Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2016, 15:16   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: Puget Sound - need morage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Roche....ick
Roche is great in the winter. Quiet. Lots of crab and spot prawns. Crowds gone.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 19:11   #17

Boat: Islander 37

I would like to add Semiahmoo to your list for consideration. we loved Anacortes but Skyline over used by commercial and passenger ferries . we moved from there to Semiahmoo great community and facility, adjacent to Resort. Great access to Canada and San Juans. We got a savings of about 150$ per month vs Anacortas
live- aboards very welcome fair winds
patrick brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 19:53   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Across the water Vera Brook marina is great if you like simple, old school and reasonable prices. Between Sooke and Victoria and on active captain
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 15:01   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Get a kick out of these discussions of SJI. Grew up here. Sailed my first Lightning, solo (no engine) from my home in Deception Pass to Roche when I was 13 in 1961.
I think what is evident is how many great places there are up here (and in the Gulf Islands). Everyone has their biases. People hate Roche (too many rich people and big yachts? I sure liked it better in the 60's.) others hate other places for various reasons but, the truth is, it's all good.
Semiahmoo very nice but a long jaunt to get anywhere. Every place has it's pluses and minuses.
How about the Coast Hotel in Victoria? Some would hate it there. Others' would love it. Free pool and towel service etc.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 23:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I'm will probably be buying a boat in the Puget Sound area and will need a berth for 6-12 months where I can liveaboard. I've been checking the websites, but so far all the sites I've tried have 2-3 year waiting lists.

Any one in Puget Sound have a suggestion?
You might check, John Wayne Marina. Sequim.wa. I have a live aboard slip there and there are empty slips. Rated the best "little" Marina on the West Coast, modern facility's, decent price, beautiful area, great dock mates.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:07   #21

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
You might check, John Wayne Marina. Sequim.wa. I have a live aboard slip there and there are empty slips. Rated the best "little" Marina on the West Coast, modern facility's, decent price, beautiful area, great dock mates.

Let's see, a Harbor Master that hates boat owners, and his job. He was born for greater things just ask him. A resentful little twit really. He likes to call the authorities if anyone is anchored out for more than a day or two. Super tight getting anything but small sailboats and motor boats into the tight alleyways.
Can't get anywhere from there without a car. Cost are 50% higher than other close by marinas. A restaurant that eats an entire weeks food budget in one meal.
If your old with lots of money it's alright I guess.
How did it get that rating, and by whom?

Sequim Bay is nice, Sequim Bay Marina kinda bites. Plus it takes almost two hours to get to the straits, screw that.

Empty slips? Ya, probably!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Let's see, a Harbor Master that hates boat owners, and his job. He was born for greater things just ask him. A resentful little twit really. He likes to call the authorities if anyone is anchored out for more than a day or two. Super tight getting anything but small sailboats and motor boats into the tight alleyways.
Can't get anywhere from there without a car. Cost are 50% higher than other close by marinas. A restaurant that eats an entire weeks food budget in one meal.
If your old with lots of money it's alright I guess.
How did it get that rating, and by whom?

Sequim Bay is nice, Sequim Bay Marina kinda bites. Plus it takes almost two hours to get to the straits, screw that.

Empty slips? Ya, probably!
HA HA HA, I've heard about you too.....I wonder if it's the same folks that gave it the rating? Ron the Harbor Master is a nice guy by my experience with him. He's worked with me on several issues, giving ground in every one to my benefit. What nearby cheaper marinas do you speak of? And I'm pensioned out on disability by the military, I am not rich, wealthy, or even well off. What I do is live within my budget, I learned how to do that as a teenager, if you like I could show you how to do the same. I cook, not well but I can eat it, ha ha.....you? My monthly rent as a live aboard is less then $350 total a month, my last small studio apartment was a great deal more than that. So tell me what Marina charges $175. for a 30 foot live aboard, I'll move. There is no issue at all getting in and out of my slip, no jocking around, not once. And lastly two hours to the Straits? Really? Have you tried hoisting sail or starting your motor? Because after you leave Sequim Bay......you are in the Straits of Juan De Fuca. Have you tried the local public bus system, very good really. But I do own a beat up pickup truck, I don't mind helping out with a ride now and then. Are you still moored there?

