Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2020, 14:23   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43
Sailing Sicily

Anyone sailed The coast of Sicily between June and October? How is it wind wise, anchorages, ans shelter. We also are considering wintering in Licata. Any advice?
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 15:48   #2

Re: Sailing Sicily

We spent the winter in Licata, great place, albeit windy. The supermarket is in the Marina, all services, particular mention to the excellent electrician. No rigging though. There's not much to see, sailing wise, in the southern coast. Eastern and northern are more interesting.
Waveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 13:54   #3

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)

Definitely recommend Catania. People are put off by it as it's a bit grungy but I thought it was great. I also loved Taromina and Syracuse. Sheltered anchorages aren't plentiful unfortunately with the exception of Syracuse, which is fantastic.
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 15:09   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Thanks! Appreciated.
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 23:47   #5

Boat: Athena 38

Hi Chalifour

We have overwintered our boat at Marina di Ragusa the last two years. We have not yet ventured further west up the coast than there, so cannot speak for it. MDR is a nice place to overwinter and a good stopover for the short hop to Malta but there is not that much locally. It has a small but good chandler who is friendly and helpfull and a well equiped boatyard with a poor reputation. As regards to the hotly debated topic of which is best Licata or MDR, I know Licata is cheaper but after that it seems to be a question of whats important to you.

I'm surprised you haven't had some more responses from the MDR crowd who are better placed to answer than I as we tend to just transit through the area quite quickly. There is a place to anchor at Porto Palo, but I haven't been there and a Marina just around Capo Passero at Marzamemi. The Marina at Marzamemi is nothing to write home about but make sure you make the mile long walk northwards along the coast to the village.

As Lawrence Craig said Catania is grungy in parts, though the main square is stunning and you are well placed to explore Etna. I would think carefully though about visiting Catania if you have a catamaran. We went to pick up friends from the airport last September and there were no berths suitable catamarans. In the end we squeezed in to two adjacent vacant monohull berths ( the only ones in Catania) where we paid 60 euros a night to have NO toilets or showers, be surrounded by stagnant water with dead fish and polysyrene boxes and have heavy lorries thundering past on the cobbles a few feet away. Admittedly 60euros is cheap for a 38ft cat in Italy but apparently that was already discounted for the lack of facilities. It's probably better with a cat to go to the peripheral places like Riposto, though it will cost you!
Boatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, Sicily