Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2022, 15:45   #136

Boat: Looking to buy
Re: Question about battery power

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Located: La Paz, Mx
Solar: 400W directional
Batteries: 460W Firefly (90% usable)
Lighting: All LED
Navigation: .4A Opencpn on Raspberry pi / realVNC to iPad
Refrigeration: 25-30amps/day. Rebuilt 6 cubic foot fridge/freezer box with radiant barrier all round and 6” blue insulation. Isotherm compact SP sink drain/keel cooled.
Watermaker: spectra 200c (over 20 years old)

Batteries are usually at float by ~10:00am
Can go several days without sun.
Thank you very much, will do more search for spectra units, Raspberry pi will check also what I could transfer to that.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 06:38   #137

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Spectra Reverse osmosis water maker
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=263355
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 07:29   #138

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
Thank you very much, will do more search for spectra units, Raspberry pi will check also what I could transfer to that.
we have a spectra 200T uses about 8AH and produces close to 8 gallons of water per hour. Runs on 12V. This is more than sufficient fresh water for our needs. Typically we use one of our tanks til empty (140 liters), switch to the other tank, fire up the watermaker and let it run for 4-5 hours filling the empty tank.

We use 40-50 liters per day (in the tropics) so we fire it up every 3 days or so. More often if we are washing clothes.

making a decision on watermakers requires you think long and hard about your usage and your power source. A small DC watermaker will run on 12V adn if at anchor let you power it via your solar panels. A large volume AC (or engine mounted) lets you fill your tanks quickly, but requires much higher power (for shorter periods to time) If AC, usually you will need to run your engine or a generator.

We chose the small DC version because it produces what we need and also because it is quiet - it lives under our forward V-berth and when it is running we cannot hear it(I've slept in the berth while it was running).

There are many watermaker manufacturers - lots of room for discussion

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 08:56   #139

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

4 Lifeline 8D AGM batteries (older, came with the boat). 4 solar panels; 1-200W, 1-140W (both rigid), and a pair of semi-flexible 70W panels. Each rigid panel is on its own Victron controller and the semi-flexible pair is on a separate Victron controller.

I disagree with a few others on the responses here as we also have a D400 wind generator that has been very useful (and very quiet), putting out quite a bit of power when the wind is over 12 kns. At @ 15 kns we are getting 8-10 amps per a Victron shunt. I have seen up to 22 amps while we were at anchor; high wind with no fetch. Currently sitting at anchor with a small breeze of 4 to 7 kns and getting 1.5 to 2.5 amps steady. The wind gen is located on my canoe stern and there wouldn't be room for any more solar panels there anyway. It can and does sometimes shade the aft solar panel.

Came down from Seattle to Mexico last August - early November. We spent a little over 3 months on the hook and only went into a marina to finally wash the salt off the boat. All the charging sources worked well and if I had to do it over would still include a wind gen.

YMMV
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 10:16   #140

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

You may have gotten this response and IF so sorry.

How much battery I use of how much Bob, Bill, Sam and Joe uses is immaterial. Everyone has their own battery bank and how they use it is different. Kind of like asking gas milage or fuel usage.

Here is a sheet that you can use to calculate your usage. (https://www.emarineinc.com/pdf/vesse..._Estimator.pdf)

This may help more than telling you I carry over 600# of batteries and have 3-220w solar panels.

Hope this helps.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 12:19   #141

Thank you for the thread.
Old 18-04-2022, 12:24   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
we have a spectra 200T uses about 8AH and produces close to 8 gallons of water per hour. Runs on 12V. This is more than sufficient fresh water for our needs. Typically we use one of our tanks til empty (140 liters), switch to the other tank, fire up the watermaker and let it run for 4-5 hours filling the empty tank.

We use 40-50 liters per day (in the tropics) so we fire it up every 3 days or so. More often if we are washing clothes.

making a decision on watermakers requires you think long and hard about your usage and your power source. A small DC watermaker will run on 12V adn if at anchor let you power it via your solar panels. A large volume AC (or engine mounted) lets you fill your tanks quickly, but requires much higher power (for shorter periods to time) If AC, usually you will need to run your engine or a generator.

We chose the small DC version because it produces what we need and also because it is quiet - it lives under our forward V-berth and when it is running we cannot hear it(I've slept in the berth while it was running).

There are many watermaker manufacturers - lots of room for discussion
I just want a reliable DC watermaker that will make just enough water to go by.
Thank you.
Old 18-04-2022, 12:29   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
4 Lifeline 8D AGM batteries (older, came with the boat). 4 solar panels; 1-200W, 1-140W (both rigid), and a pair of semi-flexible 70W panels. Each rigid panel is on its own Victron controller and the semi-flexible pair is on a separate Victron controller.

