Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2020, 10:09   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Safety between Suez and India

An alternative which is a little pricey and probably wanting an offer in the £15k range, located in Scotland too:

https://www.mcyachts.co.uk/boats-for...33mki/1889881/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 10:09   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I would not go really small just because you think it's easier to single hand. When I was a newbie sailor I worked on a 36' Morgan and very quickly learned to single hand that boat with no problems, including short tacking out narrow channels, anchoring, etc. I often singlehand my 42' Pearson. Setting up the boat properly is the secret to making it easy to single hand.

One problem with small boats is storage capacity for water and food. Not sure how much the 26' Hunter holds but bet it's not much.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 10:24   #18

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I remember reading the book by Alayne Main about her and her husband sailing around the world in their Prout Quest 31. The went in the opposite direction up the suez, and IIRC it was 1000 miles of wind on the bow.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 12:37   #19

Boat: Pearson

I would not use that boat for the type of waters you intend to travel. Look for a more robust boat, a diesel is needed and more length in useful.
Old 16-05-2020, 12:47   #20

I’d suggest buying a plane ticket and buy a boat when you get there. Cheaper, safer, faster,.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 13:39   #21

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Buying a bot where you are going makes a lot of sense but if it is the adventure you want - and nothing wrong with that - your budget would get you a Vega all kitted out. I would go the. other way as well. Longer, but more interesting in many ways, safer, and easier.
Old 16-05-2020, 13:50   #22

AiniA thanks for your reply.

So you think crossing Atlantic through Panama and across the Pacific to Philippines is easier than going Med-Suez-India route? I maybe naively thought that would be more dangerous for a rookie sailor like me?

For sure, going across two oceans, down the Panama canal after Carribean islands and then seeing a raft of Pacific islands would be beyond awesome. However it does seem like crossing Atlantic Nov-Mar is all downwind and crossing Pacific Dec - May appears to miss hurricane season and you can catch the easterly winds below the equator.

Safety in numbers. How can you sail with a group of boats? Just hang around Panama until you see some like minded people who have similar routes and go same(ish) pace ?
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 15:14   #23

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

When you get to Suez, put your fairly small vessel, heavily insured for the passage, aboard a freighter as deck cargo and pick it up in India.

Unless you are feeling lucky. They may think your craft is not worth the trouble--but I would not chance the pirates using you as a training exercise or just for the fun of it.

The Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden is no longer safe since the British left Aden, and Somalia has degraded into a factional pirate-funded shyte-fight since the colonials abandoned it...
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 22:00   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1991 View Post
AiniA thanks for your reply.

So you think crossing Atlantic through Panama and across the Pacific to Philippines is easier than going Med-Suez-India route?
Yup.

Or as already suggested, buy the yacht in the Far East. Lots of folk sail across the Pacific and then hit a stumbling block. They don't like the idea of bashing up the Red Sea or going round the Cape, so sell up. The boats will probably be bigger but ought to be well equipped.

I agree with Mike, there is no way I am going near the Southern Red Sea or Northern Indian Ocean.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 23:57   #25

Boat: Reve de Mer

Hi
I not post here much but this topic I wish to contribute:
I own a 24 ft Reve de Mer and did sail single handed from Hongkong to Philippines. Its only a 4 ..5 day trip, not to compare with your challenge. But single hand in a small even sturdy boat in open water is nothing to joke about it.
I would not do that trip as you plan it. Neither in the small boat nor in that direction against all the trading winds and more importantly: not by having this small budget. 30.000 $ is ok for a few months nice holiday. But no way enough to sail half way around the world.

If you want to sail around in the Philippines - you can rent / buy my boat within your budget, the Reve de Mer which is berthed in Subic Marina, Philippines. And from there cruise Philippine islands.
Interested? Send me an email
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDesiree_Mar1414 (2019_01_30 09_56_15 UTC).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	215216  
ptrd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 00:45   #26

Hi, thanks for responding.

I now realise that 26ft is too small for a semi circumnavigation and I should look at 30ft plus. I did some basic training at Puerto Galera Yacht Club and heard some stories about Phils to HK being a really dangerous route. Two stories ended with the boat and crew never being seen again.

Where can I buy a 30ft yacht in Phils? Subic Bay/PGYC/Cebu YC all have a limited amount of boats and obviously I'd come over for a month to buy one, if I chose the unadventurous option. It seems to me that Subic Marina is pretty expensive for boats compared to UK and also for berthing fees etc. Where else can I find good economical boats in Phils?

Do you rent your boat out? If so, how much per month? Is there a guide to coastal waters and mooring places for the Phils? Seems like there's a lot of protected areas and marinas charge P2000 and upwards for a night.
Old 17-05-2020, 02:31   #27

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Buy a boat in the Philippines, there are more boats in Port Carmen or sometimes in Bonbonon, Negros, biggest live aboard anchorage in Philippines.

For a bit more adventure there are lots of boats for sale in Peninsula Malaysia or Thailand small and large, people get stuck there not wanting to go through Suez or round the Cape. Fairly easy trip from there, Singapore, Borneo, Palawan. Avoid crossing Balabac at night to avoid smugglers, otherwise no real security issues.

Scotland to Philippines the wrong way seems like a mad route, even more so for a beginner.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 02:37   #28

Boat: Reve de Mer

I do sail in this area since more than 20 years. Yes, marinas are expensive and mooring is only advisable in few areas.
Not many boats to sell in the Phils. A better place to look is Hong Kong. If you like to charter mine to give it a try send me a private message
ptrd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 02:39   #29

Where's the adventure in buying a boat in Phils? I plan to sail around west coast of Scotland for several months before I take on anything challenging. I'm very unlikely to go round the world if I don;t do it next year as my wife will retire in 2022-23 and she hates being on a boat. So I've got over a year to make this trip if I want.

Feedback on here has made me confirm I need 30ft plus and some other specs for long voyages.
Old 17-05-2020, 02:58   #30

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Google for Shane Actons famous book "Shrimpy".

Well worth reading, he circumnavigated in a very small boat.
It can be done, but a slightly bigger boat makes it safer and more comfortable.

If you have plenty of time and are not in a rush, that's a huge safety advantage.

Btw. with a small boat you could also go through Rhine and Danube into the black sea...
Even though personally I do understand very well if you do not want to give France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece a miss.

Most of all: Enjoy!

Tags
India, safety