Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 12:31   #16

Boat: Shock Santana, 30
Re: San Diego Liveaboard-General Inquiry need advice/help

Check out Harbor Island West Marina. Slip fees are 17 ft. Our boat is here.
Slip fees include, water, wifi, pool, jacuzzi, bathrooms, showers and parking.
Only drawback is occasional jet noise from SD international airport. Otherwise, great location to go nearly anywhere.
Laid back people. Boats of all types here. Liveaboards too.

We scored a 79 Shock, Santana, 30 foot sailboat here for $6,500.
She's beautiful and very clean. Did have to do some engine work for about $1200. But that's nearly done. We've been using her as a condo, spending abou 2 weeks a month on her.

There is no, or very short wait time. Kind of a hidden gem for san diego.

[

QUOTE=billbentley;2427589]Thanks Lepke and Ann,

A multihull would be ideal, but out of the price range I'm looking to spend. I'm not adverse to motorboats, since they're generally more spacious and less costly to run for coastal and weekend trips (I'd probably be only doing trips to Catalina for the most part), still, there's also something romantic about the idea of sailing. Right now I'm keeping both of those options open when looking. My budget is pretty low, I'm thinking 5000 for maintenance, 15K for the boat, 10K roughly for slip/utilities & food for the first year. And around 15k per year after that.

San Diego is just expensive in general, unfortunately. I'm stuck here for another two years though until I finish at UCSD (in La Jolla). The cost a 200sqft studio per year is roughly ~14-15K including utilities, most in not so nice neighborhoods. Just seems I could do a little better with a vessel that I could at least get some enjoyment from. Chula Vista seems like the easiest place to get liveaboard slips, but the area seems pretty sketchy. Not sure about the waiting times for the other locations. All else fails I could do CV, it just wouldn't be my first choice.[/QUOTE]
DeeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:37   #17

Boat: Bristol 32

Try Boat Angel on eBay for a very low price boat of any type. Just read their fine print carefully. I lived on a 35' Sea Ray for several years alone in comfort in NC. Good luck. You seem well organized.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 16:59   #18

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Check our Harbor Sailing Club in San Diego.

Suggest that if you are serious about sailing, and seamanship. and staying alive at sea, starting off with structured lessons is very important. That means study, and work, on board, and classes. There aint no free lunch and the ocean does not love.

As to yoru budget, others have covered that, but maybe prior to purchasing a boat, you make sure that you really want to put in the effort and dedication .

Also, with association at a sailing club, you will be around other sailors and boaters and will get the local scoops to help you with your quest.

You also might check out the local sailing rag.....if they have the LOG available down there, pick it up, and go thru it. They have all kinds of happenings in their classified section, plus articles on power boats, sailing vessels, fishing, safety, etc.

The beach cities and harbors are expensive places to live, and you need to really sit down and assess what you can do. Slip fees vary all up and down the coast. You have received very good info from those on this board.

We moved back to the mainland from 10 years on kauai, and found the best happy hours in the harbor and Dana Point that the tourists do not know about.

We live in Dana Point, and our harbor is really low priced for slip fees....however, there is a great plan afoot, or afloat to have a whole new revamped. Removing the liveaboards, and change the dockage and slips and put in slips for huge yachts, and try to make it another Newport Beach.

That included tearing down our old beach restaurants, that are quite nice and have new buildings and shops constructed. Some of the old well established bars and restaurants will be moving into the new locations. All that is down the road, but just be advised.

I know Dana Point it is not San Diego, but just be advised, what ever you decide to do, research , and do the due dilligence program. Find where the local sailors, boaters, mechs, charter captains hang out, and talk story with them.

Dont get blindsided. And any boat that you buy, get it serveyed by a pro, and be warry of what owners or brokers tell you. Some are totally honest, others are not. With your budget, you will not likely recover from a bad decision.

A motor vessel is going to have a lot more room for living aboard than a sail boat. As to motor sailing, just buy a power boat since your speed and comfort is going to much higher. Plus if one of your goals is fishing, a power boat is a much better choice. And you can get out to the prime fishing grounds a heck of lot quicker. Two engines , if possible, is also going to make your life easier.......but motor vessels consume fuel.

