Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2022, 00:00   #1

Boat: Yamaha 33
sail around the world, which boat?

Hello all,

First post for me here

I’ve been saving up over the past 15 years to sail around the world and sustain about 2-3 years of running cost + boat upgrade

I currently own a 1980 Yamaha 33, which has been great fun

I’m now looking for the right boat for this life changing experience

I’ll be doing this with my girlfriend and I’ll likely be hiring an experienced sailor for the first ocean crossing

What boat would you recommend in the 250-350k USD range used?

My personal preference goes to the earlier Nautitech Open 40, because of its balance of speed and comfort, single handed handling, windward performance, plus it looks modern and sleek with its inverted bows

Appreciate if you you could explain reason of your recommendations, including pros and cons vs the Nautitech

Thanks
Alex
Sea Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 01:10   #2

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: sail around the world, which boat?

Unless you're sold on the idea of a cat, i'll repeat what I always repeat: Amel For that money you can get the best, newest supermaramu redline 2000 on the market and still have a little left over for anything you need or the cruising kitty. to be fair, you could still get an older supermaramu like ours for 200k fully outfitted for a circumnavigation (watermaker, solar, wind, lithium, etc and bulletproof like all amels. A used amel 54 would be at the top end of your range, but the changes in my opinion aren't probably worth the double price.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 02:13   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

My $0.02c

I'm not a cross oceans sailor...yet.

I agree that a boat you can sail fast or slow is a good plan. I would look for something a bit longer and sleeker/faster. For your budget you could buy a boat like mine or better (mines not for sale, so I'm not trying to sell it to you) but I bought it with the intention to cross oceans. It's a 48' Schionning and there are other makes, models similar and fast as far as cruisers go.

It will have a bit more room, and a lot more comfort crossing oceans with the ability of making good miles if you would like to minimise your time while a long way from land or skirt around some weather. A light long boat with less drag has less stress on the boat. In light winds it can still make good miles without the motors on. It's very capable of making good ground upwind where some can't.
Old 23-10-2022, 06:03   #4

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Rekka and Devine have cruised extensively on SV Pino, a Yamaha 33. Google them. We crossed paths several times in the South Pacific back in 2017-2018 before they went north to Japan and then across the North Pacific going E.

Boats are very individual things and different people have different requirements. All shapes and sizes have successfully completed extended voyages. Which one you 'should' cruise in is totally up to you. Hence, my most common answer to the question "which boat should I get for XYZ?" is "probably the one you already own". Having said that, it sounds like you've already made up your mind. If you like the Nautitech, get that one. I'm afraid I can't offer anything much more useful than that. :-)
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 06:26   #5

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Straightforward answer: hire a bluewater yacht consultant. Many well-built boats were made in the far east. Personally, I like the Bob Perry designs for bluewater cruising.

Sailing forums are good for new ideas and entertainment, but I would not stake your life or finances on any of the responses here. The good ones tend to get drowned out by all the questionable responses.

Speculative answer: The National Security Law concerns many in HK. The UK has been offering a path to residency and citizenship for certain residents of the HK, with an initial 5 year residency. The PRC is only heading downhill. The population of the HK has been steadily decreasing for the last two years.

I subscribe to a blog by Dan Harris, Esq., of Harris Bricken, which has had a presence in the PRC, with an office in Beijing. They handle immigration, along with doing business in PRC. You probably do not want to make too much noise and draw attention to yourself.

I would check out Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes on the best way to get to the UK from HK. Don't take a third party with you, or you will just be subjecting yourself to additional potential criminal liability if you get caught leaving. I understand Canada is now more welcoming than the U.S. to asylum seekers, if that is an option. Good luck leaving!
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 06:26   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Unless you're sold on the idea of a cat, i'll repeat what I always repeat: Amel For that money you can get the best, newest supermaramu redline 2000 on the market and still have a little left over for anything you need or the cruising kitty. to be fair, you could still get an older supermaramu like ours for 200k fully outfitted for a circumnavigation (watermaker, solar, wind, lithium, etc and bulletproof like all amels. A used amel 54 would be at the top end of your range, but the changes in my opinion aren't probably worth the double price.
I’m curious about these boats. Small thread drift. What do you see for average speeds on that boat? Not top speed, not any exaggeration, but what is your average normal beam reach cruising speed?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 08:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’m curious about these boats. Small thread drift. What do you see for average speeds on that boat? Not top speed, not any exaggeration, but what is your average normal beam reach cruising speed?
Here is the synopsis of 6 years of collecting polar data on our Amel Super Maramu. These predictions are used all the time in our weather routing, and they hold up very well in the real world.

All data in TWS and TWA

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.09.55.png Views: 102 Size: 65.8 KB ID: 266237" style="margin: 2px" />
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 10:06   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Explorer View Post
Hello all,

First post for me here

I’ve been saving up over the past 15 years to sail around the world and sustain about 2-3 years of running cost + boat upgrade

I currently own a 1980 Yamaha 33, which has been great fun

I’m now looking for the right boat for this life changing experience

I’ll be doing this with my girlfriend and I’ll likely be hiring an experienced sailor for the first ocean crossing

What boat would you recommend in the 250-350k USD range used?

