Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 06:08   #316

Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Just a note that there is now no anchoring in the Napa River in the Mare Island Strait. I was asked to leave one night at 9:30 last summer. You also can not anchor in the bay by Benicia anymore or so I was informed one evening by the Salano marine Police.

Oakland Estuary, well the oakland police will ask you to leave. There is a spot over by brickward cove for a boat to anchor in the rare east winds.

Paradise cove is lovely, except for the constant ferry wakes from 5AM onward. Though they stop at 9PM. Parts of angel island on the east side has a fouled bottom, and easy to loose an anchor.

Aquatic Park sailboats can anchor for a few days. Power boats are prohibited.

No question there are tons of places to anchor in the delta. Fewer places to buy grocery's there, though I enjoy it lots. Very nice. Many folks anchor out in the Delta. Some there for years. Not a problem.

Russian River, LOL, That was a solid above sea level bar there till three weeks ago. When the rains washed it away. Kayaks might enter in on calm weather. Heck a kayaker died there a few weeks ago. No sailboat could get past the bar. Sure in calm weather there are tons of places to drop the hook along the coast. But that can change rather quickly and we know it does. Not really doable now is it.

There are boats anchored in Tomales Bay. The bar needs to be crossed in the early morning before the winds come up. It's a cool foggy place with again, no grocerys. Folks also need to eat.

Yes there are road stead anchorages up and down the coast, though for the liveaboard, getting groceries, dumping trash, filling water, etc or even going to work or a cup of coffee might be a bit tough. Plus for the poor sod with a powerboat and 20 dollars in his or her pocket, well their not going very far.

These guys are not cruisers. Most are older, retired or with health issues.

Marina's will turn away wood boats, which many in the bay are. So for them, popping into a marina even if they had the money for it, really isn't an option.

I'm all for removing boats people are not living on and are abandoned. But the question is where will the people on the boats they call home go to. Should we just hand out cardboard boxes and happy meals. I don't think so.

Pity I did not win the power ball tonight. I would have purchased new (ok good used) boats for all the anchorouts, for them to live on and hauled the old boats away. I would have built several homeless shelters in SF too. But nope, not happening.

Alas, they will have to get along without my help for now. That's what I would have done. What would you do. What can we all do to help.
You've covered all of the bases pretty well. It's not just about keeping moving. It's about how to keep moving and satisfy your worldly needs, maintain your humanity and avoid loneliness... Much more.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 06:26   #317
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
There's only one Wrong...
Thank God.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 07:41   #318
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Thank God.
Old 14-01-2016, 09:30   #319
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Sailorchic, I guess I'm not as picky as you about where I anchor With as many anchoring concerns as you have, one might just never go anywhere.

Just a note that there is now no anchoring in the Napa River in the Mare Island Strait. I was asked to leave one night at 9:30 last summer. You also can not anchor in the bay by Benicia anymore or so I was informed one evening by the Salano marine Police.

Good thing I had no idea about this because we anchored successfully in the Mare Island Strait about a month ago, no problem. We do so coming and going from the Delta sometimes. I image one can't stay for weeks but that's never our intent. Same with anchoring around Benicia. I'd forgotten there are two different Brickyard Cove locations -- one across from Benicia that we have anchored in a couple times. The Amtrak trains going by are a bit noisy indeed. The other is the Richmond Brickyard Cove--just outside it there's a spot.

Oakland Estuary, well the oakland police will ask you to leave. There is a spot over by brickward cove for a boat to anchor in the rare east winds.

Paradise cove is lovely, except for the constant ferry wakes from 5AM onward. Though they stop at 9PM. Parts of angel island on the east side has a fouled bottom, and easy to loose an anchor.

Aquatic Park sailboats can anchor for a few days. Power boats are prohibited.

Sorry I don't know, personally, about the Oakland Estuary since it's shallow enough that we've not done it -- others have though and for 72 hrs or less one can anchor just about anywhere I'm told. Again that pesky 72 hrs means that people do have to be willing to move their boats. Paradise Cove--we've used that spot for a few days at a time. If someone is so picky about the ferry wakes, I guess they might reconsider anchoring as a lifestyle or move out of the Bay for anchoring.

