Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2008, 11:44   #31
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
hellosailor,

I am not originally from Florida. I am from Ca., and there was only a title transfer fee, and registration fee when I moved here.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 12:45   #32

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Don't confuse registration with taxes. A US Documented Boat can never be state registered (it would be a federal crime to attempt to do so) so registration alone means absolutely nothing as far as taxes. Where the boat is and where you use it does mean far more.

In the case of FL you need to prove you left the state before the time period expires or it is assumed you owe the money. Dated receipts have generally been enough. It's a case where it is only because of how long the boat was in the state under your ownership that matters.
This thread is a little old, but not too old. I'm reading up on this registration information because we're boat shopping and trying to decide where we're going to "come from". I think I'm going to "come from Colorado with a sailboat under my feet" (Forgive me Stephen Foster) -- but I digress somewhat.

I noted the statement above and have to state that I think this is inaccurate and most likely was not correct when the poster posted the information.

Texas is one of the places we're looking at making our "home port" only because we have some relatives of in-laws living in the area where my daughter visits once a year... here's what I found about "Texas Boat Registration" for instance...

Quote:
Registration of USCG Documented Vessels

Effective January 1, 2004, vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard are no longer exempt from state registration requirements.
Requirements for registering a documented vessel:
  • Vessel/Boat Application form PWD 143 (PDF 485.6 KB);
  • Current USCG Documentation Certificate (or copy);
  • Verification of sales tax payment * or proof that vessel purchase date occurred more than four years prior to the date of application; and
  • Payment of registration fee. (Note: Do not submit title fee. A Texas title cannot be issued for a USCG documented vessel.)
Link here

Therefore, I am not sure how "legal" Texas is now... ??

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 16:37   #33

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
It's not registration. Registration is to certify title. You can only do that in one place with the state or with the USCG. Many states have assorted taxes or stickers but it's not to register a title. Owing taxes has nothing to do with the title.

As for FL if the boat is there when the clock ticks down it won't matter where you register it or where you call home - you owe the tax money.
I have a USCG documentation and a state registration in Rhode Island. Titleing is to certify title and registration is to register. They are not the same thing. My registration indicates that the vessel is documented.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 18:52   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
In Maryland if your bring a boat here and register it....you will pay excise tax on the value.

If the vessel is in Maryland longer than 6 months...you will pay the excise tax.

If the vessel is registered in another state, you have 90 days.

USCG Documentation doesn't mean diddly...ya still gotta pay the excise tax.

Don't try to be sneaky because they routinely walk the marinas.....and take photos.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 13:25   #35

Fla Sale tax

Question
Hate to hijack this post but since like I can get my answer .
I'm a florida resident and coast guard licensed charter captain. I just purchased a 70ft dinner boat for commercial use on the gulf coast in gulf mexico out less then 3 miles . Its USCG documented is ,presently operatiing on the east coast of fla The vessel is USCG cerified to carry up to 149 passengers coastwsie out 3 miles . . Do I have to register it in fl and pay sale tax since it will be used for commerical business and we will paying sale tax on income to the state of fla
Captgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 13:36   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Capt. Gene, I beleive Foriduh also has a commercial inventory/property tax, so you may be paying tax on the value of every spork, knife, and spoon on that vessel as well as the linens.

Your best bet is to contact the approrpriate state AND COUNTY business and tax offices, they are all very good at answering the phone, run large web sites, and while they don't make any bones about it, they're real helpful about making sure you know just how deeply you'll have to reach into your pockets.

Probably be a good idea to walk the docs and ask for some referrals to accountants who are familiar with the issues of your trade, a good one should save way more than he costs.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 13:47   #37

After doing more research It seem like there are some broker listing boat that run commerical charter dont have to pay sale tax on the purchase. I iwll call my local tax collector monday. Still trying to find good marine accountant .

thanks Capt Gene

PS there is not table in the boat so less taxes I hope
Captgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 13:53   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Washington State collects sales tax on any boat brought into the state. If you paid tax in another state, the state takes the difference between the Washington rate and the rate in the state of purchase. There is no income tax in WA so they are religious in collecting any possible sales tax that they think is due.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 11:32   #39
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Perhaps the prious operator can help you out