My personal preference goes to the earlier Nautitech Open 40, because of its balance of speed and comfort, single handed handling, windward performance, plus it looks modern and sleek with its inverted bows

Appreciate if you you could explain reason of your recommendations, including pros and cons vs the Nautitech

Thanks
Alex
I'm not going to comment on the boat choice, If you like cats, why not the Nautitech?

But be careful with your financial plan, particularly the 2-3 years running costs. If you depart Honkers, unless you stay in SE Asia, you may find yourself a long ways from home and running out of money. Going across an ocean is a big commitment, you have to get back.

The good news is you can do a lot of cruising in SE Asia. My Hong Kong friends who went cruising but did not choose to go around the world have had years of good adventures without getting into a new hemisphere
Old 23-10-2022, 10:37   #9

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we are cat folk so certainly support your plan to go that way

however personally we would not have any of the various cats that have the helm position stuck out on the sterns. horribly exposed to the weather. supporters will argue that the boat is in autopilot most of the time (and it is), so it doesn't matter...until you have to do a long pilotage into port...or you have bad weather and need to hand steer...etc

anyway it's a personal choice...but think hard about it

the other main factor in cat selection is 'galley up' or 'galley down'. we are strong galley down people...gives much more room in saloon and much bigger galley. but others favour galley up. most recent cats are galley up, but this is because they are designed for the charter market which is all about maximising bunks

either way, think hard about it and compare he alternatives !

good luck

cheers,
Old 23-10-2022, 11:23   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I would take the boat you have. Yamahas have good reputations and some have been around the world.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 02:53   #11

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

The OP indicates he is in Hong Kong. It is not clear if he is a citizen, or temporary or permanent resident.

For those of you who have not kept up with world affairs, Xi Jinping declared at the most recent communist party conference that China has comprehensive control over Hong Kong, and Taiwan is next. The smart folks with money have already left Hong Kong for Singapore or London.

China has become like North Korea, Cuba or Russia. People are desperate to leave and they are not allowed to do so. Further, under the Chinese version of communism, you have only limited rights to own private property, so not only can you not leave, but you cannot transfer wealth out of the country. China is becoming a pariah nation, like Russia.

If the OP leaves Hong Kong, he would be smart to never return. The Chinese situation is going from bad to worse. Under the zero-COVID policy, if one person in your apartment building tests positive for COVID, the authorities lock the entire building down - no one gets in and no one gets out for the quarantine period. If you are lucky, they bring food and water to your building. If you test positive, you may be forcibly detained in a temporary COVID quarantine center, like a convention center, with hundreds of other poor souls.

Many believe the COVID measures have more to do with establishing central authority and control over renegade provinces or cities like Shanghai, and less to do with actually addressing COVID.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 03:11   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

Well you could always sell the Yamaha and get his and hers boats. Would make one hell of a YouTube series.
Cheers
https://taveacbaluchon.blogspot.com/...cript.html?m=1
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 04:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Here is the synopsis of 6 years of collecting polar data on our Amel Super Maramu. These predictions are used all the time in our weather routing, and they hold up very well in the real world.

All data in TWS and TWA

Attachment 266237
Thank you! That’s kind of what I was expecting. That’s right along the lines of the 50 foot golf star I used to have. Maybe a tiny bit faster. Maybe a little more water line length. Different sail plan. Comfortable boat I bet.
Old 24-10-2022, 04:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
The OP indicates he is in Hong Kong. It is not clear if he is a citizen, or temporary or permanent resident.

For those of you who have not kept up with world affairs, Xi Jinping declared at the most recent communist party conference that China has comprehensive control over Hong Kong, and Taiwan is next. The smart folks with money have already left Hong Kong for Singapore or London.

China has become like North Korea, Cuba or Russia. People are desperate to leave and they are not allowed to do so. Further, under the Chinese version of communism, you have only limited rights to own private property, so not only can you not leave, but you cannot transfer wealth out of the country. China is becoming a pariah nation, like Russia.

If the OP leaves Hong Kong, he would be smart to never return. The Chinese situation is going from bad to worse. Under the zero-COVID policy, if one person in your apartment building tests positive for COVID, the authorities lock the entire building down - no one gets in and no one gets out for the quarantine period. If you are lucky, they bring food and water to your building. If you test positive, you may be forcibly detained in a temporary COVID quarantine center, like a convention center, with hundreds of other poor souls.

Many believe the COVID measures have more to do with establishing central authority and control over renegade provinces or cities like Shanghai, and less to do with actually addressing COVID.
I’m not sure if you have been there recently? I was there in August.

China has administrative control over Hong Kong.

Pretty sure the OP can get a boat and go cruising. Not quite sure what all of the stuff you are posting about Hass to do with that. That’s pretty heavy on the politics side and not so much on the good advice about what cruising boat to get side.

I would argue that China has not become what you are saying exactly. It’s different. Although they are pretty fed up with that guy in charge right now.
Old 24-10-2022, 04:17   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The OP wants to talk boats the political situation in China is irelevant.

Tags
boat, round the world, sail