Right, Aquatic Park is for sailboats only and we enjoy the spot quite frequently. I sincerely believe anyone on a budget shouldn't seriously consider living on a powerboat and since folks on a budget seem to be the thrust of your posts, I'd think you'd agree that sailboats are a more affordable means of transportation than power boats. I am personally talking, on Cruisers Forum, about options for boats in transit not boat-dwelling and squatting in anchorages forever.

No question there are tons of places to anchor in the delta. Fewer places to buy grocery's there, though I enjoy it lots. Very nice. Many folks anchor out in the Delta. Some there for years. Not a problem.

It's true, unfortunately, that some of the very best anchoring spots in the Delta are permanently taken up by squatters. The county sheriffs are beginning the process of getting rid of those squatters though. I note that there are a ton of very inexpensive marinas in the Delta. While they often don't allow liveaboards, you could move indefinitely from one marina to another and spend just a few hundred dollars a month while having the comforts of a slip and shorepower. For a power boater this would be much more affordable than moving their boat with sufficient frequency.

Russian River, LOL, That was a solid above sea level bar there till three weeks ago. When the rains washed it away. Kayaks might enter in on calm weather. Heck a kayaker died there a few weeks ago. No sailboat could get past the bar. Sure in calm weather there are tons of places to drop the hook along the coast. But that can change rather quickly and we know it does. Not really doable now is it.

I didn't mean IN the Russian River, I meant near the mouth of the Russian River. I have not personally anchored there but a friend with 40' sailboat and 6' keel frequently does. Same guy who anchors right outside of Bodega Bay frequently.

There are boats anchored in Tomales Bay. The bar needs to be crossed in the early morning before the winds come up. It's a cool foggy place with again, no grocerys. Folks also need to eat.

As cruisers, we typically go a few weeks to a month at a time w/o provisioning. I suspect it is similar for others who travel with their boats. I'm not suggesting someone park their boat in Tomales Bay indefinitely but rather that they visit Tomales Bay as part of their travels. One could go out the Gate do a round-robin of Drake's Bay, Tomales Bay, visit Bodega Bay (slip) to do a bit of shopping, then go up the coast or down it all depending on weather and where they want to be next.

Yes there are road stead anchorages up and down the coast, though for the liveaboard, getting groceries, dumping trash, filling water, etc or even going to work or a cup of coffee might be a bit tough. Plus for the poor sod with a powerboat and 20 dollars in his or her pocket, well their not going very far.

Nobody ever said a life cruising/traveling/living aboard was easy. Having continually transited the west coast from San Diego to Alaska and back and forth, up and down, yeah, you're right, all the necessary things are harder to do. And we work remotely using the internet but if one had to physically go to work, that likely means they're a "local", using the boat as housing, and not really within the scope defined by the Public Trust Doctrine for use of these anchorages anyway. That poor sod with the powerboat and no money would be best off selling or giving away the liability of that powerboat and finding another land-based lifestyle more affordable. About the cup of coffee? As cruisers mindful of our budget, we very rarely eat out and almost never buy a cup of coffee. We make ours at home as it is more affordable.

These guys are not cruisers. Most are older, retired or with health issues.

If they're not cruisers, then they're using the boat as housing and don't fit the usage requirements of the anchorages. If they manage to get away with it somewhere, it may not be forever. There are many cruisers who are older, retired, and/or with health issues. Some of my favorite cruisers fit that description. It's not an excuse to ignore the requirements for use of the anchorages. I will say that here in the Bay area, there is still alot of HUD assisting housing available for people with disability, and/or on fixed incomes. Lots. These same squatters, if elderly or on disability and/or other fixed income, should be encouraged to get themselves onto wait lists for such housing throughout the Bay area. Some of the housing is topnotch and in very good locations. I've noticed you didn't mention the veterans this go around--there are several really good VA homes/housing options as well.

Marina's will turn away wood boats, which many in the bay are. So for them, popping into a marina even if they had the money for it, really isn't an option.