I disagree with a few others on the responses here as we also have a D400 wind generator that has been very useful (and very quiet), putting out quite a bit of power when the wind is over 12 kns. At @ 15 kns we are getting 8-10 amps per a Victron shunt. I have seen up to 22 amps while we were at anchor; high wind with no fetch. Currently sitting at anchor with a small breeze of 4 to 7 kns and getting 1.5 to 2.5 amps steady. The wind gen is located on my canoe stern and there wouldn't be room for any more solar panels there anyway. It can and does sometimes shade the aft solar panel.

Came down from Seattle to Mexico last August - early November. We spent a little over 3 months on the hook and only went into a marina to finally wash the salt off the boat. All the charging sources worked well and if I had to do it over would still include a wind gen.

YMMV
Thank you for your input.
I wonder how is the maintenance of your wind generator, most people I know that have some are mostly cottage or hunting cabin owners and their main complaint is the need of replacing bearings/blades on a fairly regular basis.
Old 18-04-2022, 12:33   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
You may have gotten this response and IF so sorry.

How much battery I use of how much Bob, Bill, Sam and Joe uses is immaterial. Everyone has their own battery bank and how they use it is different. Kind of like asking gas milage or fuel usage.

Here is a sheet that you can use to calculate your usage. (https://www.emarineinc.com/pdf/vesse..._Estimator.pdf)

This may help more than telling you I carry over 600# of batteries and have 3-220w solar panels.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a million, this is just awesome to have, much obliged.
Old 21-04-2022, 16:32   #145

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

I sail a 39 foot Corbin PH Cutter.

I have three batteries onboard, 1 starting, 2 deep cycle AGM.

I have two solar panels and one wind generator.

I have refrigeration, SSB, Microwave on inverter and all the navigation instruments needed for a passage including forward looking and side scan sonar.
All lighting is LED. Every device when off is actually off, not idling.

The amount of battery capacity is directly related to consumption and generation. If you love your electronics and cannot live without loads of it have at least 4 deep discharge house batteries. Purchase a Balmar or similar high output alternator. Use whatever method to charge your batteries you need to to bring them up to top off, but be able to disconnect charge features to prevent cooking them. Even with a voltage regulator sometimes you can damage them. You need to manage the power not leave it to its own devices.

I am frugal with energy. I never have a hot beer on board and enjoy all the amenities of home. Just be smart in how you spend your battery bank.
Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 05:08   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman4009 View Post
I sail a 39 foot Corbin PH Cutter.

I have three batteries onboard, 1 starting, 2 deep cycle AGM.

I have two solar panels and one wind generator.

I have refrigeration, SSB, Microwave on inverter and all the navigation instruments needed for a passage including forward looking and side scan sonar.
All lighting is LED. Every device when off is actually off, not idling.

The amount of battery capacity is directly related to consumption and generation. If you love your electronics and cannot live without loads of it have at least 4 deep discharge house batteries. Purchase a Balmar or similar high output alternator. Use whatever method to charge your batteries you need to to bring them up to top off, but be able to disconnect charge features to prevent cooking them. Even with a voltage regulator sometimes you can damage them. You need to manage the power not leave it to its own devices.

I am frugal with energy. I never have a hot beer on board and enjoy all the amenities of home. Just be smart in how you spend your battery bank.
Thank you, will follow your advice.
Old 22-04-2022, 06:16   #147

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’ve lost track of all the battery threads sorry.
But at least one comment sank in when the electronics auto Nav reveal themselves as the real fiends.
One plotter uses 5amp while fridge is only 2. The autonav apparently can hit 20aH
Yes electronic toys are wonderful but I still carry every paper chart. Now I know why I have 600aH. Tbh we wanted to run the generator less.
Solar wind hydro what ever winds your watch. I’d like to see a better wind generator. I’m playing with hydro just for fun.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 06:23   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
I’ve lost track of all the battery threads sorry.
But at least one comment sank in when the electronics auto Nav reveal themselves as the real fiends.
One plotter uses 5amp while fridge is only 2. The autonav apparently can hit 20aH
Yes electronic toys are wonderful but I still carry every paper chart. Now I know why I have 600aH. Tbh we wanted to run the generator less.
Solar wind hydro what ever winds your watch. I’d like to see a better wind generator. I’m playing with hydro just for fun.
Thank you very much for confirming 600ah as adequate.

Tags
battery