Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2010, 13:20   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
For sure head room is important...I'm also 6-2 and bump my head in places on my 48fter...
I'm a little over 6' and have a 41.5' pilothouse which gives me lots of head room ... and I still find lots of ways to bump my head!

Pilothouses on a sailing vessel do provide for extra rooom and I've seen some nice ones in the 33' range.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 07:46   #17

i said i would go sailing but it would be like a weekend thing or random spur of the moment trip from fl/texas to california so a houseboat or raft would be impractical.

i do think the cc look a bit nicer. however i dont think ill be getting 1 due to less deck space was just wanting to know some pro's vs cons
vidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 08:42   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidar View Post
.......random spur of the moment trip from fl/texas to california.........
I don't believe people on boats would consider this statement serious. If this is a real motive; then, you might best be shopping for a Winnebago!
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 10:29   #19

30ft CC

Vidar,

Get on the web and search for S2 30 Center cockpit. Take a look at the layout and photos of the interior. This is the best I've seen for a smaller center cockpit. You pass through a side hall way to get to the cabin in back. They even have a short tub/shower on these. This is not in production anymore but there are a few good ones on the market. They even sail well. Take note these were prone to deck leaks.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 22:48   #20

well not to not be taken seriously they will probably be planned trips to see family and such.... or going for weekend cruising/fishing. other than that i will just be using it as a livaboard but it does need to be able to sail around south america and back so i can get to where i wanna go. will be doing that for fun as when i do plan trips around s/a i want to stop in brazil and places like that :P but would just a regular boat like a 30 hunter work?
Old 24-02-2010, 09:31   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think when it was suggested you wouldn't be taken seriously it was because of the "random spur of the moment". Trips like that are best planned since it isn't a trivial undertaking. At the very least you'll want to research the winds and currents, not to mention legal requirements for areas you're transiting. One of the more dangerous undertakings is to sail around Tierra del Fiego.
Old 24-02-2010, 11:17   #22

yea... ive been researching and dubbo what kinda boat would be my best livaboard.
i know the dangers and that kinda is a reason i wanna do it that way... and just wanting to know if a cc would be a better boat fo rfishing and mmoving around than like a hunter 30
Old 24-02-2010, 12:12   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't find sailboats that great for fishing in the waters around here ... I usually get out the tender. I live aboard a 41.5 ft pilothouse and wouldn't want to try either boat you're looking at but people do. My neighbor has a 37 ft. C&C and it's an excellent sailboat but again I wouldn't want to live aboard for any extended time. YMMV.
Old 27-02-2010, 20:08   #24

yea i noticed most people tend to like around the 40ft range but im solo most of the time.. rarely would i be out with anyone else so i figure a 28-35fter would be my best bet. and all i really need is a marina with internet and im happy but i do love to fish so was hoping i would be able to get some advice on something that would come close to accomodating me but yea im not holding my breath ill research somemore and when i find something i like ill make it accomodate me or just have it redone to suit my needs.

but basework is what im interested in looked at some pilot houses and they look like they have 0 deckspace.
Old 27-02-2010, 20:52   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think it depends on whether it was built as a pilothouse or the ph was added. I have a lot deckspace but my was built as a ph.

In Pacific Northwest where I'm based there's a lot of current, islands and reefs and fishing from the sailboat means watching depth and location very closely, making sure I'm not drifting into trouble. The tender on the other hand takes me comfortably into ares where I want to be and I can troll at a nice slow speed. If I'm going longer distances I anchor nearby and drop the tender.

If you are in an area where you can fish without that constraint the sailboat might do it. Look at lots of boats and spend as much time as ypu can hanging out down below to get a feel for how it might feel to live on the boat.