I sail an 85 year old wood boat and don't have problems popping into a Bay area marina or YC. Perhaps that is because I have liability insurance. If the wood boat can't obtain liability insurance because it's not in good enough condition to be insured, that is another reason to get rid of the boat, get another, and/or more ashore. Just like it's squatters on hunks of junk who cause problem for all mariners wishing to anchor, it's people who let their wood boats fall into significant disrepair (but keep using them) who have created a problem for ALL wood boat owners. A properly maintained wood boat is not affordable for most people so shouldn't be high on the list for someone wishing to liveaboard on a tight budget.

I'm all for removing boats people are not living on and are abandoned. But the question is where will the people on the boats they call home go to. Should we just hand out cardboard boxes and happy meals. I don't think so.

The navigable waterways and tidelands in a heavily populated area like the SF Bay area are simply not the primary go-to place for dealing with housing needs for people on no income or fixed incomes. These waterways are intended for Public Trust uses and housing of local people isn't one of those uses. If someone wishes to exist without working in a particular society or without using existing housing assistance and social programs for their survival, it might be better for that someone to leave heavily populated areas entirely.

Pity I did not win the power ball tonight. I would have purchased new (ok good used) boats for all the anchorouts, for them to live on and hauled the old boats away. I would have built several homeless shelters in SF too. But nope, not happening.

Alas, they will have to get along without my help for now. That's what I would have done. What would you do. What can we all do to help.

What would I do?

On a cruising forum, I certainly would not be advocating for making cruising even harder by displacing cruisers with squatters. That seems to be what you're advocating. Are you? Rather than waxing on about what you'd do with your lottery winnings (to help others) you might consider writing to your local and state elected officials about the specifics of affordable housing (on the LAND) for people in the high cost of living areas around the SF Bay.

What I do right now? I do write to legislators in my home state (not CA) as well as boating advocacy groups like BoatUS when something is happening that impacts me and other boaters. Many things I do advocate are towards the goal of keeping cruising in the United States affordable for cruisers.

1. Encourage cruisers who are free to move their boats (without local jobs, etc) to actually get off their hind ends and go cruising--see the world away from the Bay.
2. Discourage anyone from purchasing a boat to be used as low cost housing since a properly maintained boat is anything but low cost and marinas, anchorages, and other amenities that support vessels used in navigation are not intended to be taken advantage of for simply housing.
3. In California, share information about the Public Trust Doctrine of California and what that means for cruisers as well as people who are improperly using the anchorages for their housing location.

About the squatters who need housing somewhere not in the navigable waterways? What can we all do to help? Well--contact the elected officials (as mentioned) because if there is ever a hope of local housing assistance beyond the present HUD housing programs and local housing programs in existence now, people have to push, push, push for moare. Also, make your voice heard when new housing projects are planned to go in that do not include an affordable housing component. Right now, in the Bay area, local governments are side-stepping the affordable housing requirements of the State of California. If you are a California resident and voter, it is your civic duty to push your elected officials at local and state level to stop ignoring the need for affordable housing. If you don't work, volunteer some time to help nonprofits or advocacy groups for affordable housing and/or the homeless. Your advocacy here on this boating forum is for housing not boating and that is why I'm suggesting this to you personally. Make your advocacy statements where it can do some good for HOUSING of Californians. That's not here on this forum.

What else? The Bay area isn't the be-all-end-all wonderful place for someone to live if they're not going to participate in the society there. By participation, I mean work, volunteer, and be part of the community. There are places where it is much easier to exist without being bothered by the requirements of the locals and without having a negative impact on the lives of others.
Old 14-01-2016, 09:41   #320
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Oakland Estuary, well the oakland police will ask you to leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Sorry I don't know, personally, about the Oakland Estuary since it's shallow enough that we've not done it -- others have though and for 72 hrs or less one can anchor just about anywhere I'm told.
Anybody who claims the Oakland police will move you along if you anchor in the Estuary has obviously spent very little time on the Estuary.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:53   #321
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Anybody who claims the Oakland police will move you along if you anchor in the Estuary has obviously spent very little time on the Estuary.
That was my thought but I have no experience there. I know I saw things in the news a few years back about similar anchor-out problems to Richardson Bay but don't know what has happened with it all.

