Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 08:26   #1

Remodeling Question

Newbie here, been trolling the site for a couple of weeks and got some answers but have more. First off, I'm no sailor, I've been on the water since I was 6 mo's old but all power boats. I'm tired of the speed/pounding and ready for slow and steady.

I'm looking for a blue water sailor (Alberg, Cape Dory, Bristol, Bayfield, basically Atom Voyages list.) 25-30ft. Now for the question, of the boats on Atom's list which provides the most flexibility in the cabin for modifications?

I plan on living on the boat single with the occasional sleep over, wink, wink, and want to remodel to my specific needs. I'm a big guy, XXXL shirt and 5'10" with a bad back. So Head and birth need to be easy in/out. Hence the easy of remodeling question.

What will I be doing? Live aboard obviously, but my basic plan is this.
  • Year 1 - Take sailing lessons remodel boat and sail on local lakes in upper east TN.
  • Year 2 - Move to Oriental, NC and sail the sounds and ICW but staying relatively close to Oriental.
  • Year 3 - Sail the ICW
  • Year 4 - Circumnavigate the Gulf
  • Year 5 - Great Loop
  • Beyond who knows, the world.
A little about my plans for the boat. Wind, Solar and hydro generators. Diesel engine (for now, electric maybe later). Shower, AC, freezer, ice box, propane stove, wireless internet.

That's all I can think of right now. Questions, thoughts?
ke4mkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 08:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Remodeling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4mkl View Post
Newbie here, been trolling the site for a couple of weeks and got some answers but have more. First off, I'm no sailor, I've been on the water since I was 6 mo's old but all power boats. I'm tired of the speed/pounding and ready for slow and steady.

I'm looking for a blue water sailor (Alberg, Cape Dory, Bristol, Bayfield, basically Atom Voyages list.) 25-30ft. Now for the question, of the boats on Atom's list which provides the most flexibility in the cabin for modifications?

I plan on living on the boat single with the occasional sleep over, wink, wink, and want to remodel to my specific needs. I'm a big guy, XXXL shirt and 5'10" with a bad back. So Head and birth need to be easy in/out. Hence the easy of remodeling question.

What will I be doing? Live aboard obviously, but my basic plan is this.
  • Year 1 - Take sailing lessons remodel boat and sail on local lakes in upper east TN.
  • Year 2 - Move to Oriental, NC and sail the sounds and ICW but staying relatively close to Oriental.
  • Year 3 - Sail the ICW
  • Year 4 - Circumnavigate the Gulf
  • Year 5 - Great Loop
  • Beyond who knows, the world.
A little about my plans for the boat. Wind, Solar and hydro generators. Diesel engine (for now, electric maybe later). Shower, AC, freezer, ice box, propane stove, wireless internet.

That's all I can think of right now. Questions, thoughts?
I have a friend that bought a Hunter and he is a big ol boy and he has a big problem going below..I would look for one with the widest companion way if you are a big ol fellow like my friend Robert..I have seen him stuck in the head!He had to drop everything he had in his arms and then re-adjust to get out ...I laughed until I realized it was a "big problem" for him and that he took it as a serious problem..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 09:03   #3

Buy as much beam as you can. Older designs are narrower and heel quickly. If you're a "big old boy", then just sitting on the setee on one side of a narrower design may force you to be living at an angle! The beamier boat may have a wider companionway too. A 30 footer is much nicer for live aboard, and they are pretty reasonably priced now days. For your stated places, something like an Almand 30 etc would be real roomy and shallow draft., albeit not a great sailor to windward... if that's your thing...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 09:20   #4

Boat: Ericson 32-2

My Ericson 32 has a 36" wide hatch and 6'2" headroom. Tri-axle grid with wood components make altering the interior easier than most glass boats. Small hanging locker, but lots of stowage space ( especially the galley).
Steve A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 10:44   #5

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

For easy access in and out of a head, I was thinking a Bayfield 29 might work. The head is in the forward part of the boat which would mean the main sleeping accomodations may be a quarterberth or salon. Yacht World has some with pictures that you could see how the head is located at the bow.

Good Luck
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 11:14   #6

Thanks for the comments. I like the Bayfield 29 and is on my list of likes. The only concern is sleeping birth. The Allmand is nice too, is it good for cruising to the Bahamas and further south? The Erricson is just a little to deep a draft, trying to keep it 4' and under.

What about the Hunter 31-32s? They look to have a big birth and head but would they be good to take to the Bahamas?

The search goes on.
Old 25-10-2012, 11:39   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Hunter 37 cutter can be had in a 4 foot shoal draft.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 11:55   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4mkl View Post

What about the Hunter 31-32s? They look to have a big birth and head but would they be good to take to the Bahamas?

yes!
Old 25-10-2012, 11:55   #9

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Used power boats are cheap nowadays. It's easier to get into and get around in their interiors, and they might even be better suited for doing a Great Loop.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:03   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
Used power boats are cheap nowadays. It's easier to get into and get around in their interiors, and they might even be better suited for doing a Great Loop.

Well there's a cabin cruiser in my mooring field and the owner is a BIG guy. Everytime the launch takes him out and I watch him get onto the boat it scares the crap out on me. He steps onto this little 6" edge and the boat heels way over while he catches his breath to crab walk into the cockpit. I can not even image what it would be like if he had to work his way to the bow.
Old 25-10-2012, 12:18   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Don't bother with the boats made for skinny Europeans.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:22   #12

Boat: Allures 44

If I were living aboard and contemplating the coastal / inland sailing that you describe, I would skip the blue water boats and go for something like a Nonsuch 30. You'll get far more living and storage space. The cockpit is roomy. It's easy to sail and faster than the boats on your list on most points of sail. I wouldn't take the wishbone rig on long-distance, blue water passages, but for the sailing you describe it's ideal.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:32   #13

Boat: Ohlson 38

My 28 footer has a liner which has been hugely problematic during my remodel.

Also, I'm 5'9 and wear a medium shirt and I feel constricted in the head and I assure you that you would not be able to bend over to wash your feet. I can't imagine an XXXL shirt moving around comfortably, much less frolicking in the vberth.

I lied. I've gained weight this year and I wear a large shirt. But still...my suggestion would be to consider a slightly larger boat.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 15:31   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Basically you need a bigger boat.

Whilst on a boat you can move anything (except the bulkheads - albeit not impossible to move those, if you know what you are doing.....which in practice means leave well alone!).......what you will lose is stuff that is useful (that space for your butt has to come from somewhere)........plus throw in that if you create something out of the mainstream you knock the crap out of resale (as well as the time / money spent on the changes).........buy a bigger boat.

FWIW, I have a mate who sounds pretty much like you - me is on 30'........he really fills the space up - to be honest their are some things I am not happy for him to simply lean against, and my boat is built like a brick sh#thouse.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 16:00   #15

Lot's of great advice and I'm getting the point. I need a to look for a bigger boat. So what would be a good newbie, 32+ shoal draft sailboat, with a mast that can be lowered relatively easily.

I would loose some weight but my problem is I'm broad through the shoulders. My butt fits fine I just have to sit sideways. Now I don't want to have tell what problems that causes, lol.