P.S. I don't remember where I saw that rating to tell the truth, some website, I can only confirm that I agree. very clean...everywhere ...good security, 3 miles from down town Sequim. 4 miles from my daughter, grandchildren and great grandchild. SWEET!!!! I do have another question for you.......you say you can't get anywhere from there? Is your boat broken? I'm a damned good mechanic, maybe could help you getting her going so you can go somewhere.
Old 25-03-2016, 15:59   #23

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
HA HA HA, I've heard about you too.....I wonder if it's the same folks that gave it the rating? Ron the Harbor Master is a nice guy by my experience with him. He's worked with me on several issues, giving ground in every one to my benefit. What nearby cheaper marinas do you speak of? And I'm pensioned out on disability by the military, I am not rich, wealthy, or even well off. What I do is live within my budget, I learned how to do that as a teenager, if you like I could show you how to do the same. I cook, not well but I can eat it, ha ha.....you? My monthly rent as a live aboard is less then $350 total a month, my last small studio apartment was a great deal more than that. So tell me what Marina charges $175. for a 30 foot live aboard, I'll move. There is no issue at all getting in and out of my slip, no jocking around, not once. And lastly two hours to the Straits? Really? Have you tried hoisting sail or starting your motor? Because after you leave Sequim Bay......you are in the Straits of Juan De Fuca. Have you tried the local public bus system, very good really. But I do own a beat up pickup truck, I don't mind helping out with a ride now and then. Are you still moored there?

P.S. I don't remember where I saw that rating to tell the truth, some website, I can only confirm that I agree. very clean...everywhere ...good security, 3 miles from down town Sequim. 4 miles from my daughter, grandchildren and great grandchild. SWEET!!!! I do have another question for you.......you say you can't get anywhere from there? Is your boat broken? I'm a damned good mechanic, maybe could help you getting her going so you can go somewhere.

Wow, take it easy there old timer before you strain something. I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad, but is it o.k. if I have a different opinion than you?

And if that opinion differs from your own, you start being insulting, really? Then you throw a bunch of stuff in there about your kids, military service (careful square bob stinky pants, you ain't the only one, know what I mean?), what your last studio apartment cost, all that have absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

So yes, I exaggerated about the cost a bit, a slip in Port Angeles for your size boat would be 177.30 at the current rate. Not half, you're right (does that help hearing that?)

Sailing from the bay into the straits is something I do a LOT, and yet here you are telling me to raise my sails..... Your type really kills me, you buy a boat and three months later you're on here every day giving us all the benefit of your worldly sailing knowledge, and being insulting to those of us who are at least out there trying to get our **** right.........simply because my opinion differs from yours. Do all of us a favor, and go sailing, please.....the sooner you get your ass kicked out there, the sooner you'll be gone.

Getting in and out of slips? Have you even taken your three months old to you boat out of a slip yet? I'm out at least twice a week, and was at anchor for 8 months of twelve last year, I don't ever recall seeing you out ...... Ever........ How can you possibly even know what you're talking about?

I lived aboard in that marina for two years, but I'm a pretty low key guy and seriously doubt you've heard squat about me, but whatever. I saw how he interacted with everyone for years. I personally had no run ins with him, but I was witness to his bullying of quite a few people, and a young couple in particular because they weren't up to snuff for "his" marina, not to mention seeing his for **** attitude on the fuel dock as well. How long have you known him? Would THAT be three months as well? And to prove to yourself that your decision to live there is right for everyone, you've become a cheer leader? Great, what's next?

I guess you're right about public transportation too. There is a bus that runs by the marina.....what? once a day? The comment was meant for actual cruisers who while many can afford more than a "beat up old truck", aren't setting up house on the docks.

You know what, I'm going to end this here, even though I could go on.

I didn't mean to rain on your little parade there buddy. I was stating an opinion. Keep getting insulting when others state their opinions, and let me know how that works for you. Don't be surprised however when someone speaks up when the shitski is getting deep.

Live with it............

Who do you think turned in all the people that had boats on mooring balls there? Mr Harbormaster should keep his nose in the marina where it belongs and leave everyone else to worry about their business.

Hey I know, maybe you can give him a hand?
Old 10-04-2016, 13:53   #24

Boat: Tashiba-31
Re: Puget Sound - need moorage

Still looking for a place to dock and it's starting to get serious - just bought my boat and it's in Seattle! When the survey and sea trail are done I'm gonna need a berth where I can liveaboard until I can sail down to SF Bay!

Liberty Bay has a waiting list with 25 names on it.
So does Bremerton.

Anyone know of a slip I could sublease for a few months with liveaboard rights?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 14:01   #25

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Westshore Marina in Gig Harbor does livaboards and open slips. No onshore amenities like showers or bathrooms though. Just garbage, power and water.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 14:32   #26

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25

Hello dmksails,

My girlfriend and I are moving to Puget Sound on the first of September, and we've reserved a slip (with liveaboard rights) on Bainbridge island, Winslow Wharf marina. I'll be paying for it for the next 4 months, as I wasn't convinced I'd be able to find one later. If you're interested, I can reach out to them about you subleasing it at the current rate (just under 500/month for a liveaboard. It's a 30ft slip). I haven't been checking this site often, so if you're interested, call or shoot me a message. Eric, 814-441-1910

Take care
ericiralevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 14:52   #27

Boat: Tashiba-31

Thanks, but my boat is 31-ft - probably closer to 35 with the bowsprit
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 15:40   #28

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Shillshole has a few available on the sublet list as of Friday.