Honestly there are so very MANY places to anchor around the Bay that if someone is not working locally (e.g. they're a cruiser) I'm not sure how anyone can claim there are not enough places to anchor. Richardson Bay itself (the topic of this thread) is a wonderful resource for cruisers because of the easy access to amenities ashore. Having it clogged up with empty junker boats and squatters is just wrong, IMO, and I look forward to that change. I note, we've been in and out of the Bay area many times since 2009 and never had the time to stop and anchor in Richardson Bay until 2015 and we purposefully spent almost 2 months there just to get a feel of it/understanding of the issues and concerns. There are lots of other places to be, besides Richardson Bay, if one is a cruiser and not a local who is just using it for housing.
Old 14-01-2016, 09:54   #322
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Nice post SC. Factual, to the point. Well stated.
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:20   #323
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
I note, we've been in and out of the Bay area many times since 2009 and never had the time to stop and anchor in Richardson Bay until 2015 and we purposefully spent almost 2 months there just to get a feel of it/understanding of the issues and concerns. There are lots of other places to be, besides Richardson Bay, if one is a cruiser and not a local who is just using it for housing.
Good lord you were breaking the law by living aboard for more then 30 days in Richardson Bay. I'm shocked.... Why that's squatting. Gee, It only took a few days for me to understand the issues there. After three days in Richardson Bay, I've had my fill of the place.

BTW, I do anchor all over the place and have never anchored for even 2 weeks in a single location. But places that can hold even 20 boats and have safe secure dindgy docks are few and far between. But you know that.

Many of the RB anchor outs do work a shore. Others like Wrong are retired, living on a very fix pension. Myself, I have 2 years before I can retire and live of the largeness that is social security. I may be the only person, who looks at SS as a windfall. I live on an average ~$600/month and have since the great recession. So SS will be huge step up.

I use to anchor in the Mare Island straits when returning from the delta for many many years. Generally just over night. I was told to move along by the CG at 9:30 PM back in July or I would be given a ticket. The Salano marine patrol also confirmed that you could not anchor there anymore or in front of Benicia. The Salano boys said I could moor at the single mooring out in front of Benicia for up to 4 days. But I would not trust that mooring at all.

Myself I don't think cruisers have first dibs for anchorages. It should be open for all, even shockingly enough non-cruisers. After all, to the land living folk, a cruiser is also a squatter, just for a shorter duration. Really anchoring in Richardson bay for cruisers is not a problem. There are tons of space to anchor. As you found out.

As to affordable housing, What is affordable for homeless people. Not a lot. Nor do most folks what a half way house or shelter in their neighborhood. Writing to the government, does as much good as writing to Santa.

I will never complain about the anchor outs or squatters. I would not call them squatter. I call them people, equal to life as anyone else. They need to be afforded some dignity to have a bed and roof over their head. That some use boats that cost the city and or state nothing for housing, I don't have a problem with.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:22   #324

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
Apologies. I’ve had requests to repost these 12/31/15 photos with Richardson Bay identifiers/tags so that Google can identify and include them in search results.
I'm having a problem with your deliberate and vindictive constant posting of these vessels. You've made your point.
Why would anyone request these pictures when they can go to one of your many earlier posts of these pictures. We know where you stand on the issue...fine! Let go already. Do you think badgering everyone else here is going to "win" you in some sort of self-absorbed poll?
Frankly, I could care less one way or another. They're not bothering me. I'm sure they pollute. But I don't see any city controlling their storm drains. I have to watch used condoms and syringes float by after a rain storm. I call them until I'm blue in the face. Oh wait...you don't have a view of the estuary. So you don't have see it...just the liveaboards from your room with a view.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:50   #325
Marine Service Provider

Good lord you were breaking the law by living aboard for more then 30 days in Richardson Bay. I'm shocked.... Why that's squatting. Gee, It only took a few days for me to understand the issues there. After three days in Richardson Bay, I've had my fill of the place.