Just FYI.... our take on the area, sailing, power boating, and living on board.

Others have given you some good honest and helpful replies as well as encouragement toward your goal.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 17:59   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

As I live in the Great Lakes area I am not well versed on marina cost. But to me this is the key factor in your equation. As been stated, there a lots of boats for sale, and there are some excellent bargains to be had if you are patient. If it were me, I would become an expert on the cost and requirements of every marina within the distance you are willing to commute to. You have a good plan if you can make it work for you financially. And as others have suggested, make availability inquiries in person as you will be judged on appearance.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 18:32   #20

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=captlloyd;2428286]ially. And as others have suggested, make availability inquiries in person as you will be judged on appearance

Your credit score will matter more.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 19:07   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

[QUOTE=Guy;2428299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
ially. And as others have suggested, make availability inquiries in person as you will be judged on appearance

Your credit score will matter more.
If they don't like your looks or your boats, they will not even bother with a credit check.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 21:08   #22

Hey everyone, thank you for your replies. Yes, I figured it is pretty expensive everywhere.

Even studios are expensive these days. I remember renting back in 2012-2013 before I bought my house and it wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now. Since the live-aboard costs are comparable to a small studio though, I'm fine with that, but I can definitely budget more for live-aboard/utilities costs if my original estimate was too low annually. The biggest costs will be initially, with the boat purchase and all.

5k a year sound reasonable for maintenance in a boat in my price range? I know older boats need more care, but older is what I'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japtenks View Post
Chula vista has been filling up pretty quick recently. I was gone over the 4th and there were 4 new boats on the dock I'm on.

Chula vista is not really a sketchy place. It is different the La Jolla, but that is just the nature of the beast.

There is a min 35' length for the live boards, but that has been worked around for a random number of people, you just have to be willing to pay for a 35 ft slip. It is a money game to them.

870 is the price for this year for the slip + liveboard fee for 35ft slip/boat with no overhang.

The marina it self is very nice, active community. You have access to a hot tub, pool, horseshoe pit, showers, laundry, bar and restaurant and wifi (but it is super slow). Access to grocery stores is easy, as is most other things, other then boating specific stores. But there are lots of other places near there that have supplies as well. I-5 is also right there, so getting places isn't bad as long as it is outside of rush hour.

The biggest downside is that the channel takes a bit to get to south bay, and to the ocean is even longer, but for sailing south bay is nice, as it is usually pretty empty. You can also slightly hear the I-5, but well that not really a big problem, imo.
Hey Japtenks, I'll check the marina out this weekend. I've never been down there, just going off hearsay, which is probably a bit disingenuous of me. Thanks for providing all the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeN
Check out Harbor Island West Marina. Slip fees are 17 ft. Our boat is here.
Slip fees include, water, wifi, pool, jacuzzi, bathrooms, showers and parking.
Only drawback is occasional jet noise from SD international airport. Otherwise, great location to go nearly anywhere.
Laid back people. Boats of all types here. Liveaboards too.

We scored a 79 Shock, Santana, 30 foot sailboat here for $6,500.
She's beautiful and very clean. Did have to do some engine work for about $1200. But that's nearly done. We've been using her as a condo, spending abou 2 weeks a month on her.

There is no, or very short wait time. Kind of a hidden gem for san diego.
I'll check that out when I tour some marinas this weekend, thanks for the tip! How long did you have to wait to find your boat? Any tips on finding a good deal?

Quote:
Check our Harbor Sailing Club in San Diego.

Suggest that if you are serious about sailing, and seamanship. and staying alive at sea, starting off with structured lessons is very important. That means study, and work, on board, and classes. There aint no free lunch and the ocean does not love.

As to yoru budget, others have covered that, but maybe prior to purchasing a boat, you make sure that you really want to put in the effort and dedication .

Also, with association at a sailing club, you will be around other sailors and boaters and will get the local scoops to help you with your quest.

You also might check out the local sailing rag.....if they have the LOG available down there, pick it up, and go thru it. They have all kinds of happenings in their classified section, plus articles on power boats, sailing vessels, fishing, safety, etc.

