Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2012, 08:14   #136
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
My rules:

#1. Boat shoes only.
#2. Never refer to a line by its color.
#3. Three-wrap minimum on the self-tailers.
#4. All sailors sit when using the head.
#5. Cookies should only be tossed from the leeward rail.
#6. Lifejackets are required whenever the foredeck is wet.
#7. Put the strap around your neck before using my binoculars.
#8. Don't trim sails without looking at the sails.
#9. Don't camp in the companionway.
#10. Unless there's a fire, please avoid interrupting me when I'm reading.

When students are aboard I add the following two rules:

#11. Turn all cellphones off for the duration of the voyage.
#12. No posting of photos of this vessel or its crew on facebook.
Old 29-04-2012, 08:33   #137

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Rules & Etiquette for Visitors Aboard Your Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That's a good one
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 13:54   #138
CLOD

Boat: none

What happens on the boat ................ stays on the boat!
Old 29-04-2012, 14:29   #139
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippysyd View Post
This will be our first year cruising on our C27. We've already planned a weekend cruise with another sailor and some work friends. Since we're all layed off in the summer we agreed up front that we'll pool expenses. But I think this is an exception. Usually when we have guests at home we don't expect them to chip in for stuff at home, but pay their own way when we're out and about.

If I have friends over for dinner I don't present a bill. However, if I went on a week long cruise, I would expect that we would divide the costs. They're still getting off easy because they don't have to pay for dockage and maintenance, but I would expect everyone to chip in and never have had a problem with it.

I have printed instructions in the head and I also make sure people understand it. It only makes sense to explain things people aren't familiar with.

But I really don't know anyone who would want to read 8 pages of rules and regs.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 14:41   #140
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

If I have friends over for dinner I don't present a bill. However, if I went on a week long cruise, I would expect that we would divide the costs. They're still getting off easy because they don't have to pay for dockage and maintenance, but I would expect everyone to chip in and never have had a problem with it.

I have printed instructions in the head and I also make sure people understand it. It only makes sense to explain things people aren't familiar with.

But I really don't know anyone who would want to read 8 pages of rules and regs.
If its a week long cruise at your discretion. It's a delivery for crew and you should pay. If its a bunch of mates off for a weeks jolly with mutually agreed destinations then of course the costs are shared. I'm tired of owners that want crew to subsidise their travels. ( and even more fed up with the "crew" that then pay to do so ) its what has the delivery business messed up.

Dave
Old 29-04-2012, 14:53   #141
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
My rules:

#1. Boat shoes only.
#2. Never refer to a line by its color.
#3. Three-wrap minimum on the self-tailers.
#4. All sailors sit when using the head.
#5. Cookies should only be tossed from the leeward rail.
#6. Lifejackets are required whenever the foredeck is wet.
#7. Put the strap around your neck before using my binoculars.
#8. Don't trim sails without looking at the sails.
#9. Don't camp in the companionway.
#10. Unless there's a fire, please avoid interrupting me when I'm reading.

When students are aboard I add the following two rules:

#11. Turn all cellphones off for the duration of the voyage.
Good rules
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 15:21   #142

Boat: Silverton 42

We enjoy taking guests out for "3 hour tours" in the months leading up to summer when we live on the boat and it's family time. Recently, as a result of our kids wanting their friends along, we invited 1 friend each for an extended weekend. I sent the parents a few paragraphs about staying on a boat mostly about safety, conservation, what to bring/pack and use of the head. The advance information was helpful and we all had a great time. The kids were great. Recently, we invited a couple for a "3 hour tour". In such circumstances I spend a couple of minutes mentioning basic safety, where the life jackets are, and for all gentleman to sit down for ALL business. If anything is unusual to let me know. The gentleman apparently thought the sit down rule was an attempt at humor (as evidenced by his self-made lake on the floor of the head). We had a half toilet roll on and after they left I noticed the toilet paper was ALL gone. It wasn't in the garbage. Uh oh. It wasn't used to clean the lake. Uh oh. I'm going with written rules for newbies. I personally won't charge for guests when we take them out for longer trips but I sure want everyone to know what I expect. A boat is different than a house. Most people don't drown when invited over to your house or plug up your toilet cuz its different.... There are lots of lists available at different blogs and sites and guess what? They all include a detailed explanation for how to use the head and for guys to sit. I guess this wasn't the first man made lake...... Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:37   #143

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I think those of you who're dumping on Tom are being unfair. I never had a written list of rules for my boat, because I didn't need one. I only invited friends and family aboard, and it was sufficient to have a short "crew meeting" at the beginning of the trip to lay out my expectations and give practical instructions on safety equipment, plumbing, galley, etc. Never had a problem.