We anchored a couple different times/locations to tally that up. Though we're too big for most moorings, we did immediately call up the RBRA to get an anchoring permit and to ask about moorings (that's when we discovered there were only a handful (like 5?) public moorings and people (locals like Wrong) are always on them so they're not an option for visitors. We expected the RBRA to tell us we had 30 days max but they did not do so. Squatting--I reserve that term for people who don't ask/get permission, don't care if they're impacting others, and/or who fight to stay put when the authorities say they should be leaving.

BTW, I do anchor all over the place and have never anchored for even 2 weeks in a single location. But places that can hold even 20 boats and have safe secure dindgy docks are few and far between. But you know that.

We are two people, my husband and I, that gives us a huge amount more flexibility of where we go--one of us can drop the other off at shore and return to the boat for example. Also, we can anchor in less than ideal locations/conditions (poor holding or lee shore) because we just keep one of us aboard the boat and/or doing anchor active watch all night.

Many of the RB anchor outs do work a shore.

Then, finding local housing or getting into a marina is an appropriate action. We are doing so this year, 2016, and just moved into a Bay area marina for the duration. Liveaboard slips are hard to come by so we, and others, may expect to move from marina to marina on extended stay permission if not in land-based housing or not around long enough to get a liveaboard slip. In our case, we're looking for a studio apartment so we can leave the boat in one place and do some work on the boat (w/o all our stuff in the way) while we're working ashore.

Others like Wrong are retired, living on a very fix pension. Myself, I have 2 years before I can retire and live of the largeness that is social security. I may be the only person, who looks at SS as a windfall. I live on an average ~$600/month and have since the great recession. So SS will be huge step up.

If someone's retired and on a very fixed pension, the Bay area is NOT the place to be. Wrong and others like him (with many experiences of living in many places so not afraid to leave their local familiar neighborhood) would be much better served by living on shore elsewhere or traveling with their boat.

I use to anchor in the Mare Island straits when returning from the delta for many many years. Generally just over night. I was told to move along by the CG at 9:30 PM back in July or I would be given a ticket. The Salano marine patrol also confirmed that you could not anchor there anymore or in front of Benicia. The Salano boys said I could moor at the single mooring out in front of Benicia for up to 4 days. But I would not trust that mooring at all.

We don't like the anchorage directly in front of Benicia so have not ever used it. We, instead, have anchored across from it and towards the Bay a bit or same side but also towards the Bay near a point (though it gets shallow in there fast).

Suggest that you, or anyone else who is told they cannot anchor, take a look at the charts, the Coast Pilot, and the Notices to Mariners for the area. If none of them note an anchoring restriction, question its existence. The RBRA restrictions are noted in the Coast Pilot as I recall (for example). Most places around the Bay and Delta one can anchor outside the marked channel. I had heard anchoring was restricted in the Mare Island Strait itself but I heard that in 2010 and we've anchored there many, many times since then. We always anchor directly outside the Vallejo Yacht Club because we don't fit into their marina and we go there to the club from time to time when we've been in the area.

Myself I don't think cruisers have first dibs for anchorages. It should be open for all, even shockingly enough non-cruisers. After all, to the land living folk, a cruiser is also a squatter, just for a shorter duration. Really anchoring in Richardson bay for cruisers is not a problem. There are tons of space to anchor. As you found out.

I agree cruisers don't have first dibs. Public Trust Uses have ALL dibs on the navigable waterways and tidelands. Cruisers are a Public Trust use (as are recreational boaters racing, anchoring away from their home marina, day visitors, kayaks...) whereas local housing is not.

No, there isn't tons of space for cruising boats or other vessels to anchor. The deeper parts of the RB are unfortunately full of derelict or other boats fitting the description of abandoned, hoarded by pickers, or used as local housing and these displace larger boats or deeper draft vessels from the protected waters of Richardson Bay. In the very shallow areas way back in the RB (where only a 3'-4' draft boat would stay out of the mud through all tides) there is space but that is "visual" space unless one is on a shallow drafted boat. Many of the permanent boats in the deeper parts of RB are shallow draft and could go there though--they choose not to do so and instead park permanently in the deep waters. There are numerous private moorings (that I understand were never permitted but are there anyway and really may be described as squatters as such) that also displace boaters from using the waterways.