The beach cities and harbors are expensive places to live, and you need to really sit down and assess what you can do. Slip fees vary all up and down the coast. You have received very good info from those on this board.

We moved back to the mainland from 10 years on kauai, and found the best happy hours in the harbor and Dana Point that the tourists do not know about.

We live in Dana Point, and our harbor is really low priced for slip fees....however, there is a great plan afoot, or afloat to have a whole new revamped. Removing the liveaboards, and change the dockage and slips and put in slips for huge yachts, and try to make it another Newport Beach.

That included tearing down our old beach restaurants, that are quite nice and have new buildings and shops constructed. Some of the old well established bars and restaurants will be moving into the new locations. All that is down the road, but just be advised.

I know Dana Point it is not San Diego, but just be advised, what ever you decide to do, research , and do the due dilligence program. Find where the local sailors, boaters, mechs, charter captains hang out, and talk story with them.

Dont get blindsided. And any boat that you buy, get it serveyed by a pro, and be warry of what owners or brokers tell you. Some are totally honest, others are not. With your budget, you will not likely recover from a bad decision.

A motor vessel is going to have a lot more room for living aboard than a sail boat. As to motor sailing, just buy a power boat since your speed and comfort is going to much higher. Plus if one of your goals is fishing, a power boat is a much better choice. And you can get out to the prime fishing grounds a heck of lot quicker. Two engines , if possible, is also going to make your life easier.......but motor vessels consume fuel.

Just FYI.... our take on the area, sailing, power boating, and living on board.

Others have given you some good honest and helpful replies as well as encouragement toward your goal.

I've checked out their website and courses offered. It seems advantageous to become a member, so I'll do that and try to get in for the basic 101 ASA course on the 15th and 16th. From there how many of the ASA courses would you recommend? All the way up to advanced 106?

Also, I agree on the motor vessels. For my current situation and goals that seems to be the best fit. I don't plan on doing anything more for at least the first few years than weekend fishing and the occasional jaunt to Catalina.

Thanks for the information.

I'll make all the slip inquiries in person, I keep myself pretty clean.

As far as the credit check goes, I'm hoping some of the concern with my credit could be mitigated by paying the annual lease up front.

I also have time, so I'll be patient waiting for the right boat at the right price. I'm able to stay with my former coworkers after August, but I would like to not wear out my welcome with them.

If anyone with a good eye spots a good deal in the SD area, let me know!

Thanks everyone again for the taking the time, I really appreciate it.
billbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 19:29   #23

Bill,

My name is Bill as well, and I went through a quite painful divorce too. First, you are not alone... demoralized maybe, but not yet dead: keep a ferocious faith in yourself (you deserve it). I can't see the realism in what you're asking of yourself: are you okay with sleeping on your boat during a turn-you-green storm? It will not be beautiful weather all the time.
*having been where you are:

A. Get an apartment.
B. Go after a trailerable sailboat less than 25 feet long, like a San Juan, or well known blue-water seaworthy vessel. If you do, pay (close) attention to how the mast is stepped, or raised. I've had a lot of fun on my ($1800) Chrysler 22: a water camper! Once I refit it, I was safe and comfortable, and sailing easily.

Boats (are) cheap nowdays, but buying them is quite sketchy indeed.

If you are impoverished by child support, remember that a liveaboard is a legal home that cannot be confiscated. All parts of liveaboard sailboating is otherwise a complicated uphill battle.

Give yourself a few years to gather your wits, emotional strength, and resources before you saw the limb off that you're sitting on... liveaboard is no small feat.

Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 17:57   #24

Boat: Baba 40

Put your money into the boat and slip. Once things settle out, go for the maintenance.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 11:06   #25

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I still think u r better to rent for a while. One thought came to mind, perhaps a notice on the marina's board where u would sub let, like pay some or all of the slip fees in exchange for living privileges. You could even add some light maintance and perhaps fishing trips with the owner's if they r old or partially disabled. Just a thought but some times these ideas work out. I would save some $ so u r ready if the right situation comes along for cash.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, san diego