Tom's been a member here for three years, and I've read enough of his posts to know that he has a pretty unique approach to acquiring crew. He invites perfect strangers aboard, in large part because he enjoys meeting new people of all ages and backgrounds. Having a printed list of "rules" makes perfect sense in a situation like this, and any "guest" with a sense of fairness and decency would appreciate knowing the ground rules. And contributing to the food budget, etc. makes sense to me, also. Tom's guests are getting the opportunity to sail on a nice boat in exotic locales. What's the big deal about asking them to chip into the kitty?

I think a lot of the critics are translating their experience having friend and family aboard to Tom's practice of accepting strangers. The two are very different, in my view.
I'll have to agree, It doesn't sound like he is just inviting a guest for a sundowner at the dock so a comparison to inviting a dinner guest isn't accurate.

If you are going to be spending a month or two with a green crew on an extended passage, a complete briefing of what to expect, and how to operate the boat is a good idea. If he can fit everything someone needs to know to stand watch in 8 pages, he is more succinct than I am.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:43   #144

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hildebrandt View Post
Ceesh, I now have a compost toilet, but have not yet had guest aboard since it was installed. However, I am hopeful that it will take a truly inspired and vindictive person to manage to mess this new system up!

I had to look up the expression "Deutsche Gründlichkeitve" but you are correct, my last name is Hildebrandt if that helps your analysis of my writing technique!

Where exactly are you in Brazil? I spent a delightful 6 months off Jacarre several years ago!

Tom
Let me know how the composter works, I'm thinking of buying one.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:34   #145

Tom, your eight pages have elicited a lot of attention. It seems I wasn't the only person who asked for a copy. If you can't attach it here, do you have any way we could access it.

While I have not been a "fan" of "lists" to do things (I singlehand most of the time or am with family who know the boat), my son recently started sailing with me after many years. He is the type who needs a checklist, either because of the infrequent nature of his visits, or 'cuz he's just wired that way. Come to think of it, in some regards, I am, too. For example, when we bought our boat in 1998, it had a Micrologic Loran. Some of you may remember these things. The instructions were written by someone with HEAVY government experience, and even the "short form" "quick tips" instruction booklet was too long and hard to understand. To enter a waypoint required six steps!!! So I wrote my own "mini" instruction manual.

I eventually found a checklist from the C320 website (some individual class boat associations develop checklists more than others, I've found; perhaps it's just the nature of the folks who tend to buy those particular vessels). I adopted it for my boat, and go through it with my son whenever we go out sailing. He's also been very helpful recently with engine/mechanical work. What a deal! Now I know why we put him through college!

I think many of us would be very interested in your document and would love to obtain a copy.

Thanks,

Stu
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:31   #146

Boat: O'Day 28

Good story
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 18:12   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Pretty much only one rule, wear your work vest when working on the after deck.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 19:00   #148

Boat: Silverton 42

Oh. In case I wasn't clear - I think anytime you have guests staying overnight or longer a List or booklet (whatever you want to call it) is probably a good idea. As I age, I realize I need a list for the things I've known how to do for years - I just keep forgetting to do them! how can I expect a newbie to deal with most boaty things that are going to be completely new to him/her. The contents of such Lists deals with safety too. Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 19:09   #149

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lee View Post
Oh. In case I wasn't clear - I think anytime you have guests staying overnight or longer a List or booklet (whatever you want to call it) is probably a good idea. As I age, I realize I need a list for the things I've known how to do for years - I just keep forgetting to do them! how can I expect a newbie to deal with most boaty things that are going to be completely new to him/her. The contents of such Lists deals with safety too. Cheers,
Bill
Safety is right! The list pages could save the day if you ran out of TP. Jes sayin'.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 19:16   #150

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hey guys, I am sitting here at home with a bad dose of the bad flu feeling like ***** and this topic has given me the best laugh in a long time.
Thank you all!!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote