Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2015, 11:04   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Requirements for Canadians going on a 2year sabatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
That begs the question - how do they know you have been away? Are you supposed to go in and tell them? I think not, and who would do that?

If you are young and in good health, why bother - just wait the 3 months, emergencies are covered anyway.

Now suppose you don't know about this rule, and a week after you return you use the system. I'll bet that nothing will happen to you.

Just saying.
Most likely you are right. Most likely you won't need to see a doctor or have a medical emergency while you are away...and OHIP (or BCHIP) won't even notice that you left.

But what if?

What if you are in an accident and need hospitalization?
What if your appendix explodes and you need surgery?
What if you get conked on the head with the boom?
What if you need a med evac flight to get you home?

Buying health insurance is mitigating risk. My OHIP covers very little while out of the country. There are very low limits on what OHIP will pay to outside agencies...even out of province! We are spoiled here in canada...we just go to a doctor or hospital and flash our card. But outside canada, you really are on your own. Even my kids are required to purchase 3rd party health insurance to go on school trips to the USA...or they aren't allowed to go.

Please don't misunderstand, I agree with you...I have no intention of telling OHIP about my travel plans...but if I need a hospital, I want to know it won't bankrupt me.

1 year of coverage is about $25 for each of my kids.

I paid $165 for full coverage (about 3 months) when I crossed the atlantic. A full year was only a few dollars more.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 11:06   #17

Quote:
Bahamas is another story. Being closest to the US and with frequent visits from Sports Fishing Vessels they require $300/3 mo if you fish or not and they are relentless in pursuit of the fee.
Not true.

The Cruising Permit is issued for 6 months but you can ask for 12 months when you enter (and you normally get 12 months than). $150,- up to 30ft, $300,- if longer.
Immigration will give 'the crew' between 30-180 days (most common seems to be 90 days), not too difficult (and no cost) to get it prolonged.

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 11:15   #18

As a canadian, you should take advantage of the fact that you can visit cuba. I have read many good things about sailing cuba...low prices, good food, and..well...not so many americans
Old 18-06-2015, 11:25   #19

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
That begs the question - how do they know you have been away? Are you supposed to go in and tell them? I think not, and who would do that?

Just saying.
While this used to be true, things have changed in the last 3 months. If your exit flight has a stop in the US, then you will be flagged. It was all over the news recently that this is one area they are watching closely with the "data" sharing between USA and Canada immigration.

If you exit flight lands elsewhere, then I agree %100. They have no idea you left or when you came back.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 11:32   #20

Quote:

If you are young and in good health, why bother - just wait the 3 months, emergencies are covered anyway.

Now suppose you don't know about this rule, and a week after you return you use the system. I'll bet that nothing will happen to you.

Just saying.
I was going to say the same thing. When it comes to govt, give only what's asked. Unless doctors start checking your Passport, I wouldnt worry much! I've found when it comes to customs/immigration etc being "dumb and confused" is the best policy....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 12:03   #21

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Most likely you are right. Most likely you won't need to see a doctor or have a medical emergency while you are away...and OHIP (or BCHIP) won't even notice that you left.

But what if?

Buying health insurance is mitigating risk. My OHIP covers very little while out of the country. There are very low limits on what OHIP will pay to outside agencies...even out of province! We are spoiled here in canada...we just go to a doctor or hospital and flash our card. But outside canada, you really are on your own. Even my kids are required to purchase 3rd party health insurance to go on school trips to the USA...or they aren't allowed to go.

Please don't misunderstand, I agree with you...I have no intention of telling OHIP about my travel plans...but if I need a hospital, I want to know it won't bankrupt me.

I paid $165 for full coverage (about 3 months) when I crossed the atlantic. A full year was only a few dollars more.

When I lived in Australia for a few years I initially took out Medical Insurance in Australia. Then I switched to a Canadian company at a much lower cost. Canadian Companies are aware of the help & contribution available from our governments, Australians were not.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 12:17   #22

Quote:

But what if?

Yes, another question entirely about having good coverage while gone I suppose. Travelers insurance is an option maybe? Someone once mentioned it is cheap as it is sold primarily to people going on vacations. Investigating the details might be worth it.
We once looked into the air Medivac insurance and were surprised how reasonable it was at that time..... as opposed to a $20k airlift bill!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 18:03   #23

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
While this used to be true, things have changed in the last 3 months. If your exit flight has a stop in the US, then you will be flagged. It was all over the news recently that this is one area they are watching closely with the "data" sharing between USA and Canada immigration.

If you exit flight lands elsewhere, then I agree %100. They have no idea you left or when you came back.
But we are sailors, we should leave by boat....

You are correct. My worry is when they start crossing medical and immigration information... it scares me and this will be an entire different can of worms, but I digress.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 19:17   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Interesting discussion... I left Canada in the early eighties, became a U.S./Canadian dual citizen about 15 years ago and have US medical coverage. I used to travel on my Canadian passport but in the last 10 years or so have used my US Passport for travel, even to the UK and Australia. My kids tried it in the U.S. for a couple of years but got homesick and moved back. They travel to Cuba regularly for cheap vacations.
I ran my own delivery business on the west coast for many years and am now retired and enjoying life in the high Sierra.
As long as you avoid the silly politics down here and live in a very rural area, all is good. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 18:36   #25
LNL

Boat: still a waterfront lot
Requirements for Canadians going on a 2year sabatical

My MasterCard world elite offers out of Canada travel medical insurance. We get it for a full year just in case we do short trips across the border. I think flying home would cost more than just seeing a Dr. In the Caribbean. Thank you for the answers to my questions, it clears it up a lot for me. Looking forward to my trek!.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
LNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:08   #26

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:

But what if?

Hello Hamburking,

I've been away from this thread for awhile but I see your discussion of emergency health care insurance, and the cost is quite low. Do you have a name of the insurance provider? I'd like to look into it if I could.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:50   #27

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darb View Post
Hello Hamburking,

I've been away from this thread for awhile but I see your discussion of emergency health care insurance, and the cost is quite low. Do you have a name of the insurance provider? I'd like to look into it if I could.
It all depends on your age and health history. Once you get up there or have had recent health problems the costs increase significantly. For example if you are 76 and in perfect health the cost for six months is about $2000 or higher.

As for coverage through premium credit cards, check the fine print! (LNL's post) Most of them have an age limit over which you are not covered.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darb View Post
Hello Hamburking,

I think I went with Blue Cross.

I also checked with my premium credit cards, and they were close, but more.

And like others have said, the premium is mostly based on age.

I didn't have any health issues on my atlantic crossing, so never found out if the coverage was any good....thats not a bad thing I guess. However, my teeth really hurt by the time we got to Antigua. I wasn't about to risk my teeth with an unknown dentist, and waited a few days till I got home to Canada. Not sure if dental was covered. Thats definitely a question I would ask now.

Tags
cal, men, Saba