My edjumacated guess is Florida WILL want their pound of flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captgene View Post
Question
Hate to hijack this post but since like I can get my answer .
I'm a florida resident and coast guard licensed charter captain. I just purchased a 70ft dinner boat for commercial use on the gulf coast in gulf mexico out less then 3 miles . Its USCG documented is ,presently operatiing on the east coast of fla The vessel is USCG cerified to carry up to 149 passengers coastwsie out 3 miles . . Do I have to register it in fl and pay sale tax since it will be used for commerical business and we will paying sale tax on income to the state of fla
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 17:11   #40

this thread may be dead. the last entry was more than a month ago, because it isn't clear where to ask, I'll give it a try here.

The state of SC still doesn't require federaly documented vessels to be registered, Indeed it's the only state I could find where that's the case.

My question is, what happens if If I visit FL from SC without any state registration papers ?
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 17:21   #41

Registration is the mechanism to make out of state boat purchasers who did not pay tax where they purchased the boat to pay it where they live / use the boat.

In the case where your vessel is documented by not located in the state where you live it seems odd that they can collect "sales tax". What they do in that case is try to get you to show you registered and paid taxes in another state. Ha?

It seems to be that if you can register a boat out of the state where you reside and not have to provide a proof of sale and pay sales tax, but proof of ownership as in US documentation you might be able to register in that state and tell the state you live in that your boat is registered in X state - go talk a walk.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 17:38   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The state of SC still doesn't require federaly documented vessels to be registered, Indeed it's the only state I could find where that's the case.
As far as I know it is mostly untrue. Documenented refer to the title registration only and no state requires both. It is a federal crime to do so.

The issue that some states require additional tax whatever you want to call it is not a federal issue. In VA I pay state use stax and a personal property tax in my county but none of that has anything to do with being documeted. Were I state registred I would pay a periodic state registration fee and I don't but I still pay all the rest.

Quote:
My question is, what happens if If I visit FL from SC without any state registration papers ?
Nothing! FL does not care if your title is secured if it is secureed some place. If you can't prove title the boat can be assumed to be stolen! The issue of FL tax is only an issue with FL. If you stay 90 days they need to know. There is no free pass to any state that requires more than a a title registered some place legally entitled to do so.

Most states give you credit for Use Tax paid but nothing more. If you hit the calendar limit on days then you owe tax (or the difference paid in another state).
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 22:35   #43

1) registration is an ongoing tax. it is independetent of sales taxes for the most pard

2) many states require registration even for documented vessels. they also require titles for undocumented vessels, Years ago, documented vessels were not required to be registered in most state, but the "feds" decided that was not fair to the states.. Now states can require that documented vessels which "reside' in that state be registered. they can not be required to be titled .

3) My question , SC does not require that documented vessels resident in the state be registered. It does require that vessels resident in the state for "most' of the year pay taxes. So what happens when a vessel resident in SC for most of he year ( no registration required) visits Fl ( an assumpton that all vessals are registered in fl or some other state )?

Note there is no conflict over registration (states may require it of documented vessels)
or Titles ( states may not require it of documented vesselsa)

I trying to get some sense of how the government of FL agents will respond ot unregistered vessels from another state (sc. which does not require reistration)>
Old 13-01-2009, 22:41   #44

the basics

Just to make the issue clear. I'm asking a practical problem to which no one on this thread may have an answer. I am not asking

1) can states require documented vessels be titled in the state if they rieside there. Answer " NO

2) Can states require cocumented vessels that reside in thier state most of the year , be registered in thier state? answer : now yes. twenty years ago no. but who cares. .
Old 13-01-2009, 22:55   #45

Pblais , I view you as a voice of reason in a sea of over indulgent egos's. but with respect to SC I' m not indulging in conjecture. SC doesn't require registration of documented vessels. it does impose a heay tax on any vessel "staying around to long".

My question is only substantive if my assumption that officials in fl assume vessels must be registered somewhere is correct. I am concerned with buying a documented vessel, with no state registration ( because I bought it in sc) , and having problems when I move it to fl

Tags
east coast