Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 19:43   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It might have the only place in the San Fran Bay that you can dry your boat out and do the bottom, for free. Right along the main street is a public boat ramp that has a 24 hour limit and high piles for tying up to. Nice bottom.
Can you be more specific about the location? depth etc. Thanks

Never mind - I read subsequent posts. I would have been surprised to hear it was really permitted.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 19:56   #32

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Honestly... I want Richardson Bay clean from thousand of derelict boats.. and the whole bay around.. on the estuary, close to the row center, it's another point for transient.. down close to park av bridge... and I can keep on and on...
I'm really happy finally somebody do something about those boats...
Old 06-10-2015, 07:43   #33

My view. In order to head off efforts by the RBRA to implement Plans and ordinances that will make living aboard in Richardson Bay impossible, it will be necessary to stop the mooring field. The chance to do this is coming up. The public meeting scheduled at the Spinnaker Restaurant on November 12. A campaign to influence people's opinions about constructing the mooring field at a cost of $650,000 when the built cost of 100 moorings is estimated to run "only" $105,000. Call our own early meetings, submit letters to the editor to Bay area papers, hand out circulars and more. Pack the meeting with anti-mooring people. And of course, if given the opportunity to speak at the Spinnaker event do so.

Anyone wanting to participate in such an effort PM me. Not much time to act.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:04   #34
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sounds to me like Sausalito is finally going to clean up the mess otherwise known as Richardson Bay. It's long overdue.
I agree. When we were there in Oct 2013 taking our boat north. I could not believe all the "junk" that was anchored in the bay to include the shallow channel to get back to the fuel dock....
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD View Post
I agree. When we were there in Oct 2013 taking our boat north. I could not believe all the "junk" that was anchored in the bay to include the shallow channel to get back to the fuel dock....
Nobody is in favour of the situation continuing as it exists in Richardson Bay today. The Richardson Bay Regional Authority has both the mandate and authority to deal with the unattended, abandoned, derelict and dollar boats purchased with resale at a profit in mind. Budgeting for disposal of these boats is a problem.

But, what we're talking about here is a case where folks like you "taking our boat north" will not have an anchorage in Richardson Bay in which you can pause, take in the sights, make repairs and reprovision. What if you want to decompress for a year before heading out again?

Not going to happen because ordinances will limit the time you can anchor. Presently 3 days in a week without a permit. Then, provided you get one, will you have to apply for another the next week? And, will there be a limit to the number of times you can get a permit like in San Diego @ 3 per month?

I'm a cruiser with enough voyaging experience; and having lived aboard continuously for 26 years I intimately understand the issues here. I've come and gone from Sausalito between voyages and have wittnessed first hand how things have changed. I'm all in favour of ridding the Bay of the aforementioned boat types, a mooring field AND AN ANCHORAGE where cruisers can pause. The plan is for a mooring field and NO anchorage. Finally, if you've lived 26 years continuously in a responsible manner, on a seaworthy, registered boat with all chain ground tackle and appropriately sized anchors; completing the better part of two global circumnavigations and suddenly your lifestyle is threatened by yahoos all riled up by the presence of the aforementioned types of boats, you'd be crazy to sit idly by while your way of life is threatened.

Both your posts suggest you have not read from the top of this thread. It's not just about the boats...
Old 12-10-2015, 19:49   #36
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

I agree that derelict boats need to be taken care of. We have several ships on the Columbia River that have been abandon. Neither Oregon, nor Washington want to spend the money to remove these pieces of junk.

The further north I go the better places I find without junk boats. Bigger cities and the State need to find a way to get rid of the abandon boats while allowing cruisers access to anchorages. Even on land there are time limits for camp grounds.
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 09:59   #37

Update:

It appears the RBRA intends to maintain tight control over what's presented at the Spinnaker Restaurant on November 12th. Requests by two knowlegeable and experienced sailors to be added to the agenda as speakers are falling on deaf ears.

So, it may come as no surprise the party line favoring a "mooring field without amenities", no local and or cruisers anchorage, and an environment where boaters entering Richardson Bay will either be short term visitors or "on a ball..." will rule the day.

Be there. Express your opposition to the addition of any mooring field absent anchorages for local and transient boaters.
Old 15-10-2015, 12:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Update:

It appears the RBRA intends to maintain tight control over what's presented at the Spinnaker Restaurant on November 12th. Requests by two knowlegeable and experienced sailors to be added to the agenda as speakers are falling on deaf ears.

So, it may come as no surprise the party line favoring a "mooring field without amenities", no local and or cruisers anchorage, and an environment where boaters entering Richardson Bay will either be short term visitors or "on a ball..." will rule the day.

Be there. Express your opposition to the addition of any mooring field absent anchorages for local and transient boaters.
Forgot to mention. Demand no live aboard and three day in a week anchoring ordinances be eliminated too.
Old 16-10-2015, 10:37   #39

The start time for the Spinnaker event will be 6 p.m. on November 12th.

