Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2010, 18:03   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK... use your Irish Citzenship... and your an EU citizen.. residency is then a doddle... all you have to prove is that you have sufficient funds in your account as not to be a burden on the State... you may have to stop in a Marina till its sorted so's you have an Address... then just use it as a mailbox.
Boat and VAT. If you have relatives or friends in the UK register on SSR using their address if they're happy about it... no one checks UK flagged vessels.. at least I've never been checked in over 20 yrs.
If you work freelance...with discretion and don't upset the locals you may never need to pay tax... if your Chartering you'll have to get local safety clearance but thats usually quite simple especially if your resident and contributing to the local economy.
My Knowledge is Portugal and Spain ..... so anchorages are Portimao, Faro/Culatra/Olhau(expanding with new marinas underway, lovely anchorages in the Lagoon), and Taviera on the Algarve.
Spain has closed down most of its old anchorages and also in the Islands... lots of day spots but long term...dodgey.
Economy is bad and lots are selling up... no tourism to speak of with the crap exchange rate as well... most are UK ... also Irish, Dutch and Germans who are not hit by currency exchange.
Set up a web site in Ireland and UK for your charter biz.. base in Faro (Airport close). and you've got an nice easy weeks cruise along the Algarve for short termers and throw in the Guardiana for the longer term trippers, one sides Spain other is Portugal....
Cost of livings cheap, but then average wage is only 800 euros a month so its got to be. But its a great country with the least racist population in the world.
Bon Fortuna...
PS; don't name your boat on here...lololol

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 19:26   #17

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
Hi Sullivan, you mentioned Mallorca. I can tell you that yes, yes, yes, there are many boats there that you can make a living on. Many many mega yachts, too. From what I recall, boat tradesmen were very good at overcharging, too ;-). Guess they were use to the endless budgets of the rich and glam. If you want some of that action, dressing will be important. I wouldn't say long pants etc.; just look smart, clean and respectable.

Although there's dough to be made there, cost of living is high. And as far as free anchorages? I don't know of any but doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe someone else can chime in here...

Not far from Menorca, one of my favourite spots in the world.

Sounds like a great adventure ahead of you!

Cheers,
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, living aboard