As to affordable housing, What is affordable for homeless people. Not a lot. Nor do most folks what a half way house or shelter in their neighborhood. Writing to the government, does as much good as writing to Santa.

Writing your opinions here does not help low income people find affordable housing. You could choose to support the local OWS movement (they are very into lobbying for affordable housing) if you don't want to try and lobby yourself for your interests with the government. Just ignoring your civic duty isn't a reasonable thing to do if you care so much about this issue.

I will never complain about the anchor outs or squatters. I would not call them squatter. I call them people, equal to life as anyone else. They need to be afforded some dignity to have a bed and roof over their head. That some use boats that cost the city and or state nothing for housing, I don't have a problem with.

You speak of the people who anchor out as "They" and do not include yourself as part of "them" even as you seem to have some affinity and knowledge of "them" and you spend a lot of time "anchored out." Why are you not one of "them?" Probably because you consider yourself a boater and you're engaging in Public Trust use of the waterways--right? Your previous writing makes me think you feel sorry for these folks and I question whether you actually respect any of them but rather you just have some sympathy for an idealized image of "them" you've got in your mind and you're projecting to us here. I, personally, do have respect for all people but I refuse to automatically group together everyone squatting in RB as a group of people who need some special and unavailable help they're not getting from an inadequate government. That is disrespectful of too many of them. Some of "them" are simply choosing to squat because they can. I have friends who are most definitely squatters and I have friends, low income, who choose to live in cars and other unorthodox settings. I respect those friends in several ways but I don't respect their squatting choices, in most cases, because their actions negatively impact too many other people.

I agree that "they" should be treated just as all others are treated in the particular society they chose to live in. These particular squatters are choosing to live in Marin county. The boats that sink in RB do cost the tax payers, the city, and the state as well as the environment and other boaters. Where was I reading that it costs about $20K on average to remove a boat and that's BEFORE it sinks? Much more cost to society and environment afterwards. About treating everyone in a society the same: That means not allowing "them" to improperly use the navigable waterways as local housing. If we hold everyone to the same standards and offer all the same privileges, it's a good thing.

A very important way that these squatters are impacting all of the boaters (including cruisers) is they provide an excuse for local and state governments to excessively restrict and control anchoring near major population centers. That is costing me, you, and other boaters right now. Why do you think you're getting told "move along" by law enforcement anywhere at all? Because there are people who do not "move along" and have created the unfortunate need for establishing and enforcing anchoring restrictions. So, you might want to think of the privileges being afforded "them" aka the anchor-outs and squatters as your biggest problem who will cost you the most because some day, when you need to stay somewhere for a few months or a year, you won't be able to do so because too many other people have taken advantage of that privilege so it was removed and made unavailable for ALL boaters not just those locals using a boat as their local housing.

The Bay area just isn't a good choice of location for someone to become a squatter. There are more remote places where it would be ideal--just not here with the heavy population.
Old 14-01-2016, 13:18   #326
Marine Service Provider

PS -- earlier today, based on SailorChic's statement that no anchoring allowed at Benecia and in Mare Island Strait, I called Solano County Sheriff to confirm and Vallejo Yacht Club. 1. Anchoring IS still permitted (anchoring, not just picking up a mooring) in the anchorages marked on the charts at Benecia and this may also include anchoring in non-marked anchorages for up to 96 hrs no problem. They were having problems with a community of squatters there at the park and that was pushing the Sheriff's office to notify all mariners of the anchoring restrictions. Haven't heard back completely on the Mare Island Strait one yet. I got part of the story--had to do with a particular boat (liveaboard) being belligerent with the USCG and causing a backlash that may or may not stick.

So, there you have it -- another case of few squatters making it difficult for all mariners who want/need to anchor...the actions of the squatters are COSTING all boaters.
Old 14-01-2016, 14:28   #327
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On Tomales Bay the towns of Marshall and Inverness both have small stores. Actually, the Inverness store is fairly large. Marshall has deep-water anchorage and docking, while it's quite shallow near Inverness.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 16:04   #328
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

No, there isn't tons of space for cruising boats or other vessels to anchor. The deeper parts of the RB are unfortunately full of derelict or other boats fitting the description of abandoned, hoarded by pickers, or used as local housing and these displace larger boats or deeper draft vessels from the protected waters of Richardson Bay.