See ya'll there.
Old 17-10-2015, 10:00   #40

On another related subject. The RBRA meeting "tentatively" scheduled for November 10, 2015. If you check the RBRA website today, you'll find this:

The next RBRA meeting is scheduled for:

Sausalito City Council Meeting
Thursday, October 1, 2015
5:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.

This, because RBRA clerk Ben Berto isn't sure there'll be a "quorum" on November 10th.

I recommended he post the November 10 meeting as "tentative" on the RBRA site, so at least folks will be aware of it.

Nah...

So, anyway, we need folks to pack the meeting and speak their mind. Although I doubt they've done so, I asked two things be added to the agenda. Rename RBRA's "Mooring Field without Amenities" to "Mooring Field without Amenities, Plus an anchorage". And, discuss the intent/purpose behind the three day in a week anchoring restriction. Rescind.

Should be a lively meeting provided there is no conspiracy by the RBRA to make certain the meeting is not held due to a lack of a quorum.
Old 24-10-2015, 07:29   #41

The Spinnaker event on November 12 in Sausalito will be geared toward selling the idea of the mooring field. What you won't hear:

A primary objective is to coerce boaters presently in Richardson Bay onto moorings.
•The tool used to accomplish this is an ordinance restricting anchoring to 3 days per week. Beyond three days a permit is required. This means you’ll have to ask for a new permit every week, making living on board at anchor virtually impossible.
•Will the boaters in Sausalito who were displaced from the anchorage have priority over all others when applying for a mooring?
•Will boaters in Sausalito have priority over “outsiders” in the assignment of moorings?
•Will boats in marinas be permitted to move onto a mooring?
•How much is charged to apply for a mooring and whether or not it will be refundable?
•How much a mooring will cost? Will there be discounts and or subsidies?
•How long you may stay on a mooring?
•If there is a maximum time you can use a mooring, once your maximum stay is used, how long must you wait before applying for a mooring again? Anchoring will be strictly controlled,eliminating an alternative to having to rent a mooring.
•There will be no designated anchorage where boaters based in Sausalito can anchor for more than3days per week without a permit.
•Will there be a “cruisers anchorage” for boats in transit? If yes,will there be a time limit?

The RBRA's aim is to get their hands on the $ before a "Task Force" develops a Plan providing the kinds of information you'll not be getting on the 12th..

Say no to the mooring field on the 12th and you'll be stopping Sausalito's share of financing from enabling the RBRA to move ahead before we've got the facts.
Old 24-10-2015, 08:11   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The 3 day anchoring limit has been on the books for a really long time. So that's nothing new. Enforcement is the issue, as there is little budget to enforce a 3 day time limit.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 09:40   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The 3 day anchoring limit has been on the books for a really long time. So that's nothing new. Enforcement is the issue, as there is little budget to enforce a 3 day time limit.
True. But once a mooring field is a reality, the dynamics will change. Both the no live aboard and three day in a week anchoring limit WILL be enforced. Why? Because the money the RBRA is scrambling to get now includes money for legal and enforcement purposes. If you let your opportunity to block the RBRA's access to funds pass by failing to attend the Spinnaker event, guaranteed whatever worst case scenario you can imagine will play out. They will be in the envial position to make rules after the fact, without any worry people like you and I can do anything to prevent it.
Old 24-10-2015, 09:45   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
•The tool used to accomplish this is an ordinance restricting anchoring to 3 days per week. Beyond three days a permit is required. This means you’ll have to ask for a new permit every week, making living on board at anchor virtually impossible.
Inconvenient? Maybe. Impossible? Doesn't sound like it.

Quote:
Say no to the mooring field on the 12th and you'll be stopping Sausalito's share of financing from enabling the RBRA to move ahead before we've got the facts.
Are you saying the a public vote is going to be taken during the meeting? That seems unlikely.

BTW- I find no mention of this event on the RBRA web site. Or on the City Council web site, for that matter.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 10:16   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Inconvenient? Maybe. Impossible? Doesn't sound like it.
No guarantee you're going to receive more than X number of permits per month, or for that matter one permit. Remember, once the RBRA has the $, they can have a free hand imposing monthly limits on anything without having to worry about interference that may otherwise prevent them from getting the money until after the facts are out.

Quote:
Are you saying the a public vote is going to be taken during the meeting? That seems unlikely.
Most likely, sentiment will be assessed with a questionaire distributed before the event begins. The Sausalito City Council will supposedly vote accordingly to deny or approve their contribution.

Quote:
BTW- I find no mention of this event on the RBRA web site. Or on the City Council web site, for that matter.
Are you at all surprised? Although there's an RBRA meeting 'tentatively' scheduled for November 10, the RBRA website still shows Oct. 01 as the next meeting date. This is intentional. I emailed Ben Berto about it, suggesting they post November 10 as 'tentative' on the site. He said, they want to make sure there will be a quorum first... Truth is they don't want a good turnout only two days before the Spinnaker event.

Tags
head, liveaboard