am currently off the grid as water is concerned . The house has water, but water quality doubtful, so all water for cooking/ drinking gets bought . A dinghy trip per week just to deal with groceries and water and a day on the hook in the marina(paid if need be) should be ample to restock, do the laundry ? Plus solar shower, dives off the swim platform for the necessary and a bit of water to take the salt off .

Weather No experience of this but weather in the Sea of Cortes is 50:50 ? 6 months fairly even to 6 months from rollercoaster adrenaline level winds to "take me home Momma you were right all along" type and the days of hurricanes when I would need to move to shelter, unless just anchored of one of the hurricane shelter bays. Is this assessment reasonable?

Insurance for boat: Have not looked into this at all as I would be a german national with residence in Mexico with a colourful flag , maybe Bermuda. Don´t think I can fly the Mexican flag or that there is an international Mexican leisure vessel register, but I could be wrong.

VHF license : If I understand it correctly you can only have a foreign license transcribed to a Mexican license, if you are a foreign national,meaning there is no vhf license test you can sit as a foreigner here and get one from here . How would I get one to transcribe ? I would not really like to return to Germany for a license although auntie would be ecstatic and ground me permanently at my 46 years of age for even contemplating this adventure.

Repairs : I am assuming I wil just need to dock at marina for whatever is necessary and just stomach the bill then.

Have I missed any glaring inconveniences necessities of this scenario? Anybody done this in Mexico for any length of time?
Old 30-01-2011, 08:44   #2

Forgot to say

Electricity 3 solar panels producing 250 watts used for very little no aircon just boat necessities and internet .Hoping that broadband via cellular net reaches .
Old 30-01-2011, 08:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
...La Paz or ... further down south to a lesser developped area
Lesser development would be north of La Paz.

Otherwise it sounds like you are good to go. All your other concerns can be worked out along the way.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 09:19   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Have I missed any glaring inconveniences necessities of this scenario?
Heat.

Especially if you're living in a steel bunker.
Old 30-01-2011, 09:35   #5

Daddle,thank you. I had thought that the nearer the US border,the more development,the more cost . Interesting.

Bash,I had thought of it briefly, but had thought that if there is wind to sail there should be wind to ventilate, but thinking about it further it is a very important point to have a plan for. Thank you.
Old 30-01-2011, 10:06   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
There are people who live in La paz year round on boats it is possible. here is a group of cruisers that hang out in La Paz http://www.clubcruceros.org/

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 10:33   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
up into the sea of cortz there is a lil bay named gonzaga bay. is a provisioning place and showers--cheap showers,...yummy hot water(DONT drink it).... and deelishusss foods.... (cheap resrtaurant) has a small airfield.is a hub for those who reside to north-- go for provisioning 20 miles away. that campo from which gonzaga bay and can be seen from water at the islands known locally as los encantados..enchanted islands. there is a house of stones and a really really old wall structure of stones that was built decades ago, hence its name las paredes campo-- northern and was undeveloped part of that is a fishing camp. the stone house belonged /s to a friend of mine. rarely there. not sure of depth, tide runs long way out but not as bad as san felipe, more than half mile. will need depth sounder and 2 anchors good fro rocky bottoms. sea foods plentiful and there are rock oysters and conch and 100 yrds to south is clam bed-- have to ask augustino about that-- he has the house to south with a trailer and has a horse running around.... sorry i cant be any mor eaccurate, but once there , you will find i am ... very accurate- just look for the landmarks.. no one lived there...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 10:35   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Bash,I had thought of it briefly, but had thought that if there is wind to sail there should be wind to ventilate, but thinking about it further it is a very important point to have a plan for. Thank you.
A sizable number of Baja cruisers vanish during the summer months. It would be interesting to hear from some of the ones who remain through the summer how they cope with the heat. (I should add that over the course of the past decade I average a couple trips to Baja every year, but mostly during winter break and spring break, because I'm on a school schedule. I've never spent a summer there.)
Old 30-01-2011, 10:40   #9

Boat: In my dreams
"Security: Single woman liveaboard is something that gets known in Mexico ,especially if blond but I have a darling lab retriever mix that pretends to go psycho with visitors .Good enough ? No guns- liability in Mexico Don't even ,mention please because thread drift would be imminent."

Hold on let's focus on what's important here. Single Lady, Blonde, has own boat, and likes to sail. I'll be right down!... You don't mind a short, bald, bespectacled guy with a wife do you?
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 10:46   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if you can catch pulpo, the pangaderos will protect and guard you well. they will also trade 2 of their 5 gallon buckets of camarones for one pulpo of decent size. they are cool and bandidos stay on the shore in htis area i spoke of...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, liveaboard, Mexico