Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 20:36   #46

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Rat! Unwanted Liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitB View Post
I ordered the stuff from a place in Maine that specializes in predator urine. I found the place when my chicken coop was overrun with field mice, which then resulted in my garage and outdoor office being inundated with the little sons of $@*^&%$. For mice you use bob cat urine. I placed the cotton pads every 10ft and in less than 48 hrs all mice had headed somewhere else - so now i just add more urine to the pads once a month and i haven't seen a mouse since.
http://www.predatorurine.com/Predato...-about-us.html Read the 'How do we collect it'.

Caitb's experience is pretty solid.

They say it works for birds too, with a plastic owl. I dunno about that, though, because birds have no sense of smell.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 22:11   #47

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitB View Post
To test the urine (which all the able seamen at the dock balked at) I placed 2 traps baited with smoked raw bacon out by the dock box. Inside of te dock box i placed a cotton pad with coyote urine on it - in the morning the bacon was still intact and there were no further rats...

I ordered the stuff from a place in Maine that specializes in predator urine. I found the place when my chicken coop was overrun with field mice, which then resulted in my garage and outdoor office being inundated with the little sons of $@*^&%$. For mice you use bob cat urine. I placed the cotton pads every 10ft and in less than 48 hrs all mice had headed somewhere else - so now i just add more urine to the pads once a month and i haven't seen a mouse since.

Headed back to my boat in January - and no, I'm not a spokesman for predator urine - but because of the urine, i know the boat is rodent free!
Very interesting thanks! Would also be a great "potion" type addition to my oddments locker.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 05:01   #48

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
http://www.predatorurine.com/Predato...-about-us.html Read the 'How do we collect it'.

Caitb's experience is pretty solid.

They say it works for birds too, with a plastic owl. I dunno about that, though, because birds have no sense of smell.
You must not be familiar with buzzards and vultures.
They can smell them some juicy carrion from their loitering altitudes, anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 feet up.
The distinktive odor of a carcass (of any species) wafts up on the thermals (especially in hot weather) and you will see the buzzards form a gyre up there over the delicacy (not the only time they gyre around-- they may do a group ascent gyre in the morning from a popular roost, riding the new thermals for the day, and sometimes they're practically invisible without binocs they get so high).
When they figure the corpse is ripe enough they'll follow the scent down, down, land right on target, and begin the banquet.
I shot a big 'possum near the house once, it ran into nearby brush and I usually bury stuff like that (deep, or the coyotes, 'coons or (?-chupacabra?) will dig it out).
Couldn't find it, but several hot days later a whole turkey buzzard air force was loitering almost overhead (up high); they finally drifted down and commenced the feast 100yds away on the edge of the brush.

I assume many other bird species can smell too.

Y'all keeping that predator urine in bottles aboard: keep it away from the liquor locker, be a shame to mix the little Angostura Bitters bottle up with it.

And as far as eating rats, my French-Canadian-side kinfolk have eaten muskrat for a few hundred years. Granted, a muskrat is more like a beaver or nutria than a rat or mouse. But there's a reason why they're called muskrats, they have a very distinctive odor about them, especially while cooking. An acquired taste for sure (yeah, I ate them too, long ago; tasty critters).
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, wanted