Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 03:03   #16

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Is there a translator on the site for all the Canadian acronyms??

Most people in Canada qualify for two government pensions:
CPP ~ Canada Pension Plan.
OAS ~ Old Age Security.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 13:22   #17

I retained 2 tidbits of valuable-to-me information during my 3 years at Service Canada.

The first is that it is important to file tax returns every year even if there are no changes to your income or deductions. The cost-of-living increase is based on these returns.

The second is that every pensioner should call 1-800-O-Canada periodically and ask this specific question: Am I getting all the benefits I am entitled to? The reason is that they (ESDC/Service Canada) periodically introduce new benefits and we (the citizens) need to check if we qualify. I am told that the call centre staff will run through a list of questions and the answers will determine eligibility. As an example, when I was there (over 10 years ago now) they were introducing the CRDO Initiative (Child Rearing Drop Out). At the time it was geared towards women who had children from 1959 to 1965 (I think - please check website for the dates) and stopped working outside the home. These now pensioners were not contributing to the CPP/… thru their employers, the GoC wanted to recognize their efforts. Have there been new initiatives … possibly.

If my memory is correct, it seems that any of these programs/initiatives are payable retroactively for the past 11 months from the time we call. I’m planning on calling every 10 months and I need to find the out-of-country 1-800 number.
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 17:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
I retained 2 tidbits of valuable-to-me information during my 3 years at Service Canada.

The first is that it is important to file tax returns every year even if there are no changes to your income or deductions. The cost-of-living increase is based on these returns.

The second is that every pensioner should call 1-800-O-Canada periodically and ask this specific question: Am I getting all the benefits I am entitled to? The reason is that they (ESDC/Service Canada) periodically introduce new benefits and we (the citizens) need to check if we qualify. I am told that the call centre staff will run through a list of questions and the answers will determine eligibility. As an example, when I was there (over 10 years ago now) they were introducing the CRDO Initiative (Child Rearing Drop Out). At the time it was geared towards women who had children from 1959 to 1965 (I think - please
check website for the dates) and stopped working outside the home. These now pensioners were not contributing to the CPP/… thru their employers, the GoC wanted to recognize their efforts. Have there been new initiatives … possibly.
If my memory is correct, it seems that any of these programs/initiatives are payable retroactively for the past 11 months from the time we call. I’m planning on calling every 10 months and I need to find the out-of-country 1-800 number.
Good luck finding an out of country phone number for service Canada. My buddy tried that and I had to call for him. When I asked for a number that works out of country they just gave me one that did not.
Sonny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:11   #19

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post

Actually, one question just came to mind - would maintaining Canadian registration on your boat while cruising not also be evidence of a settled intention to return?
Very interesting point, even goes to whether you could be considered as still residing in Canada?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 17:00   #20

Boat: Shopping, Looking and dreaming. Looking for liveaboard, under 45 ft sloop.

Thank to all for the replies! I guess the bottom line is talk to the professionals.. Ya even the ones in the government �� Find out what you have to do and go for it. I plan on returning regularly and maintaining property here so I don't think I will run into many issues.. But ... "If it's going happen.."

Thanks again!
Wbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 17:01   #21

Boat: Shopping, Looking and dreaming. Looking for liveaboard, under 45 ft sloop.

Thank to all for the replies! I guess the bottom line is talk to the professionals.. Ya even the ones in the government 😉 Find out what you have to do and go for it. I plan on returning regularly and maintaining property here so I don't think I will run into many issues.. But ... "If it's going happen.."

Thanks again!
Wbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 17:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Very interesting point, even goes to whether you could be considered as still residing in Canada?
I would think so - flags are important, and territorial.

Courtesy flags for example aren't just a courtesy. They are an acknowledgement that as a visitor, you are subject to the jurisdiction of the host Country.

If I am flying the Red Ensign, then I am on British Territory under British jurisdiction.

That's why "Planting the Flag" on new lands, was so important. It extended jurisdiction.

This was how Obama managed to put a tax obligation on yachts in transit, flying the Stars and Stripes. Those on board, are 'in' America.

Of course if people are flying a 'courtesy flag' in addition to a Stars and Stripes, they may still be liable, but if they lower the Stars and Strips while being guests and flying the courtesy flag . . . . . . . maybe they won't be.

It's certainly something that has now been unnecessarily complicated, and needs proper clarification (which generally happens when some poor sucker is hauled in front of a jury of their peers - as it is a jury that determines if legislation is lawful, as if it is not lawful, it is illegal, and void).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 04:34   #23

Boat: Albin 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
it is a jury that determines if legislation is lawful, as if it is not lawful, it is illegal, and void).
Juries determine facts, not law.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:06   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:

Determining your residency status ➥ Determining your residency status

CRA form NR73 - Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada)
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr73/nr73-12e.pdf
NR73 - Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 10:39   #25

Here's the link for 1-800-O-Canada:

Calling 1 800 O-Canada From Around the World - Service Canada

This page was last updated in May 2014 so caution is advised. Also the link to Canadian embassies/consulates is not working at this time.

Are these documents that skippers generally have on board?
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, rule