Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 16:32   #16

Boat: Dolphin 460
Re: Question for the women...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslavik View Post
Now this may seem like a dumb question, but I'm very curious as to how the women like life aboard a sailboat. I'm not high maintenance at all, but I am concerned about not being able to wash my hair often and all! I guess it's mostly a general question.. but how would you rate your life aboard the boat?

Any input any of the female sailors and liveaboards can contribute would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
Good plan! Life afloat is wonderful. There are always phases of learning and adjustment; this is a good thing. It is a freeing, peaceful and independent lifestyle.

Since many have commented on the washing up bit, I'd like to add that I have super thick, curly hair and a thorough, fresh water wash is a must in my case. I've washed my hair in salt water w/ fresh water rinse, but my hair never dried due to the water-retaining properties of salt (nor did my pillow).

In general, cruising is one of the most amazing things you can do with your partner... Yes, it is 24/7 togetherness, but how lucky are we to be able to do this?!
Old 04-11-2013, 16:41   #17

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Red Charlotte just had a blog about this!

http://rebelheart.squarespace.com/charlottes-blog
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 20:32   #18

Boat: 37 Gulfstar
I can't really imagine moving back ashore but I also made this move entirely of my own accord.

I'm not cruising yet, so have the "luxury" of marina facilities, but still have certainly cut back on showers and hair-washing. I don't shower aboard because the host of hassles that condensation would cause annoy me more than going ashore. Once cruising and in warm climes I will definitely use a solar shower. For days I need endless hot water and/or want to use my hair dryer I shower at the local gym, with the added benefit of using their towels, shampoo, etc.

There's certainly more to consider than just showering. I pared down my make-up collection, and continued using my organization system with all eyeshadows in a labeled ziplock, all blushes in another labeled ziplock, etc. I hang earrings and necklaces from teacup hooks beside the mirror in the head. I have a ridiculous number of shoes, yet it's at most 25% of what I had before. I only gave up my beautiful acrylic nails, which were like having unbreakable tools of 5200 on my fingertips, because I worry about finding a quality, clean location for fills every three weeks once I'm cruising.

Personally, I think the idea that women sacrifice more or have to be catered to more in living aboard is bull$h!t. Women are tougher and more adaptable than men. But man or woman, only you know what your limits are. If living aboard feels like camping to you, you won't be long for it. Find whatever tricks make it not camping for you. That may be showering in the head rather than the cockpit, it may be using real glasses and plates instead of plastic. It isn't a contest to see who can tough it out more or give up more feminine things. No one wins a prize for cutting off their hair and shunning high heels. Liveaboards tend to be independent-minded folks who do it their own way. See what different gals are doing and then create the regimen and arrangements that work for you.
Old 05-11-2013, 22:55   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Sorry, but I am a dangly bits person responding. My lovely lady absolutely loves camping, and for long periods of time at that, so to suggest that living on a boat is like camping makes it more attractive to her not less. That's why I am thinking that she is a definite keeper.

Coops.
Old 06-11-2013, 00:25   #20

Boat: Contest 36'
I wash my hair everyday, I just can't use a blow dryer. I do use less makeup though. Usually none....after all, who am I trying to impress out here anyway.
Old 06-11-2013, 00:26   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I lived 18 yrs. with naught but a sun shower for all my bathing, and it really isn't a problem to do it this way. You will find that after swimming in the sea, if your hair was clean when you started, just a little, tiny bit of conditioner, followed by about one cup of fresh water, slowly poured over your head will keep your hair nice, and towel dry. When you have to conserve water, it really is pretty easy to discover for yourself how much more we tend to use than we actually need!
I've been cruising full time for six years now and I agree with Anne. As so many here have said, swimming keeps you clean in summer and very little little fresh water is needed to rinse off (and not a day goes by summer or winter that I don't wash my hair, skimping is unnecessary).

We rely almost purely on solar as our energy source, hot water included. There is a lot to be said for keeping systems very simple on board. Far less time is then spent repairing things or waiting for parts to come in .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
I have been cruising for a year now, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
+1. And the same goes for most of the other comments women have made here. Jslavik will get a skewed view though asking that question here LOL. Not many women who have not adapted well to cruising are likely to be members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post
If living aboard feels like camping to you, you won't be long for it. Find whatever tricks make it not camping for you. That may be showering in the head rather than the cockpit, it may be using real glasses and plates instead of plastic.
It isn't a contest to see who can tough it out more or give up more feminine things.
So very true!!! Find what pushes your button when it comes to easy to achieve luxuries and make sure you indulge LOTS .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24   #22

Boat: Centurion 32 ft

I've been a live aboard for the grand total of one month (I know, right). Loving every minute. There are challenges but they seem to become part of the lifestyle too, the fun of dealing with problems that come up that you would have never anticipated (weird rashes on the buttocks for example). I'm still adjusting to the seasickness and feeling pretty useless as a newbie but I wouldn't change anything.
Em

songs recorded in a boat you say? emmajayashton | Songs from the Seas
emmajayashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Ltd...k+shower+spray

I've been living aboard for for almost 7 years and cruising for 6, in the Med. We have an air cooled engine so don't get hot water when motoring. However we both have hot showers every day using one of these. In the summer the water gets to a perfect temperature with the sun, in the winter we add a kettle of hot water. My hair gets washed at least every day this way.

We meet many couples who are struggling with the cruising lifestyle as very often the female is 'doing it' for her partner. It's important for you BOTH to want to live this way to make a success of it. We all have our different comfort levels and things that we are willing to compromise on. You will find your own level and make it work if you both want it enough.
Old 28-11-2013, 11:02   #24

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslavik View Post
Hi everyone! My boyfriend (a world-class professional sailor) and I are considering buying a boat next year to sail the Caribbean. We're thinking about a Catalina 30, which we've seen is the best compromise for people on a budget and looking for small living quarters.

Now this may seem like a dumb question, but I'm very curious as to how the women like life aboard a sailboat. I'm not high maintenance at all, but I am concerned about not being able to wash my hair often and all! I guess it's mostly a general question.. but how would you rate your life aboard the boat?

Any input any of the female sailors and liveaboards can contribute would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
I have been living aboard our Colvic Watson 32 motor sailor with my husband for the last 20 years. I started sailing a couple of years after I met him. He was Royal Marine and is very good at relationships. He is caring and always puts me first. One thing he suggested to me was to cut my long hair which would make it easier to look after and quicker to dry. He learnt from a hairdresser how to cut my hair and has been doing it for the past 12 years. On the personal hygene side we like to have plenty packs of baby wet wipes the good quality ones. They are good for personal hygene (toilet) and for ladies at the monthly times to stay fresh. DON'T USE ANTIPERSPIRANT USE A DEODORANT. don't wear perfume or aftershave when sailing. A good tip is if you get dehydrated mix 8level teas spoons of sugar and one level teas spoon of salt in one litreof tepid water and shake like hell for a couple of mins. then drink all of it in one hour. you can repeat this as often as you feel the need. Clothing I hate synthetic and keep to natural fibers they take a little longer to dry but don't rub you sore you know where. Cooking we use a wok28cm a frying pan 20cm and a pressure cooker S/S 4.5 litres. I could go on and on but I am sure more ladies will tell you more tips. And yes my husband is perfect and I love him to bits. Happy sailing enjoy, enjoy
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 12:05   #25

Boat: Soverel 30

I have lived aboard boats for the past six years, and there is no place else I would rather be. Sun showers are great. In summer in the cockpit, head in winter. I have also set up an inflatable kids "dinghy" in the cockpit, for cooling off, sun bathing with salt water, or bathing with the solar shower and relaxing.
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 16:41   #26

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31
I usually rub shampoo into my dry hair before bathing in the sea. Two cups of fresh water is enough for a rinse. I have very short hair though after a trip to a greek hairdresser who cut my hair while watching the tv, I think even she got shocked when she saw the result!
I sail single handed now after my husband died. I have a blog about my experiences, good, bad and some quite funny.
http://yachtswoman.blogspot.se/
Aquarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 09:47   #27

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I love life aboard our sailboat. Part of the joy is experiencing things differently on a boat than in a house. So instead of long showers being a norm, they are a treat. In tropical climates swimming many times a day and hardly ever actually taking a shower is the norm, in a house in Seattle swimming is a treat.
When on our boat in cold climates or in hot sticky climates, helping each other wash with a couple wash cloths and a small pot of fresh water in the galley just before bed is perfect.
I love taking showers on deck in nice weather using our 2 gallon fruit tree sprayer with a shower attachment. I would never think to take a shower on the deck of our house. .

I think the trick to enjoying life on a boat is to embrase it as a different experience then living in a house, but at the same time make it a home you love and want to be in.
Best wishes,
Debbie
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 09:08   #28

I've been living aboard for two years now. I came on this lifestyle completely by accident. I moved to the SF Bay Area with two dogs and on an internship budget. It is soo expensive here I couldn't find anywhere to live where dogs were allowed. After four months and four moves, I gave up in finding permanent housing and sold everything and moved aboard a Columbia 26. It was mine and nobody could take it away from me, and I could have my dogs with me which was a huge priority. I have been told by many people around that they didn't think I would last. So I have two white fluffy dogs, and I work in an office where I dress business casual. They didn't know me and what I was capable of, and neither did I. I thought I could tolerate it for a couple of years to get settled financially and move back on to land when I was ready.

Truth be told, I might make it cruising before many of the naysayers will. A lot of people talk about it, and even the most folk music loving salty women in the marina seem to have no ability to handle the cruising lifestyle. All it takes to be able to handle this is to be able to adapt to change. Things will be different, but not in a bad way. I have always liked doing things myself, like pedicures and facials. These things are possible aboard too! It keeps me feeling clean and feminine, and doesn't cost hardly anything or take up a ton of space. While I am still in a marina and have the luxury of showers, I do shower less and am finding it to be fine. Every other day seems I do well and my curly hair is fine being up in a cute frizzy bun. Once you move aboard it's almost as if your views shift and suddenly not having the right shoes for the outfit doesn't even matter any more. It's so beautiful and peaceful, and totally worth it!
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:34   #29

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

Put 'lady supplies' in sealed plastic bags or in watertight storage containers. Stock up before leaving anywhere! --don't count on waiting till next port.

And do not put anything into the toilet unless you have eaten it first!

-- dad with two daughters.
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men