Well maybe not tons of space for 85 foot vessels, but you could get 10 85 foot vessels in the bay, further away from shore.

You speak of the people who anchor out as "They" and do not include yourself as part of "them" even as you seem to have some affinity and knowledge of "them" and you spend a lot of time "anchored out." Why are you not one of "them?" Probably because you consider yourself a boater and you're engaging in Public Trust use of the waterways--right? Your previous writing makes me think you feel sorry for these folks and I question whether you actually respect any of them but rather you just have some sympathy for an idealized image of "them" you've got in your mind and you're projecting to us here.

No projecting required. The difference is I tend to move around a bit between the bay and delta. I generally also avoid Richardson bay as much as possible as it's too noisy and busy for my tastes. I do have several friends on different boats who have been anchored in Richardson bay for a few years now. I stop by now and then to say hi to them. Good folks.

As most there are. The Squatters as you call them, are generally pretty nice folk. I've talked to others there from time to time as well.

Really I'm might as well be one of them too. However, I don't ever anchor in one spot for long and even stay at a marina some during winter, though not in the central bay. That as I'm can not afford a monthly liveaboard slip either at $600 month or more. Mind you I did liveaboard in a marina before I lost my job during the great recession, as many did. Got to love that. Now I work doing the exact same thing, (engineering) for about 1/5 the price.

I respect the rights of the anchorouts in Richardson Bay to have somewhere to live.

The Bay area just isn't a good choice of location for someone to become a squatter. There are more remote places where it would be ideal--just not here with the heavy population.
LOL, In other words NIMBY. Let them be homeless where they can't be seen. Thing is there were alway boats anchored in Richardson bay, long before the rich moved in.

Oddly, I find the bay area to be a lovely place for the poorer boater. The weather is nice 9 months of the year. The delta is low humidity, good winds for sailing and, good fishing and tons of places to anchor. Food prices are ok, if shopped carefully.

Really $300-$400 a month makes for pretty easy living. Though if I found myself on the east coast tomorrow I would not complain. Too many rules.

I'll be sure to talk to the Salano marine boys next time they come about. BTW Salano code 18-19 is where they have the 96 hour anchoring limit anywhere in Salono county water ways. But FYI code 18-20 allows houseboats and liveaboards 30 days at anchor. They are not telling boaters about that code, which is available on line.
Old 14-01-2016, 16:09   #329
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
On Tomales Bay the towns of Marshall and Inverness both have small stores. Actually, the Inverness store is fairly large. Marshall has deep-water anchorage and docking, while it's quite shallow near Inverness.
Yep, always boats anchored off Marshall. I thought of going there for a bit. But I've never stopped there but the market has got to be tiny there as Marshall is just a few buildings. Point Reyes station has a grocery store, but I think the bay is pretty shallow there. No west marine either or taxi or buses. I know I've so picky.
Old 14-01-2016, 16:15   #330

Quote:
If someone's retired and on a very fixed pension, the Bay area is NOT the place to be. Wrong and others like him (with many experiences of living in many places so not afraid to leave their local familiar neighborhood) would be much better served by living on shore elsewhere or traveling with their boat.
I'd like to see a pic of your boat. With the ground you cover the engine must be capable of moving your boat along at a healthy clip. You mentioned the boat length someplace in this thread, and as I recall it had a pretty good water line length. So, under sail or power I'd expect your boat to run circles around mine and SailorChic's boats. Point is, you have the capability in your boat that we don't. As for where I live and your condecsending view expressed in where you think I ought not live, it's none of your business. If I'd cleaved to your views, including the primacy of the Public Trust over everybody and everything, I wouldn't have lived a great life aboard my diminuitive 27' sailboat for going on 26 years. And yes, I've kept moving for the most part but not always. So according to you I've been both a cruiser and 'squatter'. I don't like your terminology or condescendant attitude.

Best you avoid Sausalito altogether since you find so much fault here.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, liveaboard