PM and I will forward
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 16:11   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
Still looking for a place to dock and it's starting to get serious - just bought my boat and it's in Seattle! When the survey and sea trail are done I'm gonna need a berth where I can liveaboard until I can sail down to SF Bay!

Liberty Bay has a waiting list with 25 names on it.
So does Bremerton.

Anyone know of a slip I could sublease for a few months with liveaboard rights?
Shoot Jeremy an email at railwaymarina.com he has a few marinas in then area usually has a couple free spots.
Old 10-04-2016, 20:05   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Wow, take it easy there old timer before you strain something. I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad, but is it o.k. if I have a different opinion than you?

And if that opinion differs from your own, you start being insulting, really? Then you throw a bunch of stuff in there about your kids, military service (careful square bob stinky pants, you ain't the only one, know what I mean?), what your last studio apartment cost, all that have absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

So yes, I exaggerated about the cost a bit, a slip in Port Angeles for your size boat would be 177.30 at the current rate. Not half, you're right (does that help hearing that?)

Sailing from the bay into the straits is something I do a LOT, and yet here you are telling me to raise my sails..... Your type really kills me, you buy a boat and three months later you're on here every day giving us all the benefit of your worldly sailing knowledge, and being insulting to those of us who are at least out there trying to get our **** right.........simply because my opinion differs from yours. Do all of us a favor, and go sailing, please.....the sooner you get your ass kicked out there, the sooner you'll be gone.

Getting in and out of slips? Have you even taken your three months old to you boat out of a slip yet? I'm out at least twice a week, and was at anchor for 8 months of twelve last year, I don't ever recall seeing you out ...... Ever........ How can you possibly even know what you're talking about?

I lived aboard in that marina for two years, but I'm a pretty low key guy and seriously doubt you've heard squat about me, but whatever. I saw how he interacted with everyone for years. I personally had no run ins with him, but I was witness to his bullying of quite a few people, and a young couple in particular because they weren't up to snuff for "his" marina, not to mention seeing his for **** attitude on the fuel dock as well. How long have you known him? Would THAT be three months as well? And to prove to yourself that your decision to live there is right for everyone, you've become a cheer leader? Great, what's next?

I guess you're right about public transportation too. There is a bus that runs by the marina.....what? once a day? The comment was meant for actual cruisers who while many can afford more than a "beat up old truck", aren't setting up house on the docks.

You know what, I'm going to end this here, even though I could go on.

I didn't mean to rain on your little parade there buddy. I was stating an opinion. Keep getting insulting when others state their opinions, and let me know how that works for you. Don't be surprised however when someone speaks up when the shitski is getting deep.

Live with it............

Who do you think turned in all the people that had boats on mooring balls there? Mr Harbormaster should keep his nose in the marina where it belongs and leave everyone else to worry about their business.

Hey I know, maybe you can give him a hand?
You must be a certified sad sack! To drool on and on l8ke you are. This was a question from the OP concerning moorage, do you have a suggestion for him.....or just more whinning and try to convince me how salty you are? Ha ha, your a joke. I've been on these waters for over 50 years and have taken many vessels of of many tight slips up to 56 feet. Sailing? Ya this is my first sail boat, so? I've taken her out of the slip a dozen times since I moved aboard, missed my slip once when I killed the engine, so freaking what. Now as far as calling me name, I'm on board now, John Wayne Marina, slip F-22, stop on by and try it face to face. Now as far as John Wayne Marine, ya they kick the low life's and rif raf out. I love it here. Ron the harbor master is looking at buying another boat, so hates boat owners? He is one , you idiot. Everyone here talked highly of him. He's quickly becoming a friend. Great guy! Seems you just have a problem or 10. Its clear why you spend that amount of time on anchor, nobody wants your whinning complaining ass around.
Just had a freaking great dinner at the marina restaurant, 20% off for tenants here. So full, so tired, now just layer out watching a move on netflix, via the wifi provided with moorage. Signing off to you, for good, your just to damned salty for the likes of me. P.S. F-22, stop on by, I'll buy the coffee and bandaids, ha ha ha!
P.S. did you ever manage to find Puget Sound? LOL

Tags
puget sound